Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41289 times)

Re: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2017, 10:11:49 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
What's the plan resign all three and remain on the treadmill of mediocrity?

2013-14: 12th in conference, 6th pick in the draft.
2014-15: 7th in conference, 16th pick in draft.
2015-16: 5th in conference, 3rd pick in draft.
2016-17: 2nd in conference, #1 lottery odds.

Ladies and gentlemen: Behold the treadmill of mediocrity!
Nice try. Even if you take something out of its full context, C's never been a contender those years and didnt bottom out. That's mediocrity.

Yep. Bingo! Tp for you sir
So are you guys insinuating that the only way to being a contender is to completely bottom out and then rise to contendership through the draft? Because teams like Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas and Detroit would say that is completely wrong.
No one is suggesting such. I was saying C's have never been as bad as the worst but at the same time aren't contenders making them mediocre by NBA standards. Its probably a debate for another thread.
Celtics are about an hour and a half away from being in first place in the East. I think its fair to say they have moved beyond mediocrity. So your whole point that the Cs should trade players like IT or Bradley for more talent because thats the way to build a contender goes right out the window. They are now contenders and will only continue to be so as they get better by developing youth(Smart, Brown, both Nets picks) or trading assets for star players, which I think is more likely than you think. This team is beyond the collecting assets period. They are in the win now and in the future stage. Which is why teading a valuable asset and near All-Star level player like Bradley for Giles or anyone other than Fultz/Ball is ridiculous
First off it not final standings nor does standings make any team a contender just ask the Hawks. You are looking at fools gold if you are looking at standings today.

Beyond the contender vs mediocre debate just look at Spurs Leonard deal or better yet home Pats team philosophy. Just because you are a in the hunt doesn't mean you stop looking to aquire younger talent to replace talent you can not retain anyways. There is a salary cap in the NBA. You have to realize C's can't hold on to everyone and we are not contenders despite current standings.
Disagree with everything you said there except the Celtics have to stop looking for young talent. The great thing about the Pierce/KG trade is it now allows a contender like the Celtics to compete now for a chip as well as acquire and develop the best of the best young talent coming into the league.

Oh, and BTW, there is a salary cap and the Cs can go over it to keep players. So yes, they can resign players without just letting them go if they want
Disagree? Oh course you do you already called them contenders. And once again no they can't just retain people there is a luxary tax and repeater tax that makes the budget of a team unmanageable. It's a business first.
businessActually they can retain their talent by paying the luxury tax. They have before and will again.
You have on some seriously dark green glasses. IT is already asking for the Brinks truck. AB has complained about his pay and wants Beal $. Smart wants his money and/or a chance to start. KO, JJ, AJ are all up this year. C's are going to target Griffin and Hayward in FA. Say they get Hayward with Smart, AB, IT all resigned it would be over the cap by like $70 million in 2019 and thats counting on the cap rising! No way they doing that. When they were doing that it was different cause the tax is way down compared to now with repeater.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 10:18:26 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2017, 02:33:16 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Probably not a surpise, but Harry Giles is entering the NBA Draft:
Harry Giles has announced he will declare for the 2017 NBA Draft after one season at Duke.

Giles is expected to be a mid-first round pick. Giles was previously considered a probable top-5 pick in this draft class before suffering a number of injuries.

Giles tore the ACL in his right knee when a high school senior and then underwent left knee surgery in October, which limited his appearances with Duke.

Giles averaged 3.9 points and 3.8 rebounds in 11.5 minutes with Duke.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245435/Harry-Giles-Leaving-Duke-For-2017-NBA-Draft

Wonder how much he will fall in the actual draft due to all the red flags.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2017, 02:57:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Harry Giles has announced he will declare for the 2017 NBA Draft after one season at Duke.

Giles is expected to be a mid-first round pick. Giles was previously considered a probable top-5 pick in this draft class before suffering a number of injuries.

