Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41279 times)

Re: Harry Giles Dropping Like a Stone on DraftExpress
« Reply #135 on: January 17, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Here's an article on Forbes calling Maker the biggest reach in the draft and listing a few other sites that had him in the second round.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachpetersel/2016/06/23/biggest-reaches-in-2016-nba-draft/#bf0524b40175

« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2017, 08:19:14 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I can feel right now that we will be more likely to draft the 7'1 Justin Patton than the 6'10 Harry Giles with our BKN 2017 pick... Believe it or not...
Is there a moch draft that has Patton in the top 15?
Yes, # 14 here :

https://theringer.com/the-ringers-2017-nba-draft-lottery-big-board-version-2-0-446c31b6a473#.v9dqo56sb
Yeah but you can't use a top 3 pick on a guy who is number 14 on one draft board.

Sure you can, if you're convinced that he's the right guy.  It takes guts, but that's what GM's are supposed to do.  The obsession with mock drafts (I'm guilty too!) is a little out of control.
Anthony Bennett style!

« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:37 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
i'll repeat. stay in school.
rehab.
dominate. fall back into the top 5.
just in time for the new rookie wages from the new CBA.

That would be my advice to the young man as well, except ...

If he has any chance of being drafted in the first round, no matter how late, he has to go for it to get that guaranteed contract.   Even for an end-of-first round player, that's life-changing money.   And staying in school another year runs the risk of another injury that could completely wipe out any chance at the NBA.

And also consider that while this coming draft seem pretty weak on big men, the 2018 draft looks like it may be loaded with very talented true bigs.   Giles would have to really come back strong if his hope is to re-claim a top of the draft slot in 2018.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I'm curious where he stands after he gets several games in. May not be top of the charts, but I don't think he's Skal, either.

Mike

If the draft was held today, giles would be drafted at the tail end of the lotto to late teens

But imo he is still rusty and not fully recovered from his surgery.  I would give it until the last 5 games of the season

Where was Thon Maker drafted? He was projected as a deep 2nd rounder at one point.

I think Giles is a top 10 pick, regardless of what he does at Duke.

There are a bunch of guys that I like in this draft for the Celtics:

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

I would take Giles 5th, if Ball was taken.

IMO Thon Maker is black mark on draft express. They insisted on downplaying him even though it was clear someone (rightly or wrongly) was going to take him fairly early. They changed their mock at the last minute. But it raises the question, is draft express really a mock, or list of guys they like? Because if it's a mock, they dropped the ball on Thon Maker (and I think it was their own bias getting in the way).

Maker may have been a reach by Bucks. Does he get any PT so far? Don't think so.  Is he hurt?

For every Greek Freak, there are 99 Thon Makers who measure great but just don't work out. Too soon to say about him, I understand, but the odds work that way.

If Draft Express is doing a mock, they should predict someone reaching on a player like Thon, when it was pretty clear someone was going to (and the Bucks actually did). I think they fell more into ranking him as a second round talent which, while more appropriate from a talent evaluation standpoint, does not represent a "mock draft", or at least certainly not an accurate one.

It's only relevant here, because it seems a similar discussion is forming around Giles. Some people are talking about how far he's dropping, others project him to still be drafted quite high. When citing Draft Express as an example of his dropping stock, it's good to keep in mind they have a recent history of being incorrect when it comes to predicting a similar risk/reward scenario (albeit due to different circumstances).

To be fair, DraftExpress was not alone in totally blowing it with most of last-years draft.

The problem for public draft mocks and rankings in the media is ultimately, they have no clue as to how the GMs are internally ranking the players.  And it seems the teams are relying more and more on private work outs and their own scouting to evaluate players.

You have to take all the public media draft boards and mocks with a huge grain of salt.  DraftExpress is still probably more useful than most as a central source of information on the players, though.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I'm curious where he stands after he gets several games in. May not be top of the charts, but I don't think he's Skal, either.

Mike

If the draft was held today, giles would be drafted at the tail end of the lotto to late teens

But imo he is still rusty and not fully recovered from his surgery.  I would give it until the last 5 games of the season

Where was Thon Maker drafted? He was projected as a deep 2nd rounder at one point.

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

IMO Thon Maker is black mark on draft express. They insisted on downplaying him even though it was clear someone (rightly or wrongly) was going to take him fairly early. They changed their mock at the last minute. But it raises the question, is draft express really a mock, or list of guys they like? Because if it's a mock, they dropped the ball on Thon Maker (and I think it was their own bias getting in the way).

Maker may have been a reach by Bucks. Does he get any PT so far? Don't think so.  Is he hurt?

For every Greek Freak, there are 99 Thon Makers who measure great but just don't work out. Too soon to say about him, I understand, but the odds work that way.

If Draft Express is doing a mock, they should predict someone reaching on a player like Thon, when it was pretty clear someone was going to (and the Bucks actually did). I think they fell more into ranking him as a second round talent which, while more appropriate from a talent evaluation standpoint, does not represent a "mock draft", or at least certainly not an accurate one.

