Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/16  (Read 58879 times)

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/16
« Reply #435 on: October 05, 2016, 07:16:57 AM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
It's weird seeing mixed reviews about the players from last night, because I read that freaking game recap and it looked like everyone who played had an absolutely transcendent game.

« Reply #436 on: October 05, 2016, 07:47:11 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Embiid stays healthy and that's a big IF, he is going to be a force to deal with for the next decade.

« Reply #437 on: October 05, 2016, 08:11:52 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
How did the Celtics lose...

I think CBS was more interested in playing the guys on the Fence , rookies to see how the bottom half of the Celtics team is shaking out.  The starters took care of business .

Zeller , RJ , Jackson ....just sucked too much to beat the D leaguers. 

Smart and Rozier played ok. Young and  Brown contributed .  Too much bad basketball from the guys Brad left in trying to make the team to insure a win.  They were close to a win dispite the two on five advantage Philly had .  End of the bench was to bad for Smart and Rozier to over come by themselfs.

Green and KO would have helped Rozier and Smart .

Zeller is a liability

Maybe we can trade Zeller for a second round pick and then keep both Young and Hunter.

« Reply #438 on: October 05, 2016, 08:15:42 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Embiid stays healthy and that's a big IF, he is going to be a force to deal with for the next decade.

The C's may need Zizic next year to help contain him (if he stays healthy).

« Reply #439 on: October 05, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

Yeah, they have some talent.

Problems are fit and health.

If they ever figure it out we could be looking at a great rivalry in a few years.

« Reply #440 on: October 05, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Saw Jaylen's highlights...looked good.

Very active in all facets of the game.

« Reply #441 on: October 05, 2016, 08:41:07 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

I think CBS was more interested in playing the guys on the Fence , rookies to see how the bottom half of the Celtics team is shaking out.  The starters took care of business .

Smart and Rozier played ok. Young and  Brown contributed .  Too much bad basketball from the guys Brad left in trying to make the team to insure a win.  They were close to a win dispite the two on five advantage Philly had .  End of the bench was to bad for Smart and Rozier to over come by themselfs.

Zeller is a liability

The one thing that TZ did that is needed on this team is rebound.

« Reply #442 on: October 05, 2016, 08:44:26 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
My two bolivars' worth...

- Apparently, Avery Bradley worked on his playmaking and team defense in the offseason. Looked much better in the pick and roll. That's great news if it sticks, because his ballhandling/playmaking/passing were the worst aspects of his game the last couple years. He should be more than just a 6'2" 3&D guy.

- Really like Isaiah's one-footed jumpshot in the lane. He used it a couple times tonight. The reason it's going to help is that he can get to the top of the key in the pick and roll, and at that point teams will need to decide whether or not to attack him up there, or sag off and cover the shooters on the perimeter. That shot is going to be there for him all day. If teams start to cheat off the shooters, then in a lineup like (for instance) Olynyk, Crowder, Horford, and Bradley, you're just inviting an open 3.

- Smart looks heavy and slow to me. Compared with his college tape especially. Now, I am an unabashed Smart fan and by all accounts he worked hard this offseason. If he can shoot better from distance this year after repairing his shooting form and play his typical level of defense, he'll be huge off the bench. But his lack of speed (which may be related to the fact he's built like a USPS mailbox) will hamper him.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #443 on: October 05, 2016, 08:52:37 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

- Apparently, Avery Bradley worked on his playmaking and team defense in the offseason. Looked much better in the pick and roll. That's great news if it sticks, because his ballhandling/playmaking/passing were the worst aspects of his game the last couple years. He should be more than just a 6'2" 3&D guy.

- Really like Isaiah's one-footed jumpshot in the lane. He used it a couple times tonight. The reason it's going to help is that he can get to the top of the key in the pick and roll, and at that point teams will need to decide whether or not to attack him up there, or sag off and cover the shooters on the perimeter. That shot is going to be there for him all day. If teams start to cheat off the shooters, then in a lineup like (for instance) Olynyk, Crowder, Horford, and Bradley, you're just inviting an open 3.

- Smart looks heavy and slow to me. Compared with his college tape especially. Now, I am an unabashed Smart fan and by all accounts he worked hard this offseason. If he can shoot better from distance this year after repairing his shooting form and play his typical level of defense, he'll be huge off the bench. But his lack of speed (which may be related to the fact he's built like a USPS mailbox) will hamper him.

Smart definitely got heavier this offseason, and if the rotation to start the game is any indication, it's because Brad's gonna have him play the 3 a lot more this year.  The size won't help him covering smaller/quicker guys, but with IT, AB, and Rozier all better suited to cover those guys, it shouldn't matter.  It should help him cover the 3s that he will be matched up against, though, so it should help more than it hurts
I'm bitter.

« Reply #444 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:17 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

I agree re: Smart, but he especially looks slow playing next to TRoz.

« Reply #445 on: October 05, 2016, 08:55:42 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Zeller is a liability

Maybe we can trade Zeller for a second round pick and then keep both Young and Hunter.

I think we'd have to wait for some injuries to bigs on other teams to get them willing to shell out for Zeller--but the C's could use him for deep depth themselves. Hunter is really superfluous at this point.

« Reply #446 on: October 05, 2016, 09:23:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Horford bringing the ball up after a defensive rebound...Bradley dishing out assists...Smart playing SF...these are all Brad Stevens innovations...this team is built for ultimate flexibility, a very modern approach to the game.

« Reply #447 on: October 05, 2016, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Zeller is a liability

I think we'd have to wait for some injuries to bigs on other teams to get them willing to shell out for Zeller--but the C's could use him for deep depth themselves. Hunter is really superfluous at this point.

yea it was mostly for the 2nd string and 3rd string to get some minutes, all the starters played < 20 minutes or so, only Smart and Rozier played near 30 minutes.

My take away is

Rozier can score and I think he is ready to contribute this year
Smart is a defensive menace as usual, I see him slashing more, but have yet to see his improved shot in a real game, I do like seeing him slash and trying to take some mid range shots
Brown still showing signs of potential, the last few plays were awesome, looks like he's not giving into pressure when down 5 points. The dunk and the athletic layup was a thing of beauty. I am sure he starts making more of those shots if he gets stronger

Hunter/Young/Zeller all sucked

Embiid is looking like the real deal in yesterday's game, though I really wished Brown dunked on him. The post move he had on Johnson was actually very natural