Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41276 times)

Re: Harry Giles is our guy
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2017, 03:45:37 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I'm glad someone bumped this thread up. I was watching the game and Jay Bilas said he could go as far as his talent takes him and that he could still be the number 1 pick, IF the team doctors clear him.

Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
He looked really good on the highlights I saw. It's very tempting to draft him, but we should resist at all costs because of his injury.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Im not trying to go with a youth movement. I just want to establish 3 young players that I can build around. I do look at Smart but in a different way. More of the DJ to the Big 3. I would trade that 18 pick in a heartbeat.

If the Cs landed at 1 and Philly landed at 3 & 7. I would trade the 1 plus players for 3 & 7 and flip 7 plus next years Brooklyn plus other picks and players for a star.

I dont like the 18 draft at all so far. At least not enough where I wouldnt cash in that chip for any pick plus players 1 - 9 in this draft

Im not sure they would. Its not like 1 is considered to be Davis or Town or a player like that. My premise is that if I could get Tatum and Giles you can trade away all the rest of those picks even the 18 for something.

Im not sure what you consider as going our way. I consider it top 4. In my perfect world the Cs end up at 1 and Philly gets 3 and 7 and desperately wants Fultz. Would really put this team in a great position.

I'd like Giles to be considered no better than the 5th best prospect.  That way when the lottery inevitably doesn't go our way we can still pick the player who could be the best fit.

dude that would be awesome, I'm holding out hope on that #1 pick though. I think Philly will still have to add something to that trade if it is #1.

That can be a better haul than just Fultz. then we can add another big in the 2018 draft. A future core lineup of Smart/Brown/Tatum/Giles/Ayton!?... it's gonna get spooky here in Beantown.

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
He's a perfect fit and a supreme talent. If his knees check out, there will be no reason not to pick him.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2017, 04:38:55 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Talented but fragile, his knees scare me quite a bit.

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2017, 04:43:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

This ......why I'm a Fultz guy .

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2017, 05:18:12 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Im more on the Tatum line than Fultz although I like both.

This ......why I'm a Fultz guy .

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2017, 05:49:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
it is really hard to say much with any confidence and authority, given giles' limited playing time so far. but....if his knees are healthy, he looks to be the #1 pick. the kid seems to have real talent.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2017, 06:20:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If Danny's medical staff truly trusts Giles knees to be 100% sound, then I'll trust them.

But if there is even the slightest doubt about how well they look for the long run, I just can't myself see gambling what is almost certainly a top 5 pick on him.

I know that many fans here yearn for a stud big man talent because it has been, like, forever since we had one.   But Danny has to draft for best player available, not need.  And best player available has to take into account health and long term prognosis.

Also, folks might want to remind themselves that in addition to whomever we pick with the Nets pick, we will also be bringing Yabusele and Zizic on board next year.

Zizic is a similar style of player to Giles:  He's a long, energetic and athletic big who plays in the post on both ends, grabs every rebound, can run the floor and finish above the rim.

Heck, folks should consider that Zizic only just turned 20 yesterday, is slightly taller and longer than Giles (7'0", 7' 3" wingspan, 9' 3" standing reach) and already big enough to play C in the NBA (~260 lbs of muscle). 

I'm not dumb enough to say that Zizic has the same upside as a fully healthy Giles would have, but we just don't know if Giles will be able to reach that upside anymore.   

The main point though, is if the 'need' that folks want to address with this pick is to add a talented young 7 footer who can finally fill the role of athletic, long, rebounding low-post big man, they should remember that we already have one guy slated for that role next year.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2017, 07:23:35 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
I dont look at Zizic in this equation because they are different type of players. Giles is more like KG. Not as skilled and no Im not saying that's his upside. Im saying that in terms of face up games, long with an attitude they are similar.

I dont like Giles because he is a big. I like Giles because he changes the dynamic of his team from a straight dribble handoff team to a team that can play at the elbows. Run weakside lobs. A guy who can roll to the rim and finish with authority.

The stating line up is very limited to me which I think shows up in the 4th quarter of every game hence IT getting virtually every shot attempt.

If Danny's medical staff truly trusts Giles knees to be 100% sound, then I'll trust them.

But if there is even the slightest doubt about how well they look for the long run, I just can't myself see gambling what is almost certainly a top 5 pick on him.

I know that many fans here yearn for a stud big man talent because it has been, like, forever since we had one.   But Danny has to draft for best player available, not need.  And best player available has to take into account health and long term prognosis.

Also, folks might want to remind themselves that in addition to whomever we pick with the Nets pick, we will also be bringing Yabusele and Zizic on board next year.

Zizic is a similar style of player to Giles:  He's a long, energetic and athletic big who plays in the post on both ends, grabs every rebound, can run the floor and finish above the rim.

Heck, folks should consider that Zizic only just turned 20 yesterday, is slightly taller and longer than Giles (7'0", 7' 3" wingspan, 9' 3" standing reach) and already big enough to play C in the NBA (~260 lbs of muscle). 

I'm not dumb enough to say that Zizic has the same upside as a fully healthy Giles would have, but we just don't know if Giles will be able to reach that upside anymore.   

