Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41282 times)

Re: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2017, 07:25:02 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I would love for Danny to take a chance on Giles. I think he has the size/athleticism to be a star in this league. I think that the Celtics have enough draft capital to take a couple chances, assuming they nail the Brooklyn pick with either Fultz or Jackson.

I'm honestly hoping that Giles doesn't start crushing the competition at Duke. With a cold to luke warm tournament, he could very easily fall outside of the top 15. The Celtics could trade multiple non BKN firsts, along with multiple 2nd round picks and/or young players to get to #16, for instance.

Fultz+Giles (as the long term project) would be a good yield, while consolidating a couple of the many picks the Celtics have.

I will never understand all of the Giles love - he's having an awful season and he has had like 2 or 3 major knee injuries as an 18/19 year old kid.

I agree let's swing for the fences - if we can't get Fultz, go with Isaac.

Yes, but rhe person you quoted is assuminy we get Fultz. So it would be next to impossible to trade up for Isaac. 16 could happen, 2 top 5s aint gonna happen.

I get that. I am talking about for the Nets pick, not trading up. I also would not draft Giles at #15 if we had another pick, or even at #20.

« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Giles is getting more comfortable out there (very slowly tho). And he can really get boards. That's all he does for now. I wouldn't hesitate to draft him outside the top 10 but I don't see a scenario where DA gets another pick in the lottery (or in the first round for that matter). I would love to get another pick in the lottery. It's a nice draft inside the top 12 or 15. That is also where we can get another big. Not sure we'll have the roster spots for about 4 rookies (this includes Zizic) next year though. We'll certainly draft 1 or 2 more draft and stash players.
We would have to trade a player (like Bradley) to get another lotto pick.

« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Its possible that he could slide to 2nd round with the way he's performing right now. Remember Skal Labissiere?
I called Giles this year's Skal Labissiere in December and was told I was nuts. I think he goes mid to late first round...maybe later. Bad knee injury history and bad play will have him dropping like crazy

« Reply #153 on: February 04, 2017, 11:29:32 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Its possible that he could slide to 2nd round with the way he's performing right now. Remember Skal Labissiere?
I called Giles this year's Skal Labissiere in December and was told I was nuts. I think he goes mid to late first round...maybe later. Bad knee injury history and bad play will have him dropping like crazy

If he goes late 1st someone is getting a steal because even at this point in his process of coming back he has shown he can be an elite rebounder.

« Reply #154 on: February 04, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Giles slip was injury related. Skal was strictly performance related. Apples and oranges don't you think?

« Reply #155 on: February 04, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Giles slip was injury related. Skal was strictly performance related. Apples and oranges don't you think?
You really think Giles slip is only injury related?

« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

You really think Giles slip is only injury related?

Pretty hard to tell, don't you think?

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2017, 03:51:53 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Just listened to Locked On NBA podcast.

Chad Ford says that Giles is still a top 5 talent.  And if the medical staff finds no structural damage, teams should still take him very very high.  He just needs time to recover from the injury. Also he's been behind on understanding the Duke system. Once he's a pro - he can relax, breathe, and rehab properly.

Interesting development, if he does well with whole combine and workout process.

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

Chad Ford says that Giles is still a top 5 talent.  And if the medical staff finds no structural damage, teams should still take him very very high.  He just needs time to recover from the injury. Also he's been behind on understanding the Duke system. Once he's a pro - he can relax, breathe, and rehab properly.

Interesting development, if he does well with whole combine and workout process.

I believe it.  His HS career, college year, and draft status over the year kind of remind me of Skal Labissiere last year, no?  Who is starting to show some real promise in Sac now that minutes have opened up for him.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

soooo..waiting for the "hope to trade 1st/fultz for philly 5 and lakers draft 4, owned by philly" so we can draft JJ or Tatum 4th and Giles 5th??

« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2017, 04:13:44 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

soooo..waiting for the "hope to trade 1st/fultz for philly 5 and lakers draft 4, owned by philly" so we can draft JJ or Tatum 4th and Giles 5th??

Not really thinking about trades but wondering about some IFS:

If Giles continues to look better in tournament...
If Celtics end up picking 4th...
If he does well at combine/workouts...
If there is no structural damage...
If Danny doesn't find a good trade...

I would then wonder if he would be a good pick.

I had initially written Giles off...now I'm not so sure if that's wise to do.

« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
So because Chad Ford says he is still a high prospect he should be? Ford is the same guy that relentlessly pushed Exum, Mudiay, Bender and Hezonja as sure fire top 5 guys when there wasn't the greatest evidence of them being such. The evidence really isn't there for Giles. I wouldn't risk a top 5 pick on him. There's a lot of ifs and not a lot of evidence that he deserves a top 5 selection. Especially when Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, and Smith have looked so good. Then you have Markkanen, Monk, Fox, and Issac. Just don't see Giles breaking the top nine with so many possible red flags.

« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
So because Chad Ford says he is still a high prospect he should be? Ford is the same guy that relentlessly pushed Exum, Mudiay, Bender and Hezonja as sure fire top 5 guys when there wasn't the greatest evidence of them being such. The evidence really isn't there for Giles. I wouldn't risk a top 5 pick on him. There's a lot of ifs and not a lot of evidence that he deserves a top 5 selection. Especially when Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, and Smith have looked so good. Then you have Markkanen, Monk, Fox, and Issac. Just don't see Giles breaking the top nine with so many possible red flags.

I agree it is unlikely he climbs to top 5, but could see him climb to top 10, if he is healthy, even if he doesn't perform that well in tourney. This kid was national consensus no. 1 in HS his  senior a year ago. As he gets healthier you can see his elite athleticism returning. There are a dearth of really good bigs in this draft.

Also, you can see he has competitive fire.  After a screw up he made during a recent game, you could see his frustration on the bench. Probably over the limitations placed on him by injury recovery process, being behind, limited minutes, etc.  The only red flag is whether doctors examine him and conclude he is more likely to incur another knee injury, based on his history.

« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I agree it is unlikely he climbs to top 5, but could see him climb to top 10, if he is healthy, even if he doesn't perform that well in tourney. This kid was national consensus no. 1 in HS his  senior a year ago. As he gets healthier you can see his elite athleticism returning. There are a dearth of really good bigs in this draft.

Also, you can see he has competitive fire.  After a screw up he made during a recent game, you could see his frustration on the bench. Probably over the limitations placed on him by injury recovery process, being behind, limited minutes, etc.  The only red flag is whether doctors examine him and conclude he is more likely to incur another knee injury, based on his history.

The answer to that last query is yes, he is more likely to suffer a subsequent injury.

Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction (ACLR) surgery is a common knee injury procedure, but the overall incidence rate of having to go through it again within 24 months is 6 times greater than someone who has never had an ACL tear, according to researchers presenting their work today at the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine's (AOSSM) Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2017, 05:39:05 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Other than his rebounding, I haven't seen anything special from Giles.  Not sure that he projects particularly well as a PF or C.  Needs to get stronger.  Needs to develop a jumper.  His defense needs to improve a lot.  That being said, I like upside picks so I might still take him as high as 13th or 14th in this draft assuming that he checks out medically.