Author Topic: Cavs to give over 1000 employees championship rings  (Read 2028 times)

Cavs to give over 1000 employees championship rings
« on: September 29, 2016, 03:38:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/09/cavs_owner_dan_gilbert_giving.html#incart_river_index

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio -- From LeBron James down to the guy who sold you a hot dog on a Wednesday night at The Q, the entire Cavaliers' family is getting a 2016 NBA championship ring.
Majority owner Dan Gilbert and his partners decided to present rings to more than 1,000 full and part-time employees throughout the Cavaliers and Quicken Loans Arena organization, employees who've been fitted for rings told cleveland.com.

A spokesman for the Cavs confirmed the information but declined to comment.
Of course, not every team employee will get the same, diamond crusted ring that's going to rest on the fingers of James, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love and other players from last season, but ticket takers, seat ushers, security guards, Cleveland police officers and all who work behind the scenes at home games will be able to say they won a ring. And they'll have proof.

The same goes for rings commemorating the Lake Erie Monsters' AHL Calder Cup victory from last season. Virtually all employees involved with Monsters' operations, including some who work for the Columbus Blue Jackets (the Monsters' NHL affiliate) will get rings.

Employees learned about the rings earlier this month at something called the "Spectaculars," a company-wide (Cavs, Monsters, Quicken Loans Arena) yearly meeting and employee-recognition event. The gesture extends to workers for Aramark, the contractor that supplies food-service workers for Cavs and Monsters home games.

A conservative cost for distributing rings to employees is more than $1 million.

The Cavs declined to say whether or not former coach David Blatt -- who was fired in January -- or former center Anderson Varejao (traded in February) were getting rings. But Gilbert is obviously in a mood to be inclusive.

Varejao, who played for the Warriors against the Cavs in the Finals, told reporters out West the Cavs had offered him a ring. Anderson, who played for Cleveland from 2004-16,  said he was unsure if he would accept.

The Akron Beacon Journal reported that Blatt would get a ring, but both Gilbert (through a spokesman) and Cavs general manager David Griffin would not confirm the report.
Blatt is coaching pro basketball in Turkey.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Cavs to give over 1000 employees championship rings
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
thats nice of them. lot of work goes into managing and maintaining a franchise. the guy running the hot dog stand must be so stoked lol
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
Yeah, that's nice. I would be excited if I was that hotdog guy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Not sure I totally agree as it takes away from the value and exclusivity of having one, but it is obviously a nice thing to do.

While they are at it, they should probably give rings to all of the season ticket holders, too. They seem more deserving than a large portion of the people actually receiving them.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 11:56:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not sure I totally agree as it takes away from the value and exclusivity of having one, but it is obviously a nice thing to do.

While they are at it, they should probably give rings to all of the season ticket holders, too. They seem more deserving than a large portion of the people actually receiving them.
Sorry but that's BS.  They are giving rings out to people who WORKED and contributed in that way, not people who can afford to shell out $$ for season tickets.

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 12:29:52 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Although it`s a very nice gesture i think i agree with this.

At least it should be a different ring

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2016, 12:57:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Well, it's is a different ring than what the players get. The article makes it clear it's not the diamond encrusted expensive rings the players get.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Well, it's is a different ring than what the players get. The article makes it clear it's not the diamond encrusted expensive rings the players get.
Yep.  And here is the thing, this always happens, not quite to this level, but non-players/coaches often get championship rings.  Again not to the point where the vendors get them, but staff often do.  The players/coaches will get really nice rings, say 25k, while the majority of these rings will probably be in the 500-1k range.  Nothing that will break the bank for the team, but still a very nice gesture for an ownership group to do. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Sorry but that's BS.  They are giving rings out to people who WORKED and contributed in that way, not people who can afford to shell out $$ for season tickets.

Sorry, but I just don't see how a part time 'hot dog vendor' or sales clerk contributed anywhere near as much as a season ticket holder. There are many people deserving of a ring within an organization, but the lower level workers (however important to our overall economy) don't really seem relevant to the success of a pro team, especially when many of them work for a different vendor entirely, not the Cavs.

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2016, 02:26:01 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Sorry, but I just don't see how a part time 'hot dog vendor' or sales clerk contributed anywhere near as much as a season ticket holder. There are many people deserving of a ring within an organization, but the lower level workers (however important to our overall economy) don't really seem relevant to the success of a pro team, especially when many of them work for a different vendor entirely, not the Cavs.
Disagree.  Season ticket holders contribute nothing.