Author Topic: 32 Mins For Thomas, 16 For Rozier  (Read 5025 times)

Re: 32 Mins For Thomas, 16 For Rozier
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:14 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
primary pg off the bench does that mean they still won't share duties?  I'd have to think Smart has to play some pg this year.Rozier can primarily play the backup point but he and smart are still pretty interchangeable.  Rozier can play off the ball and at sg.  Smart can go to the 3 and even the 4 in situations.  So if Terry is the primary he will be getting minutes at the 1 and 2 even still. Smart will getting minutes at 1-4. Bradley and Crowder are going to play 25-30 minutes a game too and Jaylen has to be worked in as well as Green and Jerebko.  It's not going to be easy. With KO at the 4 and 5 and Zeller being primarily a center.

Crowder will swing to pf as well.  But he and bradley are going to be getting in the high 20's.  Isaiah is going to get 30-40 minutes a game.  Same with Horford.

That's going to leave about 20 minutes at each position to get 5 guys close to that.  Terry may get 15-20.  Smart is going to get close to 30 but might get closer to 25 this year again.  KO will get his 20 easy t his year.  Jaylen is going to get 20.  Then there are about 20 minutes left for Green, Zeller and Jerebko to fight over from game to game and  maybe a Young, Jackson, Mickey or Hunter sighting in there. Am I forgetting anyone??

I expect Amir is going to get about 20 mpg this year as a starter.

Rozier is our primary pg off the bench if you look at our depth chart. But I think they will still share duties.   I think that's what Ainge means?

Pg-Isaiah, Rozier, Jackson
SG-Bradley, Smart, Green
SF-Crowder, Jaylen, Jerebko
PF-Amir, KO, Mickey
C-Horford, Zeller

Our guys are interchangeable though..  Young, Hunter, Bentil are battling for a spot. Nader, Yab and Zizic are already stashed.  You can only suit up 13 so  Mickey and Young or whoever probably won't even be active most games depending on injuries or matchups..

Rozier is isaiah's backup. He's similar in size and his role in the offense is similar as a pace setter and guy who will get in the lane and can shoot. Isaiah gets hurt though. Smart could start.  It all depends..

We've subtracted Turner and Sully and are adding Terry, Jaylen and Horford to the rotation. I expect everyone's minutes will stay the same.  TErry and Jaylen and Horford will just split Sully and Turners minutes with some adjustments.  Amir's role may diminish some due to Horford etc..  Terry and Jaylen can basically just split Turners minutes.  Jerebko and Zeller may have a lesser role this year to make room for Green where they may split minutes this year where we play matchups whether we need shooting, or whatever..

There should be good battles going on at least.  Green is going to be vying for time. I don't want to trade anyone.

JJ shouldn't and likely won't play any 3. And TZ IMO is going to be a third stringer. Amir more likely to be the 2nd unit center, with JJ at the 4, once KO is fully back. They'll probably find some situational minutes for Green even though he's not in the regular 2nd unit. But yeah, I think you've got most of them down.

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Media day, I think, IT4 said he's doing things to hopefully play more minutes this season (I'm not talking about the 40y.o. one either). Don't have the exact quote.

The second unit has apparently won the first three days of scrimmages. IT would be happy playing 40 minutes a game, I'm sure--but I don't think he'll get his wish. I see him actually losing a few from last year.

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2016, 09:09:05 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
primary pg off the bench does that mean they still won't share duties?  I'd have to think Smart has to play some pg this year.Rozier can primarily play the backup point but he and smart are still pretty interchangeable.  Rozier can play off the ball and at sg.  Smart can go to the 3 and even the 4 in situations.  So if Terry is the primary he will be getting minutes at the 1 and 2 even still. Smart will getting minutes at 1-4. Bradley and Crowder are going to play 25-30 minutes a game too and Jaylen has to be worked in as well as Green and Jerebko.  It's not going to be easy. With KO at the 4 and 5 and Zeller being primarily a center.

Crowder will swing to pf as well.  But he and bradley are going to be getting in the high 20's.  Isaiah is going to get 30-40 minutes a game.  Same with Horford.

That's going to leave about 20 minutes at each position to get 5 guys close to that.  Terry may get 15-20.  Smart is going to get close to 30 but might get closer to 25 this year again.  KO will get his 20 easy t his year.  Jaylen is going to get 20.  Then there are about 20 minutes left for Green, Zeller and Jerebko to fight over from game to game and  maybe a Young, Jackson, Mickey or Hunter sighting in there. Am I forgetting anyone??

I expect Amir is going to get about 20 mpg this year as a starter.

Rozier is our primary pg off the bench if you look at our depth chart. But I think they will still share duties.   I think that's what Ainge means?

