Author Topic: Dwyane Wade Calls Rajon Rondo Best Point Guard He's Ever Played With  (Read 5117 times)

Re: Dwyane Wade Calls Rajon Rondo Best Point Guard He's Ever Played With
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:14:32 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I agree with that but I wonder how he will feel after Rondo pounds the air out of the ball for 20 seconds and than passes it to him to force up a bad shot?

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I agree with that but I wonder how he will feel after Rondo pounds the air out of the ball for 20 seconds and than passes it to him to force up a bad shot?

It probably won't bother him at all for the 30 games he sits out at least.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 09:40:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I'm not sure that is true.  Jason Williams was a pretty dynamic player for awhile.  Might very well have been a better fit next to Wade than Rondo will be next year (given Williams was a respectable enough 3 point shooter).  Williams was the starting PG on Wade's 1st title team and for a number of other years (that title team also had a very old Gary Payton backing Williams up).  Now obviously the James/Wade/Bosh teams didn't have very good PG's, but Dragic isn't exactly a slouch and again with his shooting is probably a better fit with Wade. 

It has also yet to be seen how good the Rondo that will play with Wade this year will actually be.  He isn't exactly a young guy any more, though is coming off a career high for 3PT shooting so perhaps is finally becoming a more well rounded player. 

Rondo probably is the best PG Wade has played with, but I wouldn't just write Williams and Dragic off given Rondo is 30 and has never been a good shooter.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 10:04:57 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
Rondo shot 36.5% on 2.4 attempts per game from 3 point land last year.  I'm curious if it's a break through of sorts later in his career sort of like Jason Kidd but on a lesser scale, or just a fluke year.  Wade himself he is being asked to take more 3 point shots than in years past.  That will certainly help him prolong his career if he can hit them at an adequate rate.

If both are hitting 3's it will certainly help space the floor. 

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 10:12:23 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2016, 10:18:15 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Was coming to make some snarky comment about Mario Chalmers, but your pic does it for me. TP
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
That's a little bit like someone who's eaten at KFC all his life saying "That sirloin at Applebee's was the tastiest steak I've ever had!"

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2016, 10:43:03 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That's a little bit like someone who's eaten at KFC all his life saying "That sirloin at Applebee's was the tastiest steak I've ever had!"

LOL TP

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 11:34:22 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
From what i read in the Bulls blog, the Bulls are working hard on making Rondo signing look good.

"It’s not surprising the Bulls made it a point to single out Rondo as making a “big” impact early given the negativity that came with the signing"

full article:
http://www.blogabull.com/2016/9/28/13096408/everybody-loves-rajon-rondo-bulls

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 11:46:50 AM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
yeah he might be forgetting gary payton was on that team. even though he was old by then, this comment would still be an insult to the glove.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:49:14 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Bulls home opener is against the Celtics.  Should be a very interesting game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 11:51:23 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
In an apples to apples comparison I'd probably take Dragic over Rondo for most teams but I definitely think the national media is sleeping on Rondo's potential fit with  the Bulls.

I get that when your somebody like Nate Duncan(who's been saying he would have rather they signed someone like Garrett Temple) and you have to stick to the numbers Rondo seems like a lost cause but IMO Rondo has 3 things going for him...

1. Rondo plays up to his roster. Rondo came into the league spoiled by  learning the NBA game by playing off e future hall of famers. Though he was terrible in an impossible rigid Dallas situation where the PG needs to shoot and the ball needs to move constantly he had a bit of a bounce back playing off Boogie in Sac. Now he's back with a former top 5 in the world player and the most improved player of the last 5 years. The Bulls roster is strong enough to keep Rondo engaged.

2. He's an Eastern Conference guy returning from the West. Even at it worst over the years I'm not the type that buys into the narrative that the East is terrible but the West is great. Stylistically the two conferences play very different games. East teams play more old school possession and ISO games with more of an emphasis put on defense. The free flowing, up and down, leak out for fast breaks instead of hanging back on D game is great for a guy like Curry or John Wall(I think he'd explode if he was on a West team like the Suns) but Rondo is more cerebral and does better when he can pick apart sets based on tendencies he's seeing.

3. The Chicago Fan base respects Rondo. Chicago's an interesting fan base. They have seen the best player of all time and have had otherwise limited success aside from it. They know greatness and many of them probably were never all in on the Rose hype train, especially when Rose was being matched game for game by Rondo in the 2009 playoffs. Rondo was special in those series and along with Joakim Noah was evolving as a player right before everyone's eyes.

IMO Rondo returns to form as a borderline elite PG this year in Chicago.

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
So Rondo isn't a good point guard now?

He has is flaws but the guy was pretty good at setting guys up for easy baskets last I checked.

Some of you guys are ridiculous.

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 12:29:14 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
So Rondo isn't a good point guard now?

He has is flaws but the guy was pretty good at setting guys up for easy baskets last I checked.

Some of you guys are ridiculous.

He is top 3 in the nba 10 years ago, but now his game is other era. I wouldn't put it past him to modernize and become brilliant again though, he's so clever. That year in sac was clearly just about rebuilding his value. The 'ball pounding' feature was just a quirk of his own professional circumstances. I think he'll be fine. Bigger problem is wade and butler
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.