Author Topic: 76ers Injury Curse Strikes Again- Simmons Fractures Foot  (Read 10012 times)

Re: 76ers Injury Curse Strikes Again- Simmons Fractures Foot
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 09:48:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Get well soon Ben - so sorry to hear that.

Boston has a tradition in place of owning the 76ers so I'd rather we do this with them healthy.

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 11:32:50 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
This is crappy for us because they can afford to sit back on the front-court players more now......I'm in the gang that wants us to acquire Okafor.

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2016, 12:16:58 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
The effing Sixers are going to devalue the Nets pick this early?

>:(

Not by their choice this time, ironically enough. I hope this doesn't encourage them to tank this year, it depresses me just thinking about them, prospects or not.

Tough luck for Simmons obviously. But Blake Griffin suffered a nasty injury his first year and came back very strong. Different injuries, but both agile, athletic guys.

He could be fine, but there's always a worry not just of recurring injuries, but of recurring pain and inflammation which weakens his overall game. Would be a shame is Simmons started getting worn down this early in his career.

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2016, 02:58:43 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Not by their choice this time, ironically enough. I hope this doesn't encourage them to tank this year, it depresses me just thinking about them, prospects or not.

The Sixers might shut things down after the all-star break, but there's no way they're going to tank the whole season.  They've still got Noel, Okafor, a semi-credible small forward in Covington and some legitimate NBA perimeter players in Bayless, Henderson and Rodriguez.  I'm not saying those guys are good but they're 2 or 3 levels above the scrub guards Philly had last year.  Their coach seems to know what he's doing so I can't see them being 10 win bad again.

Mike

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2016, 03:09:37 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

The Sixers might shut things down after the all-star break, but there's no way they're going to tank the whole season.  They've still got Noel, Okafor, a semi-credible small forward in Covington and some legitimate NBA perimeter players in Bayless, Henderson and Rodriguez.  I'm not saying those guys are good but they're 2 or 3 levels above the scrub guards Philly had last year.  Their coach seems to know what he's doing so I can't see them being 10 win bad again.

Mike
Yeah they'll be fine.  More minutes for Embiid and Saric.

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2016, 04:49:47 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
This is crappy for us because they can afford to sit back on the front-court players more now......I'm in the gang that wants us to acquire Okafor.
The Celtics have quite possibly the best defense and spacing in the entire league right now.  Bringing in Okafor would essentially destroy both.  You will quickly change your mind about Okafor once you see the Celtics offense at work with Horford/K.O., those lineups could very well be next to impossible to defend for a lot of teams.

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2016, 03:59:33 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

Mike

Yeah, they can't really afford to tank this year, especially at the beginning. Can't fire Hinkie and then just follow in his footsteps. That would be a bad PR move, the fanbase is already really jaded, and the Simmons injury is a real blow to them after all the hype over the summer.

The organization probably throws them a bone this year and tries to win, though it will be difficult with all the young players. But at this point I'm sure the fans will be happy with any real effort.

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
this is not great for Philly. They let Ish Smith go, and with guys like Okafor Embiid and Noel, a terrific passer like Simmons would have been really nice. Its also a bummer for them because it hurts their ability to evaluate how well Simmons  fits with each of their bigs. Something they may want to consider before potentially making a decision on which of them you want to move forward with at the deadline.

Also, hes a big dude with a foot issue. Nothing to lose your mind over, but foot injuries suck. Bad all around.

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2016, 04:53:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
this is not great for Philly. They let Ish Smith go, and with guys like Okafor Embiid and Noel, a terrific passer like Simmons would have been really nice. Its also a bummer for them because it hurts their ability to evaluate how well Simmons  fits with each of their bigs. Something they may want to consider before potentially making a decision on which of them you want to move forward with at the deadline.

Also, hes a big dude with a foot issue. Nothing to lose your mind over, but foot injuries suck. Bad all around.
It's not good for them.  Simmons projected as their primary ball handler and distributor.  "point forward" while guys like Bayless and Henderson spread the floor from the guard spots.   There had even been talk of Simmons playing the PG position. 

Nobody really expects Philly to threaten for the playoffs this year, though... so it probably doesn't really matter.  Their main focus this season is probably on getting guys minutes, seeing who works well together, and figuring out which one of their centers they want to move.  They can still do that regardless of whether or not Simmons is out.  And this might give them a chance to have a closer look at Saric who apparently has a lot of similarities in his game to Simmons (big guy who is a gifted passer). 

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The Celtics have quite possibly the best defense and spacing in the entire league right now.  Bringing in Okafor would essentially destroy both.  You will quickly change your mind about Okafor once you see the Celtics offense at work with Horford/K.O., those lineups could very well be next to impossible to defend for a lot of teams.
Well that's your opinion but Okafor IMO would make put us over the top. Obviously, I'm of the opinion that he has far more potential than most people dare to think and have scouted him out for over a few years. I also believe the exact opposite about defense and spacing.

I have not posted for a few months but you can use the search button and check out my scouting predictions and then form your own opinion.

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2016, 05:24:34 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Surprised (not surprised, actually), we've gotten 3 pages into this thread and I don't see one mention of "avulsion".

For those that actually want an update on the severity of the injury...

Mark Stein:  "Sixers and doctors involved believe rookie suffered an "acute injury" unrelated to weight and plan for surgery next week"

All the Philly forums are ablaze with with folks questioning whether his injury was an avulsion or jones fracture.  It's unclear as of right now.  If it's avulsion, recovery is like 6-8 weeks.   If it's Jones, it's more like 4-6 months. 

There's one report right now that he'll miss 3 months and be back in December or January.  But nobody has confirmed if it's avulsion or not.   

There's a best-case scenario here where he only misses a couple months of the regular season.

Worst-case scenario, it's jones and they adjust the timeline to fit the typical Philly cautionary "out the whole season" route.

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2016, 06:31:35 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No Noel now.

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2016, 06:38:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
When in doubt... tank!

"Hey, Sam... we were, uh, just kidding. Come home?"
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Bob Cooney from the Philadelphia News is on nbatv and said that a couple of his sources have said it's the worst of the possible injuries and its indeed a Jones fracture that will require surgery.

« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2016, 07:20:15 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
ugh, i cant believe they could very well be on their way to another top pick. Theyll probably take Giles haha
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about