Author Topic: Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier  (Read 8832 times)

Re: Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 12:45:03 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i think there is plenty of space to keep them both. IT/Smart/Rozier/Bradley/Hunter are guys that need to fill a 96 min rotation at PG and SG plus like 10 when you play small ball with smart at 3, my guess would be like:
IT 32 mpg (32 last year)
Bradley 30 mpg (33 last year)
Smart 27 (27 last year)
Rozier 12 ( 8 last year)
Hunter and Young fight for what's left

it will be interesting to see what Stevens does, but if you look at it, our 1-2 guys stayed the same compared to last year, and you have 27 Turners minutes to throw around.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 01:11:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I still want to believe smart will make a leap.

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2016, 02:18:20 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
i love marcus.

but, terry really opened my eyes in summer league. he has something that marcus doesnt have, that you pretty much have to have in order to be a successful nba point guard, and thats speed on the court. hes like a blur, he uses his speed and athleticism to get to the basket in the blink of an eye. maybe its because marcus hasnt handled the ball a ton, with Turner here, but i havent ever really seen him have that burst in him. in college he got by on pure brute strength. and so far, it hasnt worked out much in the nba (again, depending on how much you feel he was affected by Turner).

i still take marcus, but its very close now. preseason alone might change my mind.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
Rozier to me looks to be the better player. He has speed and can be deceptive with his dribbling, also he is explosive, definitely more vert than Maahcus Smaaht, control of his body in the air as well. Maahcus rarely gets a clean finish around the rim, Its mostly goes like this: rush in, toss a prayer, and hope for the best. Defense and hustle is great, and every great teams needs that... Rozier can be a dog as well, not to the extent of the Cobra. But really, wasn't Tony Allen a dog? Yes, right? Would you have played him over Ray Allen, though?... Exactly. We need the best of both worlds and Marcus needs to play like it's Game 4 every game.

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 03:04:40 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
At this point there is no discussion to be had.  Smart is the far superior player in virtually every way.  What has Rozier shown himself to be able to do at an NBA level?  He has shown some potential but the team basically self destructed every time he stepped on the floor last year.  I have high hopes for Rozier but he has a long way to go before he becomes a valuable rotation piece.  Smart flips games on there head defensively and in a better role offensively, surrounded by better talent, will be an excellent player going forward.

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 03:09:43 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
At this point there is no discussion to be had.  Smart is the far superior player in virtually every way.  What has Rozier shown himself to be able to do at an NBA level?  He has shown some potential but the team basically self destructed every time he stepped on the floor last year.  I have high hopes for Rozier but he has a long way to go before he becomes a valuable rotation piece.  Smart flips games on there head defensively and in a better role offensively, surrounded by better talent, will be an excellent player going forward.

There is a discussion to be had. Use your eyes. Does Rozier not have more upside? I mean he's already better on offense. What does Smart do better on offense? Passing probably, but other than that Rozier is better than him at every aspect.

Also, Rozier is a very good defender. Look, I get that you want to use last year, but you can't use last year. This is a new year. Players improve. People like to project before the season starts. If we just wait and see what happens and then make a judgement, there is no point to having a forum.

Anyways, time will tell who is right or wrong, but I really do think Smart should watch his back this year because Rozier is going to steal minutes from him if Smart can't shoot. Dude can't even start on this team. He's losing to Bradley and honestly at the end of last year, people were clammering around saying Rozier should take Smart's minutes. At least on talk show radio.

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 03:11:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Marcus Smart is an elite defender. Terry Rozier looks promising as a two way player and maybe legit point guard. It's a good problem to have, but the answer is Smart for the foreseeable.

Honestly, there seems like there has been a LOT of Rozier press lately. Says trade bait.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I think Ainge will look closely at Rozier in training camp. This is the year where the kid has to step up.

Smart is a key defensive player, but his offensive skills are limited, and chances are they won't get much better.

There is a lot of talk about a Noel deal. Noel is a local guy who wants to be dealt to Boston.
Chances are he would sign here.  Smart for Noel would make sense for the Celtics. Noel gives them needed defense up front to pair with Horford. Backcourt defense would still be good with Bradley and perhaps Rozier, who would add some offense.

If Rozier excels in training camp, Philly might also be persuaded to deal Noel for Rozier and maybe another piece. That's probably what Ainge prefers. I have also heard Noel for Olynyk, which I would do in a minute, but Philly has too many forwards to be interested.

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 03:22:41 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Adding fuel:

Jay King ‏@ByJayKing  31m31 minutes ago
Stevens: Rozier is "a different guy" than he was at this time last year.