It's only relevant here, because it seems a similar discussion is forming around Giles. Some people are talking about how far he's dropping, others project him to still be drafted quite high. When citing Draft Express as an example of his dropping stock, it's good to keep in mind they have a recent history of being incorrect when it comes to predicting a similar risk/reward scenario (albeit due to different circumstances).

To be fair, DraftExpress was not alone in totally blowing it with most of last-years draft.

The problem for public draft mocks and rankings in the media is ultimately, they have no clue as to how the GMs are internally ranking the players.  And it seems the teams are relying more and more on private work outs and their own scouting to evaluate players.

You have to take all the public media draft boards and mocks with a huge grain of salt.  DraftExpress is still probably more useful than most as a central source of information on the players, though.
Indeed, dare we even venture that the mocks should be taken as fun and entertaining? And not as definitive or real? ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:10 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Anyone interested in trading for another 1st to get him along with the Nets pick. If we walked out of this draft with Fultz and Giles that would be something!

« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2017, 08:53:34 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Mike

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

Indeed, dare we even venture that the mocks should be taken as fun and entertaining? And not as definitive or real? ;D

Heresy!

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2017, 11:33:46 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Im not really sure why this is news. The guy had been out since the begining of his senior year and then had a small surgery before the season started. Its no surprise that he is where he is right now. The guy has played like 6 games without the benefit of training camp or preseason games. If he still looks like this the end of next month then there might be cause for concern although I will say we the public will never really know what he looks like because the few weeks right before the draft is when he should be at his strongest

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2017, 11:42:25 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Anyone interested in trading for another 1st to get him along with the Nets pick. If we walked out of this draft with Fultz and Giles that would be something!

Trading Bradley for a 1st rd pick to acquire Giles, drafting Fultz, and signing Hayward seems like a really good off-season.

How fun would this be:

Horford
Crowder
? (Unknown Big Man)
Thomas
Hayward

Giles
Brown
Zizic
Smart
Fultz

« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2017, 04:48:04 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
While everyone is all excited about the game that Smith had last night against Duke, but I think people are overlooking what Giles did last night. No he didnt blow away the competition last night but you started to see his game coming back to him a little bit. Step back jumper, was able to run the floor and not jog, able to hedge screens and not get blown past every time, and able to move more fluid than he did two weeks ago.

Im curious to see how he looks a month from now. I dont expect him to be back 100% but I think we are starting to see signs of what he at the beginning of his junior year of HS.

Stay tuned for more flashes I guess.

« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:57 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Mike

-Fultz
-Tatum
-Jackson
-Ball
-Isaac
-Ivan Rabb

To be a little fair to DX, outside the top 2, nobody really knew where anyone was going, really (maybe Dunn to Minny was no-brainer). It wasn't seen as a good draft around June. A bunch good players with some good skill sets but nothing off the charts good. Even the top 2 had legit question marks and they were the consensus top 2.

Re: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2017, 11:13:39 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I would love for Danny to take a chance on Giles. I think he has the size/athleticism to be a star in this league. I think that the Celtics have enough draft capital to take a couple chances, assuming they nail the Brooklyn pick with either Fultz or Jackson.

I'm honestly hoping that Giles doesn't start crushing the competition at Duke. With a cold to luke warm tournament, he could very easily fall outside of the top 15. The Celtics could trade multiple non BKN firsts, along with multiple 2nd round picks and/or young players to get to #16, for instance.

Fultz+Giles (as the long term project) would be a good yield, while consolidating a couple of the many picks the Celtics have.

« Reply #147 on: February 03, 2017, 03:15:11 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
I would love for Danny to take a chance on Giles. I think he has the size/athleticism to be a star in this league. I think that the Celtics have enough draft capital to take a couple chances, assuming they nail the Brooklyn pick with either Fultz or Jackson.

I'm honestly hoping that Giles doesn't start crushing the competition at Duke. With a cold to luke warm tournament, he could very easily fall outside of the top 15. The Celtics could trade multiple non BKN firsts, along with multiple 2nd round picks and/or young players to get to #16, for instance.

Fultz+Giles (as the long term project) would be a good yield, while consolidating a couple of the many picks the Celtics have.

I will never understand all of the Giles love - he's having an awful season and he has had like 2 or 3 major knee injuries as an 18/19 year old kid.

I agree let's swing for the fences - if we can't get Fultz, go with Isaac.

« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2017, 03:39:04 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Its possible that he could slide to 2nd round with the way he's performing right now. Remember Skal Labissiere?

« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2017, 06:50:25 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

I will never understand all of the Giles love - he's having an awful season and he has had like 2 or 3 major knee injuries as an 18/19 year old kid.

I agree let's swing for the fences - if we can't get Fultz, go with Isaac.

Yes, but rhe person you quoted is assuminy we get Fultz. So it would be next to impossible to trade up for Isaac. 16 could happen, 2 top 5s aint gonna happen.
#JKJB