The main point though, is if the 'need' that folks want to address with this pick is to add a talented young 7 footer who can finally fill the role of athletic, long, rebounding low-post big man, they should remember that we already have one guy slated for that role next year.

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2017, 02:35:59 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I dont look at Zizic in this equation because they are different type of players. Giles is more like KG. Not as skilled and no Im not saying that's his upside. Im saying that in terms of face up games, long with an attitude they are similar.

I dont like Giles because he is a big. I like Giles because he changes the dynamic of his team from a straight dribble handoff team to a team that can play at the elbows. Run weakside lobs. A guy who can roll to the rim and finish with authority.

The stating line up is very limited to me which I think shows up in the 4th quarter of every game hence IT getting virtually every shot attempt.

1) I think it is a mistake to draft based on perceived needs of the current starting lineup.   No rookie we add next year is going to be a major contributor to the starting lineup for some time.
2) I've seen no indication that Giles has anything like the mid-range shooting skill of Kevin Garnett, which was a powerful part of his offensive repertoire.  KG was also an incredibly skilled back-to-the-basket post-up freak that turned defenders into pretzels.   Other than length and athleticism, I'm not seeing the similarity on offense you seem to see between Giles and KG.

Both Giles and Zizic operate primarily as pick & roll, "rollers", and baseline clean-up artists, getting almost all their points within a few feet of the basket.   If you think Zizic doesn't roll to the hoop, you haven't spent any time watching him.   Giles is a quicker, more vertically explosive player near the hoop, but Zizic isn't a slug and what he may lack in quicks he more than makes up in raw power.  Both are very natural with their footwork around the hoop, but at least at this point, Zizic is more experienced and more skilled.   That's not really a knock on Giles -- he simply hasn't played nearly as much over the last couple years and Zizic has been playing pro-ball, rather than school boys.

Giles quickness and grace teases that he has an incredible upside that may be well beyond what one has a right to expect out of Zizic.   But my point has simply been that you can't ignore the risk involved with his knees that could prevent him from ever reaching that upside and that Zizic presents a more-than-nice 'consolation' rookie big man to be adding next Fall that we don't even have to expend a draft pick on.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
it is really hard to say much with any confidence and authority, given giles' limited playing time so far. but....if his knees are healthy, he looks to be the #1 pick. the kid seems to have real talent.

His knee surgeries make it highly unlikely he will be the number one pick, even if he puts up Embiid numbers, and given the high regard for Fultz.

But I love the kid and would take him at 1, or trade down to take him and get some extra juice.

However, Danny may balk, for a couple of reasons:  Leon Powe (how quickly he went out of league) and Brandon Roy.  Danny didn't take Roy in '05 draft (or was it '06?) because of his knee concerns.

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2017, 11:11:37 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
They are similar in that they are face up bigs with smaller frames that are very athletic. What GIles has shown at Duke in terms of a face up game is not what he has shown in the past. Im not sure what Zizic has to do with anything. Im taking the highest upside player if his knees check out and Tatum is off the board.

IN terms of basing the picks on the starters, I mention the starters because they are limited in their ability however they are solid players. There is a clear need for more dynamic players at almost all positions.

1) I think it is a mistake to draft based on perceived needs of the current starting lineup.   No rookie we add next year is going to be a major contributor to the starting lineup for some time.
2) I've seen no indication that Giles has anything like the mid-range shooting skill of Kevin Garnett, which was a powerful part of his offensive repertoire.  KG was also an incredibly skilled back-to-the-basket post-up freak that turned defenders into pretzels.   Other than length and athleticism, I'm not seeing the similarity on offense you seem to see between Giles and KG.

Both Giles and Zizic operate primarily as pick & roll, "rollers", and baseline clean-up artists, getting almost all their points within a few feet of the basket.   If you think Zizic doesn't roll to the hoop, you haven't spent any time watching him.   Giles is a quicker, more vertically explosive player near the hoop, but Zizic isn't a slug and what he may lack in quicks he more than makes up in raw power.  Both are very natural with their footwork around the hoop, but at least at this point, Zizic is more experienced and more skilled.   That's not really a knock on Giles -- he simply hasn't played nearly as much over the last couple years and Zizic has been playing pro-ball, rather than school boys.

Giles quickness and grace teases that he has an incredible upside that may be well beyond what one has a right to expect out of Zizic.   But my point has simply been that you can't ignore the risk involved with his knees that could prevent him from ever reaching that upside and that Zizic presents a more-than-nice 'consolation' rookie big man to be adding next Fall that we don't even have to expend a draft pick on.

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2017, 11:13:55 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Im not sure these are similar. Powe ended up being a below the rim player when he took him. He never had a chance at Roy so that certainly is not an example. Roy also had a degenitive knee disorder which so far is not the case with GIles

His knee surgeries make it highly unlikely he will be the number one pick, even if he puts up Embiid numbers, and given the high regard for Fultz.

But I love the kid and would take him at 1, or trade down to take him and get some extra juice.

However, Danny may balk, for a couple of reasons:  Leon Powe (how quickly he went out of league) and Brandon Roy.  Danny didn't take Roy in '05 draft (or was it '06?) because of his knee concerns.

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2017, 11:16:51 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Roy was one pick ahead of Danny's reach. And as great as Roy was when healthy, I'm glad we dodge a bullet right there.