Author Topic: Rookie of the Year race wide open now, who wins it?  (Read 2804 times)

Rookie of the Year race wide open now, who wins it?
« on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
With Ben Simmons going down with a broken foot, the favorite for ROY is suddenly gone before the race begins! This leaves the field pretty wide open imo. Who do you guys think gets it?

Brandon Ingram looks underwhelming to me so far, and who knows what the Lakers are going to do with their disorganized coach and GM

Kris Dunn is a great candidate, but he's still stuck behind Rubio.

Jaylen Brown I guess might have an outside shot, but I doubt it. He's behind Crowder on a playoff team with high aspirations for at least the ECF.

Bender and Chriss, well, these guys are both on the same team playing the same position.

Buddy Hield: Might have the best chance out of all of these guys with his experience coming into the league, and his shooting skills. He should get a chance this season to shine.

Jamal Murray, he's underwhelming imo.

Thon Maker, is he legit? Will he get enough playing time under Kidd? Too many question marks.

Joel Embiid, he could be a favorite, but there is still a logjam at his position with Okafor and Noel, and he also looks like a guy who hasn't played competitive basketball in a few years so far, as expected.

My favorite to win this....Dario Saric. His chance to shine has now opened up, on a team that desperately needs someone of his skills, and he's been playing against pros for a few years now, he comes in with the experience and the fire to prove himself before Simmons returns to take away his minutes. Don't be surprised if Saric grabs this award.

Who do you guys think is going to win this?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:55:23 PM by hpantazo »

Re: Rookie of the Year race wide open now, who wins it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:56:07 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I still go with Dunn. I think he's gonna make Minnesota trade Rubio some time this season.

Curious, what's so disorganized about Luke Walton and the lakers?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 09:56:42 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think it's a two-man race between Ingram and Dunn. I don't think Dunn ends up being as good of a prospect as most want to try and make him out to be, but I think he'll be good in his first year.

Brown could ultimately be the best player from this draft, and in a different situation, e.g. Philly, he would have a good shot at ROY. He just won't get the time for that kind of recognition in Boston, but it pays off to be developed in a great, winning environment like that. He couldn't have asked for a better place to be to hone his defensive skills especially.

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:23:02 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Dunn for me, and maybe Hield comes in a surprise 2nd place. They just have a great chance to succeed in their teams, I think.
- LilRip

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 07:22:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Simmons won't be out long enough to disclude him from the RoY race.

I still expect Simmons to win it.

I don't think Hield will do well his rookie year. I think it'll take him a year or two to find his feet in the league similar to what JJ Redick went through his rookie year. I don't think Ingram is ready to make an immediate impact. Nor Bender or Chriss.

Dunn has the best chance outside of Simmons to win it but Rubio is still there in Minnesota so I am not sure he'll have the minutes to contend with Simmons once Simmons gets healthy and starts stuffing the stat sheets.

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 07:59:24 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Hield is still my favourite but Dunn will have a clear path to it if he can manage. I just think KAT and Wiggins will take too much of the spotlight off him

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 08:16:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Dunn

It won't be close.

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 11:25:43 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Simmons still wins it, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Chris LaVert or Taurean Prince really surprises this year
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Ingram or Poeltl

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 11:50:01 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Saric is an interesting choice but I think Simmons would have to miss the season for Saric to be in the running.  If Embiid stays healthy, I think he'll win.  He'll be productive on offensive and defensive and should have a bunch of highlight plays which will enhance his ROY buzz.  If Embiid isn't healthy, I'll go with Ingram.  I think he'll still get a lot of minutes off the bench and will play SG quite a bit where his weight won't be much of an issue and his length will be a big advantage.   

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2016, 01:27:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
based on likelihood of getting minutes and the team make up of where they're playing, probably Dunn which will send CoachBo on a "I told you Danny couldn't draft and I'm brilliant" rant. 

I'm hoping for Brown though, kid has a chance to be special.

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2016, 02:38:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
ME

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
based on likelihood of getting minutes and the team make up of where they're playing, probably Dunn which will send CoachBo on a "I told you Danny couldn't draft and I'm brilliant" rant. 

I'm not sure he'll get those minutes, though. With This coaching, I expect Rubio and Lavine to be playing ~40 mpg, which would only leave 8 mpg at each guard spot, which isn't enough even if he gets all of them

If there's an injury he'll be getting tons of minutes and have a great chance, but I think someone who gets spoon-fed minutes from the start (like Ingram, or Simmons when he comes back) will have a better shot
I'm bitter.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 04:51:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Embiid obviously.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 05:06:20 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 04:54:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

I'm not sure he'll get those minutes, though. With This coaching, I expect Rubio and Lavine to be playing ~40 mpg, which would only leave 8 mpg at each guard spot, which isn't enough even if he gets all of them

If there's an injury he'll be getting tons of minutes and have a great chance, but I think someone who gets spoon-fed minutes from the start (like Ingram, or Simmons when he comes back) will have a better shot
if I had to guess the Timberwolves will give Rubio lots of minutes early on if they like Dunn to try and showcase him for a trade