Author Topic: Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier  (Read 8847 times)

Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier
« on: September 29, 2016, 09:46:51 AM »

Offline Mattybriand

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Let me start off by saying this is coming off of watching Terry Rozier summer workout videos..

So my question is, Does anyone else feel like one of these guys are inevitably going to get traded? (I'm looking at you Nerlens Noel)

And I'm torn on who I want it to be...

Marcus Smart is one of the NBA's best defenders
His intensity is amazing but looks to have limited offensive potential

Terry Rozier looks to have the offensive potential and there is plenty of defensive potential there too, how ever he doesn't have that dog inside of him like Marcus Smart.

Let's face it these are better choices then our current presidential candidates.

Re: Marcus Smart or Terry Rozier
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:05:19 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I am not completely sold on Rozier.
I see why the excitement is about, but  i want to see it in a real game.

Smart is one of my favorites.

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Workout videos are not a good judge of potential.

Workout videos that have no defenders result in drafting Yi Jianlian
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:11:39 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Smart is one of my favourites, shooting warts and all. I also see Rozier as having more value around the league toward the end of the year as teams are always looking for bouncy young guards who can go get theirs. Which may make you think "why would we get rid of him then?" Well, because we need to consolidate some assets and we are fortunate to have many in the backcourt. Therefore I see the ones with the highest league value being traded. Guys like Rozier and KO, maybe Brown and Crowder if the trade is a big one.

Rozier and KO for Okafor is one I'd like to see at the deadline. I think that both Noel and Okafor could be out of Philly at the trade deadline. Say that deal goes down and then Noel for Crabbe or something like that, suddenly Philly looks in better shape

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Smart ....will show you what injury free he brings. 

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:24:57 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think they can and will play a lot of minutes together. That way they can share the burden of running the offense.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:53:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If it's offense vs defense I'd rather have defense in the 1rst unit and offense in the 2nd.

I don't think either guy has beaten out the other

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 11:15:05 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Totally right that someone is getting traded.  It's not like IT is going anywhere unless it's for a major star and you can't really afford to have a third string point guard who is too good, both financially and for playing time.  We've got to see Rozier more on the court and Smart more actually playing PG, but we also have RJ, Brown and Young looking for minutes.

I'm not sure how we can play to win and try and pump up guys trade value at the same time.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 11:22:30 AM »

Offline Mattybriand

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Workout videos are not a good judge of potential.

Workout videos that have no defenders result in drafting Yi Jianlian

Agreed BUT summer league was pretty nice too :player

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:06 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think it is inevitable at all.  Possible, sure, but inevitable no way.  Rozier has been given almost no time, it might be because he isn't very good and never will be.  Or he could be a break out star.  Only time will tell.  Smart may be nothing more than a defensive role player playing 20 minutes a night.  Or maybe he takes an offensive leap and becomes a real star.  Again only time will tell.  Maybe Boston decides it doesn't want to pay Thomas or Bradley and one of them gets moved.  Or maybe it takes Thomas or Bradley to be a piece in a trade for a major star.  Maybe someone gets hurt and is never the same.  There are so many question marks that no one can say with certainty that someone needs to get traded.  Now sure, if the offer is right, they will get traded, but that applies to every single player on the team.  Ainge will trade anyone at any time if he thinks it makes the team better.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 11:31:20 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I'm a Smart fan. I'm really against trading him. Rozier is growing on me too. I kinda like them both out there together at the same time?

I guess if I had to trade one I'd trade Rozier, but I don't think I'd trade either of those guys for Noel now. Horford signing means we can wait for Noel to go RFA and we can get him then. I can't see Philli paying through the teeth to keep the front court log jam.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 12:11:26 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's something I have been asking myself for weeks and have decided to let preseason play out before I make a decision. But I do think they can play together and look forward to it.

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 12:26:29 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I like Smarts size, we have too many undersized guards. I like that Marcus can defend 1 thru 3, and some 4's.

For me it has to do with which can be a starting point guard. If neither can be successful at the point, then both their value suffers IMO. But especially Rozier at 6-1.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
TP to OP, good question. It's tempting to take little risk on terry but Marcus could become great..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:39:53 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
Right now I would say Smart has more trade value.  Rozier may pass Smart but I highly doubt it will be this season.  I like both.  Both still have plenty to show but both are valuable young players.