Pg-Isaiah, Rozier, Jackson
SG-Bradley, Smart, Green
SF-Crowder, Jaylen, Jerebko
PF-Amir, KO, Mickey
C-Horford, Zeller

Our guys are interchangeable though..  Young, Hunter, Bentil are battling for a spot. Nader, Yab and Zizic are already stashed.  You can only suit up 13 so  Mickey and Young or whoever probably won't even be active most games depending on injuries or matchups..

Rozier is isaiah's backup. He's similar in size and his role in the offense is similar as a pace setter and guy who will get in the lane and can shoot. Isaiah gets hurt though. Smart could start.  It all depends..

We've subtracted Turner and Sully and are adding Terry, Jaylen and Horford to the rotation. I expect everyone's minutes will stay the same.  TErry and Jaylen and Horford will just split Sully and Turners minutes with some adjustments.  Amir's role may diminish some due to Horford etc..  Terry and Jaylen can basically just split Turners minutes.  Jerebko and Zeller may have a lesser role this year to make room for Green where they may split minutes this year where we play matchups whether we need shooting, or whatever..

There should be good battles going on at least.  Green is going to be vying for time. I don't want to trade anyone.

Stevens's style is to have the whole team share ball handling in a way. But primary means primary. TRoz is big, strong and fast enough to guard 2's effectively and he's going to be a good scorer. But PG is his position, whereas I really see Smart as a true combo guard (who can also guard bigger).

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't think Smart is going to play much 4 though.  I think Ainge is saying that he can play 1-4 where he can pick up minutes at other positions where Rozier will be the primary. Smart is still going to be primarily a guard though where both will still switch off though and can do that.  But Crowder and Jaylen can swing to the 4.  I'm not sure Jaylen will do much of that off the bat.

I more see it in simple terms that Horford will take Sully's miinutes with Amir possibly taking a hit to compensate.  Rozier and Jaylen will take Turners spot.  Everything else should stay about the same but Amir, Jerebko and Zeller are probably in line to take the biggest hit in minutes depending on what guys like Green and Jaylen do.  Isaiah gets hurt Smart could start at pg too.  It might be Rozier.

Both guys obviously see a bump there if Isaiah goes down with Jackson figuring in as depth if that happens.  We have plenty of guard depth and SF depth that is for sure.

Maybe the Celtics will employ the cobra 4 as a tactic but I kind of doubt it.  If Smart is creating defensive situations that's pretty cool. I don't see Smart's duties changing much except that I hope he just plays with more experience and more leadership this  year.  Shoot better etc.  If Isaiah gets hurt obviously that changes a lot.  Rozier is more in line to take on a bigger role this year than last year.  Smart too but it will just be smart playing with more experience and taking on a role in different ways.  Rozier is actually going to get time this year! He can really take it to the basket too and create pace with the second unit why he's more suited for Turners role.  As far as leadership and who to go to in a pinch Smart is still the guy on the second unit.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:23:53 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
I don't think Smart is going to play much 4 though.  I think Ainge is saying that he can play 1-4 where he can pick up minutes at other positions where Rozier will be the primary. Smart is still going to be primarily a guard though where both will still switch off though and can do that.  But Crowder and Jaylen can swing to the 4.  I'm not sure Jaylen will do much of that off the bat.

I more see it in simple terms that Horford will take Sully's miinutes with Amir possibly taking a hit to compensate.  Rozier and Jaylen will take Turners spot.  Everything else should stay about the same but Amir, Jerebko and Zeller are probably in line to take the biggest hit in minutes depending on what guys like Green and Jaylen do.  Isaiah gets hurt Smart could start at pg too.  It might be Rozier.

Both guys obviously see a bump there if Isaiah goes down with Jackson figuring in as depth if that happens.  We have plenty of guard depth and SF depth that is for sure.

Maybe the Celtics will employ the cobra 4 as a tactic but I kind of doubt it.  If Smart is creating defensive situations that's pretty cool. I don't see Smart's duties changing much except that I hope he just plays with more experience and more leadership this  year.  Shoot better etc.  If Isaiah gets hurt obviously that changes a lot.  Rozier is more in line to take on a bigger role this year than last year.  Smart too but it will just be smart playing with more experience and taking on a role in different ways.  Rozier is actually going to get time this year! He can really take it to the basket too and create pace with the second unit why he's more suited for Turners role.  As far as leadership and who to go to in a pinch Smart is still the guy on the second unit.

The only 4 Smart will be guarding is on switches and in emergency situations where a big has given everyone else fits and they decide to throw Smart on him in a desperation change of pace.

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Unless somebody gets traded, you figure Rozier will be 2nd team PG. He still should see 20+ minutes.

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2016, 04:24:15 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
Rozier looked good in summer league and I love his energy but I've gotta see that he can calm down and be an effective offensive player in a real game before I start pencililng him in for bigger minutes. I hope he makes that leap and forces his way into the lineup. The more good players, the better. But last year he was incredibly raw.

