Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41297 times)

Re: Harry Giles is our guy
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2017, 11:21:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
it is really hard to say much with any confidence and authority, given giles' limited playing time so far. but....if his knees are healthy, he looks to be the #1 pick. the kid seems to have real talent.

His knee surgeries make it highly unlikely he will be the number one pick, even if he puts up Embiid numbers, and given the high regard for Fultz.

But I love the kid and would take him at 1, or trade down to take him and get some extra juice.

However, Danny may balk, for a couple of reasons:  Leon Powe (how quickly he went out of league) and Brandon Roy.  Danny didn't take Roy in '05 draft (or was it '06?) because of his knee concerns.

Roy was one pick ahead of Danny's reach. And as great as Roy was when healthy, I'm glad we dodge a bullet right there.

Not completely true.  Danny traded the pick to Portland, which picked Foye and swapped him for Roy straight up.  Minnesota was willing to slide down one spot for nothing -- surely if Ainge had kept the pick instead of trading it he could have done the same.

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:07 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
You assume that but again its not accurate. Angie never had a shot at Roy so if you want to be mad at him be mad at him for Roye not Roy

it is really hard to say much with any confidence and authority, given giles' limited playing time so far. but....if his knees are healthy, he looks to be the #1 pick. the kid seems to have real talent.

His knee surgeries make it highly unlikely he will be the number one pick, even if he puts up Embiid numbers, and given the high regard for Fultz.

But I love the kid and would take him at 1, or trade down to take him and get some extra juice.

However, Danny may balk, for a couple of reasons:  Leon Powe (how quickly he went out of league) and Brandon Roy.  Danny didn't take Roy in '05 draft (or was it '06?) because of his knee concerns.

Roy was one pick ahead of Danny's reach. And as great as Roy was when healthy, I'm glad we dodge a bullet right there.

Not completely true.  Danny traded the pick to Portland, which picked Foye and swapped him for Roy straight up.  Minnesota was willing to slide down one spot for nothing -- surely if Ainge had kept the pick instead of trading it he could have done the same.

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2017, 11:52:17 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
I understand the thirstiness for a big man on this Celtics squad, but unless we end up with the 5th or 6th pick I wouldn't even scout the guy. There are too many elite prospects at the top that are game changers in their own right. Who cares what position they play.

3 ACL injuries in as many years is scary and is asking for a bust.

I'd be happier with Ivan Rabb who has shown he has just as much athleticism, more skill,no injury risk, and has stretched his range out to the 3.

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2017, 11:54:36 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
You assume that but again its not accurate. Angie never had a shot at Roy so if you want to be mad at him be mad at him for Roye not Roy

If Ainge "never had a shot" at Roy, and wanted him, then he screwed up.  Because Roy was traded straight up for the Celtics pick immediately after the pick was announced.  All he had to do was call
up Minnesota and say "want to swap spots?" and it would have been done, apparently (as that's what Portland did.)

Also, can you please be like every other poster here and respond under the prior comment rather than over.  It's a pain reading your comments otherwise.  Thanks!

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
I understand the thirstiness for a big man on this Celtics squad, but unless we end up with the 5th or 6th pick I wouldn't even scout the guy. There are too many elite prospects at the top that are game changers in their own right. Who cares what position they play.

I'd be happier with Ivan Rabb who has shown he has just as much athleticism, more skill,no injury risk, and has stretched his range out to the 3.

And that would be a mistake. I cant speak for other people but my interest in him has very little to do with being a big. This team struggles to score anywhere near the rim. Their style gets very stagnant. It took them 19 3s last night to barely win a game.

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

And that is how you end up turning down 4 firsts to move down 7 slots, and then draft Frank Kaminsky
I'm bitter.

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

If Ainge "never had a shot" at Roy, and wanted him, then he screwed up.  Because Roy was traded straight up for the Celtics pick immediately after the pick was announced.  All he had to do was call
up Minnesota and say "want to swap spots?" and it would have been done, apparently (as that's what Portland did.)

Also, can you please be like every other poster here and respond under the prior comment rather than over.  It's a pain reading your comments otherwise.  Thanks!

Again this is stupid. Roy had a degenerative knee disorder and was picked before Ainge picked. They are not the same issue. You are making up situations that you have no fact of even being available.

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2017, 10:41:03 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I think we need to hold onto this pick until we are sure that we have a top 3 pick or a 1 or 2 after the ping pong balls and then trade this pick to the highest bidder.

We simply do NOT need more guards and swings.

Trade it for a REAL starting center!!

Smitty77

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2017, 10:50:44 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Again this is stupid. Roy had a degenerative knee disorder and was picked before Ainge picked. They are not the same issue. You are making up situations that you have no fact of even being available.

