Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41299 times)

Re: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)
« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2017, 12:02:45 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
What's the plan resign all three and remain on the treadmill of mediocrity?

2013-14: 12th in conference, 6th pick in the draft.
2014-15: 7th in conference, 16th pick in draft.
2015-16: 5th in conference, 3rd pick in draft.
2016-17: 2nd in conference, #1 lottery odds.

Ladies and gentlemen: Behold the treadmill of mediocrity!
Nice try. Even if you take something out of its full context, C's never been a contender those years and didnt bottom out. That's mediocrity.

So you're saying that because we didn't suck really bad for a few years, we are on the treadmill?

Here are the other teams in the #11-13 range of conference standings in 2013-14:

Detroit Pistons
Orlando Magic
Denver Nuggets
New Orleans Pelicans
Sacramento Kings

Tell me which ones you'd rather switch places with, and why. You know, among all the other comparable teams who avoided that treadmill of mediocrity we are stuck on.

« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:33 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Nice try. Even if you take something out of its full context, C's never been a contender those years and didnt bottom out. That's mediocrity.

So you're saying that because we didn't suck really bad for a few years, we are on the treadmill?

Here are the other teams in the #11-13 range of conference standings in 2013-14:

Detroit Pistons
Orlando Magic
Denver Nuggets
New Orleans Pelicans
Sacramento Kings

Tell me which ones you'd rather switch places with, and why. You know, among all the other comparable teams who avoided that treadmill of mediocrity we are stuck on.

The NO Pelicans. I'd trade our whole roster for Anthony Davis, and now they have Cousins as well.

« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Detroit Pistons
Orlando Magic
Denver Nuggets
New Orleans Pelicans
Sacramento Kings

The NO Pelicans. I'd trade our whole roster for Anthony Davis, and now they have Cousins as well.

Davis has 4 years left after this year on his contract.  Not once in those 4 seasons will New Orleans come within 5 wins of the Celtics for the same year.  I will take our franchise any day of the week.

« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think this is the Harry Giles thread.  If you want to have a thread about mediocrity, start your own.

« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:09 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think this is the Harry Giles thread.  If you want to have a thread about mediocrity, start your own.
Very true. But I'd taken Pelicans for the record. Or Kings preCousins trade.

« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If you want to have a thread about mediocrity, start your own.

Some might think that this applies to his play after an injury plagued and underwhelming year.

« Reply #201 on: March 21, 2017, 04:54:15 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
If you want to have a thread about mediocrity, start your own.

Some might think that this applies to his play after an injury plagued and underwhelming year.

Hah!  Well done.

« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28

Yep. Bingo! Tp for you sir

« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So are you guys insinuating that the only way to being a contender is to completely bottom out and then rise to contendership through the draft? Because teams like Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas and Detroit would say that is completely wrong.

« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2017, 08:52:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

So are you guys insinuating that the only way to being a contender is to completely bottom out and then rise to contendership through the draft? Because teams like Los Angeles, Miami, Dallas and Detroit would say that is completely wrong.
No one is suggesting such. I was saying C's have never been as bad as the worst but at the same time aren't contenders making them mediocre by NBA standards. Its probably a debate for another thread.

« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2017, 09:22:31 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

No one is suggesting such. I was saying C's have never been as bad as the worst but at the same time aren't contenders making them mediocre by NBA standards. Its probably a debate for another thread.
Celtics are about an hour and a half away from being in first place in the East. I think its fair to say they have moved beyond mediocrity. So your whole point that the Cs should trade players like IT or Bradley for more talent because thats the way to build a contender goes right out the window. They are now contenders and will only continue to be so as they get better by developing youth(Smart, Brown, both Nets picks) or trading assets for star players, which I think is more likely than you think. This team is beyond the collecting assets period. They are in the win now and in the future stage. Which is why teading a valuable asset and near All-Star level player like Bradley for Giles or anyone other than Fultz/Ball is ridiculous

« Reply #206 on: March 27, 2017, 09:35:11 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Celtics are about an hour and a half away from being in first place in the East. I think its fair to say they have moved beyond mediocrity. So your whole point that the Cs should trade players like IT or Bradley for more talent because thats the way to build a contender goes right out the window. They are now contenders and will only continue to be so as they get better by developing youth(Smart, Brown, both Nets picks) or trading assets for star players, which I think is more likely than you think. This team is beyond the collecting assets period. They are in the win now and in the future stage. Which is why teading a valuable asset and near All-Star level player like Bradley for Giles or anyone other than Fultz/Ball is ridiculous
First off its not final standings nor does standings make any team a contender just ask the Hawks. You are looking at fools gold if you are looking at standings today.

Beyond the contender vs mediocre debate just look at Spurs Leonard deal or better yet Pats team philosophy. Just because you are a in the hunt doesn't mean you stop looking to aquire younger talent to replace talent you can not retain anyways. There is a salary cap in the NBA. You have to realize C's can't hold on to everyone and we are not contenders despite current standings.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:41:30 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #207 on: March 27, 2017, 09:44:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

First off it not final standings nor does standings make any team a contender just ask the Hawks. You are looking at fools gold if you are looking at standings today.

Beyond the contender vs mediocre debate just look at Spurs Leonard deal or better yet home Pats team philosophy. Just because you are a in the hunt doesn't mean you stop looking to aquire younger talent to replace talent you can not retain anyways. There is a salary cap in the NBA. You have to realize C's can't hold on to everyone and we are not contenders despite current standings.
Disagree with everything you said there except the Celtics have to stop looking for young talent. The great thing about the Pierce/KG trade is it now allows a contender like the Celtics to compete now for a chip as well as acquire and develop the best of the best young talent coming into the league.

Oh, and BTW, there is a salary cap and the Cs can go over it to keep players. So yes, they can resign players without just letting them go if they want

« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2017, 09:57:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

First off it not final standings nor does standings make any team a contender just ask the Hawks. You are looking at fools gold if you are looking at standings today.

Beyond the contender vs mediocre debate just look at Spurs Leonard deal or better yet home Pats team philosophy. Just because you are a in the hunt doesn't mean you stop looking to aquire younger talent to replace talent you can not retain anyways. There is a salary cap in the NBA. You have to realize C's can't hold on to everyone and we are not contenders despite current standings.
Disagree with everything you said there except the Celtics have to stop looking for young talent. The great thing about the Pierce/KG trade is it now allows a contender like the Celtics to compete now for a chip as well as acquire and develop the best of the best young talent coming into the league.

Oh, and BTW, there is a salary cap and the Cs can go over it to keep players. So yes, they can resign players without just letting them go if they want
Disagree? Oh course you do you already called them contenders. And once again no they can't just retain people there is a luxary tax and repeater tax that makes the budget of a team unmanageable. It's a business first.

« Reply #209 on: March 27, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Disagree? Oh course you do you already called them contenders. And once again no they can't just retain people there is a luxary tax and repeater tax that makes the budget of a team unmanageable. It's a business first.
businessActually they can retain their talent by paying the luxury tax. They have before and will again.