How about the 'real games' last year that he played in ?

He looked effective to me. This kid deserved more minutes last year. With Turner gone, he's up.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2016, 04:31:35 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Primary backup PG on a team with IT4 eating up 34-36 MPG and Smart, Bradley and on occassion Jackson sharing some duties there also isnt that big a deal. I would be surprised to see Rozier get more than 12 MPG this year unless he suddenly transforms into a star.

Still a lot to happen before the season.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2016, 04:59:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Primary backup PG on a team with IT4 eating up 34-36 MPG and Smart, Bradley and on occassion Jackson sharing some duties there also isnt that big a deal. I would be surprised to see Rozier get more than 12 MPG this year unless he suddenly transforms into a star.

Yeah, it seems inevitable injuries will be the main thing that will open up a role for Rozier's spot.

It'll be interesting to see how the lineups shake out.  Past two years, the lineups we start the season with are rather different than the lineups we finish the year with.  Brad likes to try a lot of different configurations until he gets the data that shows what his most effective lineups are.

I'd assume we're starting the season with Thomas/Bradley starting and Smart the first guy off the bench getting minutes handling the ball.   Everyone keeps saying this is SMart's season to finally get a chance to handle the ball more.   They said Evan Turner's absence will give Smart that opportunity.    Rozier might have to wait his turn.   But who knows.  If they are seriously considering going micro-ball with Smart getting minutes at SF, that might open up minutes for Rozier.   

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2016, 05:27:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Yeah, it seems inevitable injuries will be the main thing that will open up a role for Rozier's spot.

It'll be interesting to see how the lineups shake out.  Past two years, the lineups we start the season with are rather different than the lineups we finish the year with.  Brad likes to try a lot of different configurations until he gets the data that shows what his most effective lineups are.

I'd assume we're starting the season with Thomas/Bradley starting and Smart the first guy off the bench getting minutes handling the ball.   Everyone keeps saying this is SMart's season to finally get a chance to handle the ball more.   They said Evan Turner's absence will give Smart that opportunity.    Rozier might have to wait his turn.   But who knows.  If they are seriously considering going micro-ball with Smart getting minutes at SF, that might open up minutes for Rozier.
Ultimately, health and performance decides who plays. So, yeah, if players ahead of Rozier get hurt he will play more, but, assuming health, which I think we all do hope for, then its up to Rozier's, IT's, Bradley's, Jackson's, and Smart's performances to get Rozier more minutes. In other words, Rozier's performance would have to be so good and the other player's performances just bad enough as to make Rozier the obvious choice at backup PG and to get big minutes. And by big minutes for a second year bench player drafted in the middle of the first round I mean 16-20 MPG.

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Ultimately, health and performance decides who plays. So, yeah, if players ahead of Rozier get hurt he will play more, but, assuming health, which I think we all do hope for, then its up to Rozier's, IT's, Bradley's, Jackson's, and Smart's performances to get Rozier more minutes. In other words, Rozier's performance would have to be so good and the other player's performances just bad enough as to make Rozier the obvious choice at backup PG and to get big minutes. And by big minutes for a second year bench player drafted in the middle of the first round I mean 16-20 MPG.

I think TRoz starts the season with close to 20 (to IT's 28).

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2016, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I think TRoz starts the season with close to 20 (to IT's 28).
Without injury or trade, I believe 20MPG numbers are unachievable for Rozier next year.

IT is an All-Star in his mid 20's. You play All-Stars in their 20's over 30 MPG minimum and most likely more than 32 MPG. Bradley was voted best defensive guard in the league last year according to votes for DPOY. That combined with his shooting and now as a position on a semi-contender make him a borderline All-Star in his mid 20's. Again, 30-32 MPG minimum. Smart as a developing player in his early 20's and already having atrocious offensive play but supreme defensive play that yielded him over 20 MPG last year means he probably gets minimum those numbers. Now add in garbage time for players like Hunter and Jackson, some foul trouble time for Green and Brown to play the 2 and suddenly you are looking at a role that doesn't come close to Rozier getting 20 MPG, especially not right off the get go.

Rozier at 10-14 MPG for the whole year is about right, unless there is a major injury or a trade

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 06:21:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Rozier looked good in summer league and I love his energy but I've gotta see that he can calm down and be an effective offensive player in a real game before I start pencililng him in for bigger minutes. I hope he makes that leap and forces his way into the lineup. The more good players, the better. But last year he was incredibly raw.

How about the 'real games' last year that he played in ?

He looked effective to me. This kid deserved more minutes last year. With Turner gone, he's up.
In real games last year, he shot 27% from the floor and 22% from 3.

His percentages in the playoffs were much better but he still averaged less than 5 points in 20 minutes a night and his assist numbers were nothing to write home about. He's got great potential but I have to see him put it together effectively.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008