Author Topic: Smart's improved mechanics  (Read 4665 times)

Smart's improved mechanics
« on: October 01, 2016, 02:38:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
His mechanics have improved. He used to have a long wind up, which just to start really low. Now, he's shortened the starting motion considerably. Not only does that limit how many things could go wrong, but also provides a quicker release. Also, his momentum is not carrying him as much as it used to, which allows for better balance. His follow-through has always been good, so nothing new there. I'd like to see his feet face the basket after he lands and a better vantage point of where is shooting elbow is pointing since the footage isn't centered, but all in all a step in the right direction. Very optimistic is shooting will improve.

Video here
https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/782247192602021888

Re: Smart's improved mechanics
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 02:42:37 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
His mechanics have improved. He used to have a long wind up, which just to start really low. Now, he's shortened the starting motion considerably. Not only does that limit how many things could go wrong, but also provides a quicker release. Also, his momentum is not carrying him as much as it used to, which allows for better balance. His follow-through has always been good, so nothing new there. I'd like to see his feet face the basket after he lands and a better vantage point of where is shooting elbow is pointing since the footage isn't centered, but all in all a step in the right direction. Very optimistic is shooting will improve.

Video here

I think he'll generally improve this year, including his shot. But he's still very young and probably won't really get his shooting motion straightened up fully until after next summer.

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 03:26:31 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Video here

Wow. Very quick release now. Tp Eddie.

Only thing is we didn't get to see the result, was probably all airballs lol.

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Video here

theres a couple videos out there of those same shots and he goes for about a minute, maybe a bit less and he misses one shot. It was right on line.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Tasty.

TP for you sir.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Video here

theres a couple videos out there of those same shots and he goes for about a minute, maybe a bit less and he misses one shot. It was right on line.

yea i saw those too. he was shooting well
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 04:29:48 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
This is something I did NOT expect to see, coming into this season. Good job Marcus--cause with all the other things he does, making shots will make him unstoppable.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hopefully he's rebuilt his shot.  I've seen a lot of prospects fail to make that adjustment, though.  In the off-season, clips leak out of them having completely changing their mechanics, but then when the games hit, they slowly revert back to what's comfortable for them.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
https://twitter.com/ESPNForsberg/status/782247111370813440 here is a video from where we can see the rim

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I read an article one time that did an analysis of correlating stats. Interestingly enough, steals correlated to shooting percentage improvements. The guys theory was that steals might indicate good hand-eye coordination, which over a career can be trained and honed into improved shooting percentages.

If we are expecting Smart to shoot 45, 35, and 85 this year, our hopes are probably too high, but I do think his form, and in correlation his percentage, can improve throughout his career. Hopefully that will start this year.

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I read an article one time that did an analysis of correlating stats. Interestingly enough, steals correlated to shooting percentage improvements. The guys theory was that steals might indicate good hand-eye coordination, which over a career can be trained and honed into improved shooting percentages.

If we are expecting Smart to shoot 45, 35, and 85 this year, our hopes are probably too high, but I do think his form, and in correlation his percentage, can improve throughout his career. Hopefully that will start this year.
Even getting Smart's FG% above 40% would be a major major improvement.

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919

Video here

Not surprisingly, that's one of the things that he said he really focused on this summer, so it's not like it's a coincidence either. Improving his shooting is the first step in him reaching his potential as a multiple time All-Star. I suspect playing with the less ball-dominant Rozier will also help him by giving him more time with the ball in his hands, since he seems a much better shooter off the dribble than spot up.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 06:25:53 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
It looks much better. His shot used to be so slow and had a HUGE dip. Hopefully he's no longer the worst shooter in the league.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I sure hope you are right but I remember similar comments and videos on this site touting Tony Allen and Rajon Rondo to have fixed their mechanics and were going to become a better shooters. I believed those posts and videos. Excuse me if I have a wait and see type attitude this time around. ;) :) :D

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 07:19:03 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
what i like the most is that we didnt hear a lot of fanfare about him fixing his fundamentals over the summer, until like a week ago. i feel like, when you have all the expectations and everyone knows about it (like sully's weight loss stuff over last years summer), it never seems to fully come true. i like that marcus basically just went quiet over the summer, worked on his game, and now is showing us the results of his work. if you're gonna make a lot of fanfare and hype about what youre doing, it better be pretty [dang] good results.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about