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 03:33:13 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
I think Ainge will look closely at Rozier in training camp. This is the year where the kid has to step up.

Smart is a key defensive player, but his offensive skills are limited, and chances are they won't get much better.

There is a lot of talk about a Noel deal. Noel is a local guy who wants to be dealt to Boston.
Chances are he would sign here.  Smart for Noel would make sense for the Celtics. Noel gives them needed defense up front to pair with Horford. Backcourt defense would still be good with Bradley and perhaps Rozier, who would add some offense.

If Rozier excels in training camp, Philly might also be persuaded to deal Noel for Rozier and maybe another piece. That's probably what Ainge prefers. I have also heard Noel for Olynyk, which I would do in a minute, but Philly has too many forwards to be interested.
In this era of the NBA you do not even consider trading Olynyk for Noel.  It is almost comical how underrated his value is and Phil. should snap take that trade straight up if it was offered to them, which it won't be. 

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2016, 03:48:03 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton

There is a discussion to be had. Use your eyes. Does Rozier not have more upside? I mean he's already better on offense. What does Smart do better on offense? Passing probably, but other than that Rozier is better than him at every aspect.

Also, Rozier is a very good defender. Look, I get that you want to use last year, but you can't use last year. This is a new year. Players improve. People like to project before the season starts. If we just wait and see what happens and then make a judgement, there is no point to having a forum.

Anyways, time will tell who is right or wrong, but I really do think Smart should watch his back this year because Rozier is going to steal minutes from him if Smart can't shoot. Dude can't even start on this team. He's losing to Bradley and honestly at the end of last year, people were clammering around saying Rozier should take Smart's minutes. At least on talk show radio.
You do realize that Smart and Rozier are exactly the same age right?  Rozier displayed a very poor ability to distribute, shot poorly and killed the offense last year every time he stepped on the floor.  Do not confuse a few summer league games against inferior competition with reality.  His defense isn't even in the conversation with Smarts at this point and he is also far less versatile.  Bradley should be moved either to the bench or traded mainly because he and I.T. are a weak defensive pairing, they are just to small to be a starting backcourt combo on a contender.

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
The choices don't fit. Currently they seem to play different positions. I have thought about this, but unless there is a big surprise out of Marcus Smart for point guard work, Terry Rozier has won the backup role.

Smart has been working on his shooting. I think he will end up better than a Paul Pierce for makeshift pg, but he doesn't seem ready to handle it. Rozier has shown himself to be ahead of Smart for pg. The problem is Smart is the much better player. Eventually Danny will have to decide between Rozier, Jackson or Isaiah and between Marcus Smart/Bradley, perhaps between Jaylen and Jae.

Those are decisions to be made far down the road. They will depend on how the young players develop.

Olynyk and Sullinger became a choice. They couldn't play together and protect the rim.

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2016, 05:06:55 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

You do realize that Smart and Rozier are exactly the same age right?  Rozier displayed a very poor ability to distribute, shot poorly and killed the offense last year every time he stepped on the floor.  Do not confuse a few summer league games against inferior competition with reality.  His defense isn't even in the conversation with Smarts at this point and he is also far less versatile.  Bradley should be moved either to the bench or traded mainly because he and I.T. are a weak defensive pairing, they are just to small to be a starting backcourt combo on a contender.

i mean, most of his playing time was garbage time, wasnt it? unless youre talking about the playoffs. even then, brad gave the backup point guard role to rozier. he was the one handling the ball in the playoffs. not marcus. marcus was playing off the ball. what does it say to you that brad trusts a rookie guard who spent a lot of time in the d-league to handle the ball in the playoffs over his second year player who was the playoff starter the season before?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

I have no idea who will be the better player, clearly Smart had a better rookie year than Rozier did but there was much less minutes to be given out last year compared to the year before. Smart is not better any every way, Rozier has already shown he is a better shooter and rebounder.

Like to add that last year I was listening to Danny speak about training camp. He said that veterans were pulling him aside raving about Rozier!

If I had to put money on it, I'd put it on Rozier making a big leap this year. More interesting to me is how many people think Smart has a chance to be great. I think this is just more of wishing versus reality. Of course he could become great but there is no evidence to support that at this time.

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2016, 06:06:30 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The thing is both Rozier and Smart can play the one and the two.

I have hope for Hunter, but for now let's count Hunter and Young as garbage.

That leave's Thomas, Rozier, Smart that can play the point, and Bradley, Smart and  Rozier that can play the two.

In today's NBA that is not too many bodies IMO.