Author Topic: Harry Giles Thread (Merged)  (Read 41311 times)

Re: Harry Giles is our guy
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2016, 09:18:35 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
As others have said: Huge risk, Huge Reward.

A healthy, cleared Giles would go #1 in this draft unless one of the Internationals somehow does something incredibly extraordinary.

So being able to pick him will depend both on where we pick and how uncertain his prognosis is.

Embiid, projected #1 for most of the year, dropped to #3 becasue of his injuries.
Noel fell to 6th.

I guess best case is that we win the lottery and he looks great and is medically cleared. Both of those events happening seperately are improbable on their own. For both to happen.....well.....so if we have a chance to draft him, there wil most likely be substantial risk involved...as others have alluded to, GM make or break type of risk.

And if we do draft him, when will he be ready to contribute to our current core? I don't think right away, so that means two years of Horford's and IT's (contractual) window gone. As opposed to using the pick to get strong players to help right now.

Man, I'm confused.

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2016, 09:37:57 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

A healthy, cleared Giles would go #1 in this draft unless one of the Internationals somehow does something incredibly extraordinary.

So being able to pick him will depend both on where we pick and how uncertain his prognosis is.

Embiid, projected #1 for most of the year, dropped to #3 becasue of his injuries.
Noel fell to 6th.

I guess best case is that we win the lottery and he looks great and is medically cleared. Both of those events happening seperately are improbable on their own. For both to happen.....well.....so if we have a chance to draft him, there wil most likely be substantial risk involved...as others have alluded to, GM make or break type of risk.

And if we do draft him, when will he be ready to contribute to our current core? I don't think right away, so that means two years of Horford's and IT's (contractual) window gone. As opposed to using the pick to get strong players to help right now.

Man, I'm confused.
It is pretty straightforward.  If Ainge can use the pick to get a star, he should do it.  Otherwise he should use the pick to take the BPA regardless of position. 

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2016, 09:41:42 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nerlins is ok so far with his ACL

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 12:16:53 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Noel fell to 6th.

Man, I'm confused.

The Celtics can still contend while rehabbing/developing Giles off the bench. And this is why taking him can be an advantage for both parties. Giles will not be forced to play heavy minutes while learning Brad's system. By the time he's completely healthy, he will be ready to contribute because he already grasp what Stevens is scheming. He can be the heir apparent to Horford as the team's rim protector, similar to Duncan-Robinson.

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2016, 12:18:02 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If the medical staff feels comfortable with him, then you take him and don't think twice. Just look at Philly right now.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2016, 12:25:39 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
None of us can pretend that we understand Harry Giles' health situation, specifically relating to his last knee surgery. The doctors that are paid to fix him will give him a schedule to rehab and when he's healthy he can play. I'm not going to assume that he will continue to get hurt, just because he has gotten hurt in the past. Plenty of athletes recover from ACL injuries. As a pick to a cover a need for the Celtics, Harry Giles is #1 in my eyes over Fultz.

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 02:17:07 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
You went overboard with the fultz comment, Now way do you take Giles over him. He looks special and his knees are great , And I'm qualified to talk about Harry's knees, if he plays all year without problems and Danny says they're good then let's roll Harry.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 02:34:04 AM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I think if he's there at #3 or #4 with our Nets pick then he's going to be the guy. Danny is a gambler. Our medical staff will look at him and present Danny with the risk.

I think he's just too gifted to pass up- as long as he returns to his previous form before the newest injury- whilst playing at Duke if he plays like High school he's arguably going #1.

So yeah, he's our guy if he passes our medical test and Danny's judgement.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2016, 08:11:32 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I will add that it's an amazing feeling to think if we get a top 3 pick we are guaranteed one of:
-Giles
-Smith Jr
-Fultz
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2016, 10:37:05 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
You went overboard with the fultz comment, Now way do you take Giles over him. He looks special and his knees are great , And I'm qualified to talk about Harry's knees, if he plays all year without problems and Danny says they're good then let's roll Harry.

Were you referring to me? How is there no way that you take Giles over Fultz?

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016/order/true

If Giles is healthy, that isn't a wild statement, at all.

And please explain to me how you are qualified to talk about Harry's knees. Even if you were an orthopedic surgeon, I'm guessing you haven't looked inside Harry's knees. Injuries are not uniform- they vary. Some people bounce right back from ACL tears, and others take a while or never recover.

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2016, 09:00:32 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Coach K says Harry Giles likely to make debut on December 19th. They have 2 cupcakes next week before conference games start so he'll get some minutes. I wish this kid the best but one can't help but be concerned about his numerous knee surgeries, even though this last one wasn't all that serious.
Are there examples of potential star players that had knee issues (as in more than one) in HS and/or college yet turned out to be quality or better NBA players. I really like this kid and he'd be a great pick-up, but...........

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:43 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

I feel like Giles is a risk worth taking. If he does turn out to be a star, we have ourselves a monster down low who can grab 15 boards a night and protect the rim. If he doesn't, we bring back the croatian beast Mr. Zizic and he can help us down low, and we can look at the 2018 draft to find a gem. Plus if you look at Embiid and Noel they are turning out just fine.
[/quote]

For now. Embiid is on minutes restriction and Noel JUST came back from injury and injured himself again.

They are not Oden but they certainty are not 100% healthy. Let me know in 3 years how many games a year these guy average and if MPG goes near 30.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2016, 09:34:03 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Two knocks on Giles are injury concerns and his personality I also question how tough and smart he is.  I'd love to find the next KG or Russell but Giles is not reminiscent of them in that regard.  He seems to fit the whole LA persona moreso.  Could just be a nice kid who's game does the talking though. 

Isaac is healthy and seems to play with an edge although I more question his upside.  He reminds me more of a better Walter McCarty then Russell or KG.

Either way we really could use a pf because Amir is toast and not being utilized at all and KO really is just an occasional scorer at this point.

Otherwise we are looking at trading for one or moving Horford there.

I'm not big on this year's big man crop althoug there are a couple intriquing pf's with upside.

Mickey has also not stepped to the forefront.  We have Yabulele stashed and seems like the C's are ok with going with  PF by committee right now.

With our bench and the way the nba is now it makes sense but it also hasn't really turned into wins because we are playing 4 on 5 most nights and lack that extra guy. Whether it's because of a lack of a star outside of  Isaiah and Horford or it's our starting 5 when we go with smart.  It's the same result.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:39:22 AM by walker834 »