Giles tore the ACL in his right knee when a high school senior and then underwent left knee surgery in October, which limited his appearances with Duke.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245435/Harry-Giles-Leaving-Duke-For-2017-NBA-Draft

I think the smart thing for him to do would've been to play another year at Duke and work himself back into the top 5 conversation. That he's decided to enter the draft this year feels like he/the people around him don't have confidence that another year would improve his stock, and if that's the case I'd be nervous about drafting him.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2017, 03:13:54 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I think the smart thing for him to do would've been to play another year at Duke and work himself back into the top 5 conversation. That he's decided to enter the draft this year feels like he/the people around him don't have confidence that another year would improve his stock, and if that's the case I'd be nervous about drafting him.
yes, on one level, returning for year to increase his draft ranking would make him more money.

however, the potential, and very serious, drawback is that during his next year in college he blows out his knee once more.

such an accident could very well end his career, let alone further worsen his draft position.

the choice, it seems to me, is to take the sure thing now, or, gamble with the downside of losing everything. tough choice.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »

Offline notthebowler

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 27

Of course, pre-draft physicals will have a huge impact on where he ends up (to the extent he and his agent allow a physical to be performed).

Beyond that, I just can't see him falling too far.  There comes a point in the first round where you are most likely getting a role player anyway; why not take a chance on Giles?  To me, Portland is in the perfect situation to draft him, since they have 3 first round picks.

« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2017, 04:58:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

yes, on one level, returning for year to increase his draft ranking would make him more money.

however, the potential, and very serious, drawback is that during his next year in college he blows out his knee once more.

such an accident could very well end his career, let alone further worsen his draft position.

the choice, it seems to me, is to take the sure thing now, or, gamble with the downside of losing everything. tough choice.
Exactly. Since he's decided it's not worth taking that risk, a team thinking about drafting him might also have to conclude the same and not draft him.

Obviously, if team doctors clear him you might still take that chance. But the fact that he or the people around him don't want to chance another year in college, makes me more nervous.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #216 on: June 07, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
i wonder if Danny will try to get Giles to come in for a workout...

reading he looks much more explosive than he did several months ago

« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2017, 09:37:23 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
i wonder if Danny will try to get Giles to come in for a workout...

reading he looks much more explosive than he did several months ago

I'm all for leaving no stone unturned, but I don't see how it would matter. He's not worth the top pick at this point and we aren't likely going to add another lottery pick.

« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2017, 10:05:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Exactly. Since he's decided it's not worth taking that risk, a team thinking about drafting him might also have to conclude the same and not draft him.

Obviously, if team doctors clear him you might still take that chance. But the fact that he or the people around him don't want to chance another year in college, makes me more nervous.

How about this angle: He loves playing basketball, and he didn't get to play for the better part of two years.  In college there a few games and limited practice, and he'd rather spend a season in the D-league getting back his form than he would in college.  Money isn't as important to him, because he knows he'll get paid anyway, and he just wants to get back on the court as much as he can.

EDIT:  Didn't realize this was a necro'd thread and I was responding to a 10-week old post.

« Reply #219 on: October 06, 2017, 04:36:06 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/status/916400430061465600

Harry Giles will be out until January to work on strengthening his knees
(@TheSteinLine)

« Reply #220 on: October 06, 2017, 04:38:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

(@TheSteinLine)
Smart move.  If they have to they should just sit him for the year. 

« Reply #221 on: October 06, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Bust

« Reply #222 on: October 06, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102

« Reply #223 on: October 06, 2017, 06:34:45 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

(@TheSteinLine)

Definitely no rush, see what they have with Skal, WCS, and Papagiannis and let Zach Randolph establish his niche on the team.

« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140

(@TheSteinLine)

Definitely no rush, see what they have with Skal, WCS, and Papagiannis and let Zach Randolph establish his niche on the team.

Yikes, 4 months away from basketball to work on strengthening his knees?  Those things are TOAST!