Author Topic: 32 Mins For Thomas, 16 For Rozier  (Read 5021 times)

32 Mins For Thomas, 16 For Rozier
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:25:40 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Just an idea on how to get Rozier some more run. Rozier has more Upside at the Pg anyway. Smart can play four positions defensively according to Ainge.

So give 20 mins to Smart at shooting guard, 10 mins at SF, and Smart plays third PG mina as well. Boom problem solved.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:45:50 PM by KG Living Legend »

Re: 32 Mins For Thomas, 16 For Rozier
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 09:09:41 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Smart has to be given the ball this year though. Time is on Rozier's side, we need to know how versatile Smart can be this year. They're both able to play off ball so I expect them to share the ball handling duties but I'd expect Smart to be the primary ball handler when IT is off the court

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:03:58 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Rozier looked good in summer league and I love his energy but I've gotta see that he can calm down and be an effective offensive player in a real game before I start pencililng him in for bigger minutes. I hope he makes that leap and forces his way into the lineup. The more good players, the better. But last year he was incredibly raw.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:12:52 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
Smart has to be given the ball this year though. Time is on Rozier's side, we need to know how versatile Smart can be this year. They're both able to play off ball so I expect them to share the ball handling duties but I'd expect Smart to be the primary ball handler when IT is off the court

Yeah, same here. TP. Though Rozier is better on the ball than off the ball, I think he's a better off the ball option than Smart. He looks like he can move without the ball and find a lot of backdoor cuts, along with being a better shooter off the pass than Smart.

I think they'll share the ball-handling duties pretty equally.

Rozier looked good in summer league and I love his energy but I've gotta see that he can calm down and be an effective offensive player in a real game before I start pencililng him in for bigger minutes. I hope he makes that leap and forces his way into the lineup. The more good players, the better. But last year he was incredibly raw.

True. I think people are jumping the gun a bit with Rozier, while on the other hand being a little harder on Smart, who has actually played the big minutes.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Just an idea on how to get Rozier some more run. Rozier has more Upside at the PF anyway. Smart can play four positions defensively according to Ainge.

So give 20 mins to Smart at shooting guard, 10 mins at SF, and Smart plays third PG mina as well. Boom problem solved.

talk about small ball...lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 03:22:20 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Just an idea on how to get Rozier some more run. Rozier has more Upside at the PF anyway. Smart can play four positions defensively according to Ainge.

You're on the right track, but I think they also played IT more minutes than they wanted to last year. He was sometimes gassed by the end of the game. 30/18 sounds about right.

And he's a PG. No playing him off the ball when teamed with the non-PG Smart.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Are we sure Terry is ready to go from basically non-rotation guy to 16-18 minutes a game?  That's a fairly substantial role, and the Celts expect to be a team gunning for home court advantage and the conference finals.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 05:46:07 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If it gets to a point where we're relegating Smart to playing out of position off the bench at SG permanently, I wouldn't be too thrilled.  If it looks like Rozier is going to leapfrog him in the PG depth chart, I'd want us to spend a few months showcasing Smart for a trade.  So if that means we have to hold off on the Rozier secret weapon for another year, I'd be ok with that. 

That said, I had the same opinion of the Sully/Olynyk situation.  I didn't believe Sully was dramatically better than Olynyk - I felt like we were just feeding Sully more minutes with hopes of getting some kind of value out of him.  That didn't really work out.

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
If it gets to a point where we're relegating Smart to playing out of position off the bench at SG permanently, I wouldn't be too thrilled.  If it looks like Rozier is going to leapfrog him in the PG depth chart, I'd want us to spend a few months showcasing Smart for a trade.  So if that means we have to hold off on the Rozier secret weapon for another year, I'd be ok with that.
He's not any more out of position as a SG that can't shoot than he is as a PG who can't manage the game adequately.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 06:30:49 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Media day, I think, IT4 said he's doing things to hopefully play more minutes this season (I'm not talking about the 40y.o. one either). Don't have the exact quote.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2016, 06:41:20 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He's not any more out of position as a SG that can't shoot than he is as a PG who can't manage the game adequately.
True. 

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2016, 09:01:33 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Rozier isn't a pg at this point any more than smart.  I'd say their potential at that position is about the same.

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2016, 10:04:08 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Are we sure Terry is ready to go from basically non-rotation guy to 16-18 minutes a game?  That's a fairly substantial role, and the Celts expect to be a team gunning for home court advantage and the conference finals.

Danny said tonight that TRoz will eat up a lot of ET's minutes.

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2016, 06:58:19 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
Rozier isn't a pg at this point any more than smart.  I'd say their potential at that position is about the same.

Max Lederman
‏@Max_Lederman
Marcus Smart drains a 3 as Danny Ainge says Terry Rozier will be the primary PG on 2nd unit #CelticsTalk

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2016, 07:08:17 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
 primary pg off the bench does that mean they still won't share duties?  I'd have to think Smart has to play some pg this year.Rozier can primarily play the backup point but he and smart are still pretty interchangeable.  Rozier can play off the ball and at sg.  Smart can go to the 3 and even the 4 in situations.  So if Terry is the primary he will be getting minutes at the 1 and 2 even still. Smart will getting minutes at 1-4. Bradley and Crowder are going to play 25-30 minutes a game too and Jaylen has to be worked in as well as Green and Jerebko.  It's not going to be easy. With KO at the 4 and 5 and Zeller being primarily a center.

Crowder will swing to pf as well.  But he and bradley are going to be getting in the high 20's.  Isaiah is going to get 30-40 minutes a game.  Same with Horford.

That's going to leave about 20 minutes at each position to get 5 guys close to that.  Terry may get 15-20.  Smart is going to get close to 30 but might get closer to 25 this year again.  KO will get his 20 easy t his year.  Jaylen is going to get 20.  Then there are about 20 minutes left for Green, Zeller and Jerebko to fight over from game to game and  maybe a Young, Jackson, Mickey or Hunter sighting in there. Am I forgetting anyone??

I expect Amir is going to get about 20 mpg this year as a starter.

Rozier is our primary pg off the bench if you look at our depth chart. But I think they will still share duties.   I think that's what Ainge means?

Pg-Isaiah, Rozier, Jackson
SG-Bradley, Smart, Green
SF-Crowder, Jaylen, Jerebko
PF-Amir, KO, Mickey
C-Horford, Zeller

Our guys are interchangeable though..  Young, Hunter, Bentil are battling for a spot. Nader, Yab and Zizic are already stashed.  You can only suit up 13 so  Mickey and Young or whoever probably won't even be active most games depending on injuries or matchups..

Rozier is isaiah's backup. He's similar in size and his role in the offense is similar as a pace setter and guy who will get in the lane and can shoot. Isaiah gets hurt though. Smart could start.  It all depends..

We've subtracted Turner and Sully and are adding Terry, Jaylen and Horford to the rotation. I expect everyone's minutes will stay the same.  TErry and Jaylen and Horford will just split Sully and Turners minutes with some adjustments.  Amir's role may diminish some due to Horford etc..  Terry and Jaylen can basically just split Turners minutes.  Jerebko and Zeller may have a lesser role this year to make room for Green where they may split minutes this year where we play matchups whether we need shooting, or whatever..

There should be good battles going on at least.  Green is going to be vying for time. I don't want to trade anyone.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:37:39 AM by walker834 »