Author Topic: Jae on Jaylen: "He needs to get a motor...not play lazy and laid back."  (Read 14907 times)

Re: Jae on Jaylen: "He needs to get a motor...not play lazy and laid back."
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 10:47:58 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Would be funny if Young out hustled Brown ....
and put JB behind him in the rotation.

Just as a side note ........smart , AB , Jonas , Rozier , IT and Jae all have high motors ......it is very easy to look lazy standing in this crowd of over achievers .

Anybody standing with their thumb up the wazoo around  this crowd is going to stick out.

NBA is not a lazy mans sport.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 10:56:29 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »

Online Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Would be funny if Young out hustled Brown ....
and put JB behind him in the rotation.

Just as a side note ........smart , AB , Jonas , Rozier , IT and Jae all have high motors ......it is very easy to look lazy standing in this crowd of over achievers .

Anybody standing with their thumb up the wazoo around  this crowd is going to stick out.

NBA is not a lazy mans sport.
This is one of the reasons I love Smart so much. He seems like he's got that infectious energy about him (not unlike KG). It's difficult to not give 100% when you see Marcus giving up his body on every play.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 11:15:47 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
This is an idiotic thread of someone selectively quoting someone else to try to stir up controversy.

It's quite obvious listening to the whole thing that Jae is saying Brown was playing passively and he believes the kid is best playing aggressively. This isn't surprising given that he's a 19 year old kid coming on to a team of veterans in the prime of their careers who also are welcoming the biggest FA acquisition in team history. Jae also goes on to say that Brown can help the team immediately as someone who can guard multiple positions and as they "keep installing" an aggressive attitude he'll be able to help the team even more. This all ties in to my assertion during draft night that Brown was coming into an ideal situation and guys like Crowder would make him much better because they're going to push him.

There was also a video of Brown a couple of days ago staying like 2 or 3 hours after practice to work on his shooting. His work ethic has been repeatedly praised by Danny and Brad and the kid was so eager for his first practice that he showed up 2 hours early. So no, there's no question about his work ethic. This is simply a kid trying to find his role in the first week of practice on a team that has exceptionally high expectations and a lot of talent in the prime of their careers.

Great points by Granath.

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
I'm confused? I see people panicking on here, than I watched the clip and took it as a positive. He compliments the kid and just give him some advice. I think any rookie would have similar issues, he has a lot to learn and sometimes you spend time thinking instead of running around, seems normal to me.

1 - I took it as a positive as well.

2 - Any rookie...makes sense.

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 01:11:57 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
people making a big deal out of a normal advice from Jae. The "laziness" is interpreted totally wrong and blown out of proportions by some people. If he is lazy he wouldn't show up to practice hours early on his first practice!

« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I think he just needs time to get used to the next level.

remember in summer league, the first few games he was kinda tentative and not really doing a whole lot. once he got used to it, he was a beast (though his percentages were bad).

once he gets used to actual NBA players playing against him (which will no doubt take longer than a few games, it could be a few months or even this whole season), hes gonna be a beast again.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 03:13:29 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I definitely think this was a motivational move by Jae, but it does ring true. For instance against Hawaii Jaylen seemed completely out of it. Didn't show me anything and I didn't watch a lot of CAL but heard a lot about him from the season and watched that game and he ended up 1-6 4 points and fouled out. I was worried about him then. On the other hand I do think this is the best spot for him. Brad can get the most out of his players and motivate them and this team has guys like Jae Marcus IT and Al who wont settle for anything. Jaylen will come along but i do agree with what Crowder had to say.   

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The guy is 19 either way, Crowder had to grow into who he is now too. If you think Jae gave his all in games when he was that young, I have a can of oxygen to sell you. AB just said PP told him to go out and give it his all when he got his chance when he was 19-20 at the time, PP wouldn't have to tell him that if it was already a given. This is what the vets are for, that's why I love the character of these vets, we have so many young guys on the team we needed vets who can give great advice and still play at a high level. Teach them and the vets/team benefits! GREAT GROUP!
That AB example is pretty flimsy. Completely different scenario. Pierce is telling a guy not getting large minutes to stay ready. Not a critique at all. The Jae thing could be a critique.

Pierce's words of encouragement are much different than Crowder's wakeup call.

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2016, 03:21:44 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I feel like I know what Jae's talking about.

Jaylen tends to stand around a bit when he's not actively in the play. He has to learn to play hard all the time. Cutting, boxing out, crashing boards, setting picks, etc. He seems to want to be great so I'm not too worried, yet.

Only time will tell, but I still think him being better than Jeff Green is a given.
A big part is likely the learning process. Running without knowing where to run doesn't help anyone.

Still, guys either put in effort on cuts and movement or they don't.

Being better than Green is still very much up in the air.

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 244
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
guys i m so excited to have jaylen backing up someone like crowder. Crowder is one of those guys that doesn't have the physical tools a guy like jaylen is blessed with.  So he knows how to play with a high motor been extra active, hustling, cutting, no just standing in the corner waiting for the ball to come to you. Perfect situation for our team.

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 04:00:08 PM »

Offline mainevent

• Bill Walton
Some of the comments on this page...Bwhahahahaha I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.  Some of you really need to get a grip LMBO.  Un-be-lievable!
"Mosquitoes refuse to bite me....purely out of respect"

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I have no idea what to make of these comments, except to note that all the talk about Jaylen's personality, intelligence, will to be great, etc. are meaningless.  Ultimately I don't care about words or those other things.  If Jaylen wants to be great he'll need to put in the work and play hard.  That's all that matters.

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2016, 04:12:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Word on Jaylen has been that he's kind of a cerebral / aloof / odd-ball type.  I wonder if that often reads to other players -- especially hyper-competitive dirt dog types like Jae -- as a guy not having enough of a "motor" or being too "laid back."

We shall see.  The proof on the court will be how much he works to get to the line, grab rebounds, hustle for loose, balls, and fight through screens.  Those are the areas where Jeff Green, physical gifts and skill aside, was often lacking.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2016, 04:56:04 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Celtics have had an eye on him for years, Danny has said this team has to have guys that are tough physically and mentally, fighters! If that's what they are looking for why on earth would they take someone lazy? Makes no sense, he has already been praised for a strong work ethic. Crowder is just being himself and pushing the kid along.

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2016, 05:01:53 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
This was a KG lite move. Garnett makes people cry. That's not this. Jae wants wins and is saying Jaylen will be a part of it. He is asking Brown to pick up the intensity which will help the team even more.

The guy who started this post turned it into yellow journalism.