Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/16  (Read 58777 times)

Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/16
« on: October 02, 2016, 10:01:29 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  vs 
Boston Celtics (0-0) vs Philadelphia 76ers (0-0)
Tuesday, October 4, 2016
7:00 PM ET
Preseason Game #1
TV:  CSNNE, NBA LP
Mullins Center, Amherst, MA

Possible Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas 4
SG:  Avery Bradley 0
SF:  Jae Crowder 99
PF:  Amir Johnson 90
C:   Al Horford  42

Probable Reserves
Ben Bentil 50
Jaylen Brown 7
Marcus Georges-Hunt  45
RJ Hunter  28
Demetrius Jackson  9
Jonas Jerebko  8
Jalen Jones  52
Damion Lee 56
Jordan Mickey  55
Terry Rozier  12
Marcus Smart 36
James Young 13
Tyler Zeller 44

Injuries

Gerald Green  (hip flexor)  questionable 
Kelly Olynyk  (shoulder)  out

Head Coach:  Brad Stevens 

Possible Starters

PG:  Jerryd Bayless   0
SG:  Gerald Henderson   12
SF:  Robert Covington   33
PF:  Dario Saric  9
C:   Joel Embiid  21

Probable Reserves
Anthony "Cat" Barber  5
Elton Brand  4
Jerami Grant  39
Richaun Holmes  22
Shawn Long  36
Timothe Luawawu-Cabarrot  20
TJ McConnell  1
Nerlens Noel  4
Jahlil Okafor  8
Brandon Paul  43
Sergio Rodriguez   14
Nik Stauskas  11
Hollis Thompson  31
James Webb  23

Injuries

Jerryd Bayless (wrist) day to day
Ben Simmons  (foot)  out

Head Coach:  Brett Brown 

Game Notes: 
The Celtics begin the offseason with a game against their division rivals, the Philadelphia 76ers.  The years of lottery picks have given the Sixers some nice young talent on the roster.  After waiting 2 years, they finally have their talented center, Joel Embiid ready to make his debut.  Dario Saric is also ready to make his debut after playing in Europe for two seasons. 

This year's #1 pick, Ben Simmons, who looked promising in Summer League, will miss this game and possibly 6-8 weeks with a broken bone in his foot.   Former Celtic Jerryd Bayless is listed as day to day and missed Friday's scrimmage with a sore wrist, but is expected to start at point guard for this game.  For the Celtics, Gerald Green is questionable with a hip flexor and Kelly Olynyk is out as he rehabs from off season shoulder surgery. 

It's always a guessing game to predict the starting lineups for teams in the Preseason as coaches often like to play with their rotations and their lineups and get longer looks at different players and different combinations.  I've listed a possible starting lineup for each team,  but I may be way off. 

Things to Watch For
The Sixers are loaded with bigs and it will be interesting to see how they use them and if there will be any indication of one of them being showcased for a trade or possibly one of them falling out of favor.  Another thing to look for is Joel Embiid's debut in the NBA.  He is a very talented big and we have waited 2 years to see him play. 

It will be interesting to watch the chemistry between Rozier and Smart, who appear to be the Celtics backcourt on the second unit.  Reports are that they are playing very well together and are building good chemistry.  Also worth watching is the battle between RJ Hunter and James Young for a spot in the rotation. 

Players to Watch
Celtics

This will be the first time that the Celtics top draft pick will be playing against NBA competition and it will be good to see how he measures up. 

Jordan Mickey has had a lot of discussion about his potential and now is the time to see if that potential will turn into talent on the court. 

Sixers

The Sixers have waited two years for Joel Embiid's debut and they are hoping that the wait will be well worth it for the  talented big man. 

The Sixers have also had to wait for Dario Saric to come over from playing in Europe.  He is a very talented and versatile player and once again, the Sixers are hoping that he will be well worth the wait.

Keys to the Game
1.  Have Fun
2.  Stay Healthy
3. Develop Chemistry
4.  Win
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:41:01 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (0-0) vs Sixers (0-0) Preseason Game #1 10/4/16
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 10:12:30 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Basketball is back!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Hooray! What a great thing to see again - game threads!

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:15:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Saric will replace Simmons to start along with Embiid, Covington, Bayless, and Henderson.

The Philadelphia 76ers will face the Boston Celtics on October 4th to begin their preseason. One of the questions through out the off-season was who is going to start for the Sixers this year. Brett Brown released earlier today on the radio that Jerryd Bayless, Gerald Henderson, Robert Covington, Ben Simmons, and Joel Embiid will start.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Celtics are back.
Basketball is back.
Game threads are back.
And flc is back.

Flc, you are terrific, just like your game threads.

Celtics. Will absolutely stomp philly!!!!! Goooooooo Celtics, and tp for flc of course.  ;D

P.s. flc, pay no attention to the time stamps on these posts, nor the posts that just happen be above mine. My post is really truly the first reply, so a tp please.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Boston should completely curb-stomp them even if the starters sit.  Boston is one of the deepest teams in the league.  I saw clips of Embiid from a couple days ago and he looked completely terrible.  Doubt he's ready to do much of anything yet.  It will be interesting to see if he makes it through the game without his foot completely crumbling into dust.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:40:58 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Let's remember preseason wins have zero correlation with regular season success. I think Stevens will be doing a lot of experimentation and may give decent minutes to the guys fighting for the end of roster spots. Who wins the spots? 

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 10:45:21 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
TP to FLCeltsFan!

i cannot imagine the reaction i would have if we lost this game. its only preseason, yes, but i always overreact.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 11:56:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Let's remember preseason wins have zero correlation with regular season success. I think Stevens will be doing a lot of experimentation and may give decent minutes to the guys fighting for the end of roster spots. Who wins the spots?

I've never really agreed with this philosophy, especially when it's down to just one guy at the end of our bench. I'd rather Stevens work on developing chemistry with our guys, especially the new guys in Horford and Brown, and trying out differing lineups and units than giving end of the bench players time to fight out who will make the final roster.

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 12:05:14 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Celtics basketball!!!!!!!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2016, 01:17:10 AM »

Offline CelticsFan166

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 133
TP FLC! Celtics basketball is back!

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2016, 02:07:36 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Where's Noel?

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Boston should completely curb-stomp them even if the starters sit.  Boston is one of the deepest teams in the league.  I saw clips of Embiid from a couple days ago and he looked completely terrible.  Doubt he's ready to do much of anything yet.  It will be interesting to see if he makes it through the game without his foot completely crumbling into dust.

Luckily for Embiid, Kelly "Season Ender" Olynyk won't get a chance to ruin that foot this game
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 07:05:49 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I've never really agreed with this philosophy, especially when it's down to just one guy at the end of our bench. I'd rather Stevens work on developing chemistry with our guys, especially the new guys in Horford and Brown, and trying out differing lineups and units than giving end of the bench players time to fight out who will make the final roster.
The reality is that the roster is not finalized yet so some decisions are needed.  I expect Brad to play a lot of guys.

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 08:16:36 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11842
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to Rondo9 for being the first to post in the game thread!   TP to Eddie20 for the info on Philly's starters.  And a TP to hwangjini_1 just for being you and giving me a smile. :)