He's not making up the fact that the 6th pick (Brandon Roy) was traded for the 7th pick (Randy Foye) straight up. Look it up, that happened. There's no reason to think that, if Danny had wanted to, he couldn't have done the same trade that Portland did (literally the exact same trade)

Or do you think that the Timberwolves would only make that trade with Portland (a team in their division), but not Boston (a team in the other conference)? Keep in mind this was pre-KG trade and McHale was the GM in Minnesota
I'm bitter.

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2017, 11:12:54 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

He's not making up the fact that the 6th pick (Brandon Roy) was traded for the 7th pick (Randy Foye) straight up. Look it up, that happened. There's no reason to think that, if Danny had wanted to, he couldn't have done the same trade that Portland did (literally the exact same trade)

Or do you think that the Timberwolves would only make that trade with Portland (a team in their division), but not Boston (a team in the other conference)? Keep in mind this was pre-KG trade and McHale was the GM in Minnesota

Who said that he was making up that fact? Roy went 6th Roye went 7th. Ainge had the 7th pick thus not having the chance to take him. You can assume that he could have made the trade but you dont know that. You dont know the timeline of those deals. Never has the timeline of those deals come out.

It doesnt really matter who McHale would have done deals with. Obviously if the deal was offered to Ainge then he didnt like the deal. Maybe the fact that Roy had a degenerative knee disorder had something to do with it. Everyone who wants to argue with me seems to be totally dismissing this fact. Giles has had ACL surgeries and we dont have any reports on his knees being in the same condition as Roy's.

If you can show me anywhere where it says that deal was offered to Ainge and he turned it down then I will gladly say you were correct and I am totally wrong.

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Who said that he was making up that fact? Roy went 6th Roye went 7th. Ainge had the 7th pick thus not having the chance to take him. You can assume that he could have made the trade but you dont know that. You dont know the timeline of those deals. Never has the timeline of those deals come out.

It doesnt really matter who McHale would have done deals with. Obviously if the deal was offered to Ainge then he didnt like the deal. Maybe the fact that Roy had a degenerative knee disorder had something to do with it. Everyone who wants to argue with me seems to be totally dismissing this fact. Giles has had ACL surgeries and we dont have any reports on his knees being in the same condition as Roy's.

If you can show me anywhere where it says that deal was offered to Ainge and he turned it down then I will gladly say you were correct and I am totally wrong.

Not a single person here has said that Ainge would have taken Roy. What we're currently arguing is you saying "You assume that but again its not accurate. Ainge never had a shot at Roy" after saltlover said that he did have a shot at Roy (and it certainly seems like he did)

And I'm not saying that he definitely had that deal offered to him, I'm just refuting your stance that it definitely wasn't and that "Ainge never had a shot at Roy"
I'm bitter.

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2017, 12:08:32 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Giles reminds me of Chris Webber, my favorite player of the early-2000s, without the extracurricular problems. If his knees check out, I'd love for the Celtics to draft him.

He's #1 on my personal big board, mostly because I see something special in him. I know that's not super-scientific, but guys like Ball and Tatum just don't do it for me. I haven't seen a lot of Fultz yet.

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Not a single person here has said that Ainge would have taken Roy. What we're currently arguing is you saying "You assume that but again its not accurate. Ainge never had a shot at Roy" after saltlover said that he did have a shot at Roy (and it certainly seems like he did)

And I'm not saying that he definitely had that deal offered to him, I'm just refuting your stance that it definitely wasn't and that "Ainge never had a shot at Roy"

The original issue was the statement that was that Ainge passed on Roy thus he would not take Giles. I stated that he never passed on Roy because Roy was picked 6th and Ainge had the 7th pick. There is no evidence that Ainge passed on him or that the deal that materialized was before Ainge made the deal with Portland. From my memory his deal was before the Portland Wolves game.

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Guy is getting better each game. Had an 10/12 against Georgia Tech, followed by 12/5 against Boston College

« Reply #89 on: January 09, 2017, 11:04:31 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I know I just made a post about how we need to draft Josh Jackson, but I have changed my mind. I now stand in favor of drafting Harry Giles. He has the potential to be a Deandre Jordan Type rebounder, which would do wonders for our team. He is a versatility defender who can guard the perimeter and protect the rim. He has shown flashes on offense with his post hooks and runners. He is a very good athlete, can finish above the rim, and has a decent mid range jumper. He has great size at 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan. Watching him rebound with his long body and nose for the ball send shivers of excitement down my spine. I can only imagine how good our team could be with a guy like Giles. Even with all of his injuries I would still take a chance on him, given his insane talent and upside.

Here is his scouting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoBrMdMfWh4

Giles is like 65 percent kemp and 35 percent horford

Fine prospect but too many injuries.. risky pick
32.5% Kemp, 17.5% Horford, and 50% Oden

Oh snap!