Author Topic: Jae on Jaylen: "He needs to get a motor...not play lazy and laid back."  (Read 14923 times)

Re: Jae on Jaylen: "He needs to get a motor...not play lazy and laid back."
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2016, 06:39:17 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Jaylen has a huge opportunity to max out his development potential in this environment.  Jae is a solid guy to be playing against daily in practice.  Jae is a quality pro who could still make improvements as well.

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2016, 07:27:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It will either help him grow stronger or crush his confidence that is what playing against better players does for a player.    With James Young I think it did the latter,  Brown seems to have a better head on his shoulders and in summer league, he showed a warrior spirit that I think he may do the former.

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 07:58:37 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Jae was talking about Jaylen's performance in the summer league not on his actual practice. His tone wasn't like he's attacking Jaylen. He's just giving his 2 cents on a question Mike asked, and that he could keep growing his body like Jae.

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 08:00:22 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Love Jae...but it's not really that big a deal.

Jaylen will be fine.

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 08:22:33 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
This is an idiotic thread of someone selectively quoting someone else to try to stir up controversy.

It's quite obvious listening to the whole thing that Jae is saying Brown was playing passively and he believes the kid is best playing aggressively. This isn't surprising given that he's a 19 year old kid coming on to a team of veterans in the prime of their careers who also are welcoming the biggest FA acquisition in team history. Jae also goes on to say that Brown can help the team immediately as someone who can guard multiple positions and as they "keep installing" an aggressive attitude he'll be able to help the team even more. This all ties in to my assertion during draft night that Brown was coming into an ideal situation and guys like Crowder would make him much better because they're going to push him.

There was also a video of Brown a couple of days ago staying like 2 or 3 hours after practice to work on his shooting. His work ethic has been repeatedly praised by Danny and Brad and the kid was so eager for his first practice that he showed up 2 hours early. So no, there's no question about his work ethic. This is simply a kid trying to find his role in the first week of practice on a team that has exceptionally high expectations and a lot of talent in the prime of their careers.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2016, 09:15:39 AM »

Offline jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
This is an idiotic thread of someone selectively quoting someone else to try to stir up controversy.

It's quite obvious listening to the whole thing that Jae is saying Brown was playing passively and he believes the kid is best playing aggressively. This isn't surprising given that he's a 19 year old kid coming on to a team of veterans in the prime of their careers who also are welcoming the biggest FA acquisition in team history. Jae also goes on to say that Brown can help the team immediately as someone who can guard multiple positions and as they "keep installing" an aggressive attitude he'll be able to help the team even more. This all ties in to my assertion during draft night that Brown was coming into an ideal situation and guys like Crowder would make him much better because they're going to push him.

There was also a video of Brown a couple of days ago staying like 2 or 3 hours after practice to work on his shooting. His work ethic has been repeatedly praised by Danny and Brad and the kid was so eager for his first practice that he showed up 2 hours early. So no, there's no question about his work ethic. This is simply a kid trying to find his role in the first week of practice on a team that has exceptionally high expectations and a lot of talent in the prime of their careers.

Isn't it our jobs as fans to overreact :)

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2016, 09:23:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

TP, great post, but I also agree with jpd985 that we are just doing our jobs as fans.   ;)

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2016, 09:24:29 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I'm confused? I see people panicking on here, than I watched the clip and took it as a positive. He compliments the kid and just give him some advice. I think any rookie would have similar issues, he has a lot to learn and sometimes you spend time thinking instead of running around, seems normal to me. 

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2016, 09:31:19 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Also, I don't think he means lazy in the sense of laziness, but more passiveness. JB has never had the "lazy" tag and that doesn't usually show up for the first time in training camp. Passiveness does quite often, though. I think he'll seem less "lazy" as he gets more confidence and becomes more assertive on the court.

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Anyone who watched all the summer league games (I did) knows that the one thing you could not accuse Brown of was "lacking a motor." He played quite aggressively.  My guess is that Crowder is directing his comments mostly to how he is playing in camp with the vets.  Would not be surprised if Brown is being deferential to some vets out of respect.  Crowder is saying that you can't be like that in the NBA if you want to excel.  Kind of the Kelly Olynyk syndrome.

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 09:44:38 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'm confused? I see people panicking on here, than I watched the clip and took it as a positive. He compliments the kid and just give him some advice. I think any rookie would have similar issues, he has a lot to learn and sometimes you spend time thinking instead of running around, seems normal to me.
and Jaylen is known as a thinker, and a very smart kid who values learning.  I think he is just a 19-year-old who is suddenly playing with all-stars and other NBA vets, so perhaps he is spending time watching everything, being "starry-eyed".  He will get past this stage.

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 09:45:33 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
What are we talking about here, practice? We're talking about practice. Not a game, not a game! But practice! (sorry, couldn't help myself)

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Wow people are over reacting. I read the comments before watching the video, and from the comments it sounded like Crowder was angry at him.

The one issue, and I think is what Crowder is refereeing to is Brown will defer to the other players, let them do things, instead of getting into a position every time down to be the guy who makes the play. When he's that guy he's really good, when he's not, hes like Jeff Green. Kid can't be affraid of stepping on peoples toes, he has all the tools to be a really good player. The guys that have been hear aren't going to give it to him, he has to go and take it.

I think thats more of what Crowder was talking about. Rookies have to learn to bring it every time up and down the court, no breaks like in college, thats when the other team will make their run.

Nothing to see here folks. Just an older dog teaching the new pup how to be a pitbull.

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2016, 10:12:24 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
It will either help him grow stronger or crush his confidence that is what playing against better players does for a player.    With James Young I think it did the latter,  Brown seems to have a better head on his shoulders and in summer league, he showed a warrior spirit that I think he may do the former.
Agreed. This sounds, to me, like a vet trying to challenge the new kid. Whether it's a good idea or not to do it through the media... I guess we'll see how Jaylen responds this season.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2016, 10:38:28 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Wow people are over reacting. I read the comments before watching the video, and from the comments it sounded like Crowder was angry at him.

The one issue, and I think is what Crowder is refereeing to is Brown will defer to the other players, let them do things, instead of getting into a position every time down to be the guy who makes the play. When he's that guy he's really good, when he's not, hes like Jeff Green. Kid can't be affraid of stepping on peoples toes, he has all the tools to be a really good player. The guys that have been hear aren't going to give it to him, he has to go and take it.

I think thats more of what Crowder was talking about. Rookies have to learn to bring it every time up and down the court, no breaks like in college, thats when the other team will make their run.

Nothing to see here folks. Just an older dog teaching the new pup how to be a pitbull.

Definitely trying to force the Green moments out of Brown's game.

In the NBA, players, coaches, and GMs don't usually bother getting on guys unless they think they can do it at a level that matters to the team.

IMO this is becoming something of a player coached/policed team which is important both generally and because Stevens and most of his staff are still really learning the NBA, without having played in it.

E.g., Crowder also made the point of not wanting to try to make Brown learn the 4 position at the same time that he's learning the 3. Stevens didn't seem to have the same view of it, and Crowder's speaking out on it is probably pretty helpful to Brown.