Author Topic: Jae on Jaylen: "He needs to get a motor...not play lazy and laid back."  (Read 14958 times)

Re: Jae on Jaylen: "He needs to get a motor...not play lazy and laid back."
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2016, 10:41:52 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This is the kind of thing LB or KG would say in public...about a rookie they really had high hopes for.

Like LB33 says above, it seems to strike some people the wrong way coming from Crowder rather than a Hall of Famer, but Crowder's done this kind of thing before, and in a way, he has just as good a perspective on how good this kid can be as anyone else in the league. You don't need to be a Hall of Famer to read talent.

I'll take this as neutral-to-good news for the time being.

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2016, 12:48:55 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
This is the kind of thing LB or KG would say in public...about a rookie they really had high hopes for.

Like LB33 says above, it seems to strike some people the wrong way coming from Crowder rather than a Hall of Famer, but Crowder's done this kind of thing before, and in a way, he has just as good a perspective on how good this kid can be as anyone else in the league. You don't need to be a Hall of Famer to read talent.

I agree. A team leader is unlikely to say this about a rookie who is genuinely struggling. It's unusual for a vet to kick a young guy when he's down. This sounds more like a challenge to a guy Crowder thinks has big potential.

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2016, 09:18:54 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I agree. A team leader is unlikely to say this about a rookie who is genuinely struggling. It's unusual for a vet to kick a young guy when he's down. This sounds more like a challenge to a guy Crowder thinks has big potential.

Yep. Brown says the vets have been giving him a lot of trash talk in scrimmages, too. He says he's given a little, but definitely less, back.

Just like Danny busting on TRoz with the media day tweet. These two guys are getting high praise from the attention.

« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2016, 09:20:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

Crowder has a bit of Gerald Wallace in him--in a good way. Remember, he's the one who spoke out against the team's hang-dog, losing mentality a few days after he was traded here.

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2016, 10:00:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Crowder sounds like he is worried about losing his spot. Who says stuff like this to a 1st year rookie and after 1 practice?

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Crowder needed to sit until his ankle healed last year.
He didn't, and he sucked in the playoffs.

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2016, 10:38:52 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Jae Crowder is a top player in the league in the category of "playing with high motor."  He is an expert on the subject.

I don't really think the comment was meant as a put down, but rather as advice and encouragement.

If Jae Crowder's motor rubs off on Jaylen at all, Brown's got a very bright future.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #82 on: October 01, 2016, 10:55:44 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
You can't expect too much from a 19yo kid with one year college. The expectations are too great. Hunter wanted this, and now the NBA has to live with it. Stern was against it, and I understand there are some restrictions now. Many of these kids wind up in the D-league, which is what it was formed for. Good thing.

I would like to see the age limit moved up to 21, so that most of the draftees are college grads. More mature and better coached. I'm sure some of the college coaches would like that, too.

Teams are being forced to draft these 19yos out of the major schools because of their super talent potential. But most aren't ready for real time NBA. Ainge likes to draft a bit older, but he made an exception with Brown due to his talent and athleticism. We'll see what happens. The kid may need a few years. Havlicek needed 2 or 3 to crack the starting lineup as a scorer.

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2016, 11:08:19 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Crowder sounds like he is worried about losing his spot. Who says stuff like this to a 1st year rookie and after 1 practice?

Agreed,  Ainge spent a long time discussing how great Brown has been in camp so far.

« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Yeah I disagree.  Crowder surprisingly took the role of vocal leader as soon as he arrived here.   It was actually a little strange at first that this bench warmer was the one saying the team needed to play harder, etc.   Like, who is Crowder to say these things?

But he's since backed it up by being one of the strongest two-way players on the team.  Leadership seems to be one of his main qualities.   And I think he's played well enough over the last couple years to warrant him taking that mentor/leadership stance for the young guys.

I said previously that it would hold a lot more weight if Crowder was a future Hall of Famer like KG, but actually... One of KG's greatest mentors was Sam Mitchell.  KG credits Mitchell with helping him a lot with his transition and teaching him how to be a pro.  It's not like Mitchell is a future hall of famer.  So maybe it's totally fine that Crowder is taking that role for Jaylen. 

Given that they will be going head to head in practice daily and Crowder will conceivably be a major help towards increasing Jaylen's ceiling, I think it's actually a fantastic thing that he's clearly paying attention to Jaylen and offering him pointers... as opposed to cutting him off and saying, "this is my turf - back off youngin".   

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2016, 02:34:02 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I like it.  Jae being vocal.  I believe what he is saying is more motivational purpose than knocking Jaylen.  Jae has cred because he has earned it and is one of the hardest workers on the entire team.  Take notes Jaylen, and learn!!

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2016, 12:29:24 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I can't believe no one has brought up the fact that Abby Chin asked Crowder what he thought about Brown before the Green/White scrimmage and crowder said the exact opposite of this quote about brown. to paraphrase he said stuff like "he never quits".

soo... which is the truth about brown and why is crowder lying?

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2016, 12:37:54 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Crowder has a bit of Gerald Wallace in him--in a good way. Remember, he's the one who spoke out against the team's hang-dog, losing mentality a few days after he was traded here.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. And Wallace was nowhere near the player Crowder is.

Jae Crowder does. It's all explained throughout the thread. Not complicated to understand. Crowder is vocal about other players, not just ones who threaten his spot.

Heck, he went after Durant this summer for not signing with us - and many of Durant's minutes would have come from Crowder. He clearly cares about winning as well as (and maybe more than) minutes.

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427