Author Topic: When Ainge said teams may regret not taking our offers...  (Read 7733 times)

When Ainge said teams may regret not taking our offers...
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It's almost time to revisit that.  Last Summer, we reported offered as many as 6 draft picks (4 reportedly 1st round picks) in an attempt to move up from #16 to #9 so we could select Justice Winslow.  I've even heard it reported that one of the 1st round picks we offered in the deal was the 2016 Brooklyn 1st (though some here understandably don't believe it).  Charlotte famously turned down our offer in order to take Frank Kaminsky (instead of Winslow, who most felt was the obvious target there). 

Following the draft Ainge made the following comments: 

“In hindsight, the next day, it’s probably a good thing. We were probably going to spend too much to do what we needed to do,” Ainge said. “This morning I wake up, and I’m refreshed that we got guys that we like but also that we didn’t overspend for some of the players that were in the draft — actually just basically one player we were chasing that we thought we had a realistic chance at.”

“They [the future picks] are worth a lot, [but] I think the draft is probably the time where they’re least valuable, simply because people get so caught up in players. Without mentioning names, there are some players that were drafted at certain spots [by teams] that turned down lots of draft picks that I just don’t think was smart on their part,” Ainge explained. “On draft day, typically those are hard deals to move. People get so caught up and get so in love with a specific player that that player in their minds becomes bigger than life.”

“I think they were just determined to take a guy that they liked. I think that they may regret end up not doing it in some of the cases,” Ainge said.

We can assume that a lot of the picks we offered in the deal were probably lesser assets like 2nd rounders (Jordan Mickey) or late 1sts (RJ Hunter).  Who knows what those assets will become.  They could even get cut.

But, with Rozier (#16 pick) coming on strong and seemingly transforming from what was seen as a reach at #16 to possibly a guy who will get significant minutes in the near future...

And with Jaylen Brown being our very promising selection with that Brooklyn pick...

It's possible teams are already regretting not having taken Ainge's overpay offers.  It remains to be seen what Winslow (or Kaminsky) will develop into, but if Rozier and Jaylen both pan out as expected, Ainge is right in that those teams will regret their decisions.

Here's hoping the Rise of Rozier is legit and Jaylen reaches his potential.

I'd love to see confirmation from Ainge on exactly what was offered in that infamous deal so we can accurately determine just how much Charlotte should regret it. 

Re: When Ainge said teams may regret not taking our offers...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
A subject that will be better answered a few years or more from now because

1.) Until Ainge or another GM comes out and says openly that such and such was a deal the C's offered, we the fans won't know for sure whether said deals were offered.

2.) Said players mentioned here, and I am sure in other supposed deals that were discussed, have years yet to develop to their fullest. Pretty difficult to discuss a trade where current rookies and 1st year players are involved when they have barely played any games. Jaylen Brown could be a star or he could suck. Same could be said about Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Embiid, Okafor, Winslow, Kaminsky or any rookie besides Brown drafted this year.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 06:48:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
A subject that will be better answered a few years or more from now because

1.) Until Ainge or another GM comes out and says openly that such and such was a deal the C's offered, we the fans won't know for sure whether said deals were offered.

2.) Said players mentioned here, and I am sure in other supposed deals that were discussed, have years yet to develop to their fullest. Pretty difficult to discuss a trade where current rookies and 1st year players are involved when they have barely played any games. Jaylen Brown could be a star or he could suck. Same could be said about Rozier, Hunter, Mickey, Embiid, Okafor, Winslow, Kaminsky or any rookie besides Brown drafted this year.
Minimally, we know that the #16 pick + additional assets were used in an attempt to move up to #9 to select Winslow.

So if Rozier ends up better than WInslow or Kaminsky, that alone, we can assume, proves we dodged a bullet.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 06:52:45 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Let's not parse words here. Michael Jordan and the Charlotte front office are idiots.

But even if we'd sent the all those picks they would have found a way to blow it, that's just how they roll.

It's proof that there are still plenty of rubes running franchises in this league. Thank god. Hopefully Ainge finds ways to exploit them, it's better than letting them exploit themselves.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Imagine a great player like Jordan making questionable GM decisions? Now he liked Kaminsky, maybe because he was older (23 or 24?). That's understandable. But to pass up 4 no.1s for him? Kaminsky right now looks like he's not worth 1 no.1.

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 10:44:45 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
As soon as Porzingis was off the board, I wasn't interested in moving multiple picks to move up for anyone left. I was hoping no deal like that would go through. Not because I thought #16 would end up better than anyone in the top 10, but like Ainge said, I thought those picks would have more (combined) value later than during the draft.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 10:53:53 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Yep--Danny lost his head momentarily, but fortunately it didn't end up hurting him.

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 11:02:59 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I am sure there are one or two franchises who regret doing business with  Mr. Ainge
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 03:18:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I am sure there are one or two franchises who regret doing business with  Mr. Ainge
Yeah for sure.  And as a result, teams are afraid to do business with him even if it's the smart move.

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 03:58:15 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Interesting topic.  I would not be surprised if there are teams that see Danny on the caller ID and then they pee a little. He consistently wins the trades.

Now if that is true, and the pool of trade partners has shrunk...then I think the "draft for need" philosophy will rear its ugly head.

We all agree that you shouldn't draft for need...but if you have fewer and fewer trade partners, how are you supposed to fill the needs?

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 04:58:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
I agree with you on this lb. If there really was a Brooklyn deal on the table (which still doesn't make sense to me knowing ainges history) then every team has to really kick themseld for turning it down.

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 10:27:23 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
It makes for a colorful narrative, but I doubt seriously any GM in the NBA is scared one bit about dealing with Danny.

You don't get to that career point - executive managing an an organization that grosses 100s of millions of dollars - without a pretty healthy ego.

Most people at that level almost always tend to feel that they are the smartest person in the room (or smart enough to hire the smartest person in the room).
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 10:29:05 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
It makes for a colorful narrative, but I doubt seriously any GM in the NBA is scared one bit about dealing with Danny.

You don't get to that career point - executive managing an an organization that grosses 100s of millions of dollars - without a pretty healthy ego.

Most people at that level almost always tend to feel that they are the smartest person in the room (or smart enough to hire the smartest person in the room).

exactly. a good GM always picks up the phone, even if its danny
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2016, 06:41:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
If Danny really did offer 4 1st round picks, including a Brooklyn pick, for Justice Winslow, he should be fired.  and no I don't really think he should be fired, but it should be a huge concern regarding Danny's judgment.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2016, 08:00:05 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
If Danny really did offer 4 1st round picks, including a Brooklyn pick, for Justice Winslow, he should be fired.  and no I don't really think he should be fired, but it should be a huge concern regarding Danny's judgment.

That rumor about that was started here at CelticsBlog after misunderstanding the quote.

"And I think people make irrational choices in those situations, not knowing that a 2019 unprotected first-round pick has great value. I think they will realize that. But again, the draft picks that we have, and the young players that we have, have terrific value around the league. Just not on draft day."

Some people thought that since Danny doesn't own anyone else's unprotected 2019 pick he somehow meant the 2018 Brooklyn pick. But beyond pure, unfounded speculation there's nothing to suggest Danny ever offered a Brooklyn pick for Winslow.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.