Author Topic: So what's the deal with Bosh? Is he a potential mid-season pick-up?  (Read 2837 times)

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2665911-chris-bosh-wont-return-to-heat-latest-comments-and-reaction

So apparently the Heat aren't going to try and bring him back. How does that play out with his contract situation? Does he go on waivers, or is he stuck in Miami?

Basically, I'm wondering if there's any way that he could be a midseason pick-up for a team at a minimum salary or something after clearing waivers? I have to imagine that we'd be a good spot for him to potentially land, because we could offer him plenty of playing time for a contender.

Re: So what's the deal with Bosh? Is he a potential mid-season pick-up?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:44:26 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
If he isn't cleared and doesn't play for the heat by February, they can medically waive him to get cap relief. However, the doc that examines him is a doc that both the NBPA/Bosh approve of and that the Heat approve of. It'll be hard for them to agree on a doc. If it does happen, and bosh can be waived, the heat don't have Bosh's contract on their cap any longer. However, releasing bosh could be bad for Miami. If bosh joins another team, passes a physical, and plays 25 games for them, then Bosh's contract returns to Miami's books. Miami wants to avoid even the chance of that happening. So I wonder whether he will even get released at all. (I may have gotten some of this stuff wrong, so please correct me if I'm wrong)

Personally I would avoid him. He needs to accept that his career is over. He's in denial right now. I would HATE to see him (God forbid) collapse on our court (on any court, for that matter). It would be a nice little way to harm miami's cap I guess (if he played 25 games for a new team), but the risk isn't worth it tbh.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 12:28:28 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
He should be very appealing to someone looking for the next Reggie Lewis.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 02:42:30 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Giving Bosh that max deal was just Riley in denial about what losing LeBron meant for the Heat.  With Wade gone, even Riley can't pretend Miami is anything but Rebuild City.  I'm sure he'd love to clear Bosh's contract but I can't imagine this is about anything except the Heat's doctors unequivocally saying Bosh should never play again.  The downside to trying to force Bosh out would just be too great. 

Mike

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 02:57:20 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Not too interested in speculating if it could happen, but the team would be interesting if it did happen.

Assuming the borderline miracle that the clots never return, Bosh Horford would be the most defensively mobile front court in the league. Both players fit perfectly with what Stevens asks the power forward center to do. Celtics would have a matchup problem every night and a team designed to compete as best can be done with GS.

More likely... Bosh is going to look back on this period and wonder what could have been.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 03:50:04 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Much to his dismay, he better stay retired. I think he can find life beyond basketball. The league save Isaiah Austin before even getting drafted by finding illiness. Bosh is kinda lucky too he didn't end up like Reggie Lewis and Hank Gathers.

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 08:32:47 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Bosh does become available at vet minimum, I expect he'd end up in Cleveland.  If Cleveland or us did pick him up, there'd be no reason to play him during the regular season except for a few games to get him ready for the playoffs. 

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
No one is going to let him on TV in a contact sport .  It could be fatal with out his medicine in his system.  If I was golf or tennis.   Won't work in a heavy contact sport.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 04:55:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2665911-chris-bosh-wont-return-to-heat-latest-comments-and-reaction

So apparently the Heat aren't going to try and bring him back. How does that play out with his contract situation? Does he go on waivers, or is he stuck in Miami?

Basically, I'm wondering if there's any way that he could be a midseason pick-up for a team at a minimum salary or something after clearing waivers? I have to imagine that we'd be a good spot for him to potentially land, because we could offer him plenty of playing time for a contender.
It's a solid out of the box idea.  Who knows if Bosh will ever get healthy enough or if the Heat will have waived him, but come mid-season if Bosh suddenly gets the green light and is looking to finish out the season with someone, he could be a huge addition.   Boston would make a lot of sense as one of those teams in the mix to sign him.

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 04:58:29 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
https://youtu.be/t6pQyZkvmt4?t=108 I doubt the NBA would like this to happen again could create a real bad image

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 05:00:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
https://youtu.be/t6pQyZkvmt4?t=108 I doubt the NBA would like this to happen again could create a real bad image
Ugh.   I remember watching that.

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 05:01:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
He's like 32 with bajillions of dollars and two rings. Why is it so hard for him to walk away? Did he gamble it all or blow it all? He wants to risk his life to keep playing? Why?

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 05:04:37 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
He's like 32 with bajillions of dollars and two rings. Why is it so hard for him to walk away? Did he gamble it all or blow it all? He wants to risk his life to keep playing? Why?
love of the game

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
love of the game
Can't play it, watch it, or coach it if you're dead.

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
love of the game
Can't play it, watch it, or coach it if you're dead.
I haven't really paid too much attention to what his specific condition is, but you can't fault the guy for not giving up.  If his doctors give him a green light to play, it should mean he's healthy enough to play.  He's got plenty of time after age 40 to transition to whatever he's going to do with the rest of his (hopefully long) life.  I was really impressed with him when he was on the "Any Given Wednesday" show some weeks back.  He came across intelligent, thoughtful, and on-point.  He's definitely got a role as a media guy whenever he decides to take it.   But in the meantime, why not do everything he can to keep the NBA dream going.  He's got a small window of being able to play ball professionally before Father time rips that from him.  As long as he's not putting himself at risk of death, like you say, you can't blame him for continuing to pursue it.