Author Topic: What would a Boogie/Horford offense look like?  (Read 2493 times)

What would a Boogie/Horford offense look like?
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:45:15 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Assuming Danny is still interested in Boogie and something happens at the deadline, how would this look.

Duncan/Robinson, Z-Bo/Gasol are nice templates. Here is a good breakdown of all the secondary options from Horns offense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt3C_NB5n70

Would this work with Boogie and Horford? Usually the horns need to be good passers, and be able to put the ball on the deck if they are weakside and isolated (which both Al and Boogie are good at). Also, IT is actually really good at running around screens, so you could play with a wing  (jonas, jae, jaylen, green) and two shooters using off-ball screens.

They are both such good mid-range shooters that I really think it would be pretty scary.

What problems or other schemes do you think would be good or bad?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: What would a Boogie/Horford offense look like?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 02:19:01 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Offensively they'd be nearly impossible to stop. Boogie is basically unstoppable in the post. He's just too big and skilled. His added three point range and increased ball-handling and penetration also makes him deadly out on the perimeter, too, while the same can be said about Horford, too.

The only thing I worry about is small-ball lineups that make Horford get really involved out on the perimeter. I question is permanent mobility as a 4 defensively against smaller, quicker 4's, especially as he ages.

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 02:47:49 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Offensively they'd be nearly impossible to stop. Boogie is basically unstoppable in the post. He's just too big and skilled. His added three point range and increased ball-handling and penetration also makes him deadly out on the perimeter, too, while the same can be said about Horford, too.

The only thing I worry about is small-ball lineups that make Horford get really involved out on the perimeter. I question is permanent mobility as a 4 defensively against smaller, quicker 4's, especially as he ages.

But you would only have either Boogie or Horford on the floor for the small-ball unit no? In which case they take the 5.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 07:50:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Boogie is a scoring machine stranded on a sucky team .

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 07:55:49 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'd rather have Isaiah and KO out on the perimeter.  Sully shooting those shots wasn't overly good and I  think he'd hurt Horford's value here in ways and well as Brown.  I'd much rather get something else plus a defensive presence the more I think about it.  Boogie is like Chamberlain to me great player but has his issues where he dominates the ball.  He also makes a lot of mental errors.

He's a beast on the low block and as a rebounder. He needs to stay inside more. He does alter the game because of his sheer size and skill that way.  Other ways he actually hurts you.

Having Cousins and Horford would be good but they both like to handle the ball and I feel like they would get in each others way unless they were absolutely in sync with what is going on with everyone else.   

Cousins would have to sacrifice parts of his game to come here.

Horford to me is Boogie without his issues.  He's like the paul pierce version of  lebron.  Boogie has more issues than Lebron though as far as winning basketball.   Lebron can win  you a lot of basketball games on his sheer ridiculousness.  Boogie doesn't do that yet.

Boogie will get you  27 points and 11 boards with assists and fairly poor percentages because he plays outside when he shouldnt. 

Horford will get you less than that with better efficiency but allows other  guys to score. 

Isaiah and Cousins didn't coexist overly and I'd have my worries about that.

Parish and Mchale were great because Mchale was a supreme low post player.  Both guys were versatile but they both shot very high percentages. Bird was kind of the catalyst and scorer on top of those guys.

Horford and Cousins could do the same if they played the right way but that's the question.

I really like Boogie and he would give us a dominant force which we lack, but he would have to adjust his game some.

I don't mind Cousins handing the ball to Isaiah at the top of the key and screening and rolling  but those long range shots and where he handles the ball in open space would need to be tapered

He can hit 3's. Even at a decent percentage. I think he hit 1 a game last year but that stuff also kills his percentages. Horford basically doesn't do this. Where KO can at a much better clip.

With Boogie and Horford playing 40 minutes a game that also leaves very little room for anyone else.

I don't think we are going to be a team that beats teams on sheer talent like that where we have 5 guys who all play massive minutes.  I just dont think we are going to get to that kind of talent level. Boogie is really good though so its tempting. He definately would give us talent.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 08:26:38 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 09:08:06 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

But you would only have either Boogie or Horford on the floor for the small-ball unit no? In which case they take the 5.
Which would put one of your best players on the bench.  If the other team plays small ball the whole game, you'd only get 48 minutes from Cousins and Horford when you should be getting 60+ minutes.  When you have good offensive bigs and the other team tries to play small ball, you should pound them inside and make them pay for doing so. 

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 09:35:47 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
If we get Boogie, you might as well just hand us the championship and cancel the season.  Our team would be sooooooo....sick

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think we will be pretty good but that team still has a lot to prove. Cousins never won anything or even make the playoffs since being drafted but then you can argue he didn't exactly have the best of talent around him other than last year with Rondo and Gay, and even then they fail to make it.

Horford has had some really good success with the Hawks helping them make playoffs since being a rookie and being a top 4 team in the East the last few years.

I think the front court would be amazing that Horford is selfless and can score when he needs to. The passing would be amazing and I would say the pick and roll either can provide Isaiah or anyone else would be amazing.

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 12:27:07 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
What's also good to note is that there's probably not a better role model for Boogie in the league than Horford. I think Boogie would really flourish with Horford as a guiding role model for him, similar to KG and Perk.

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2016, 12:30:16 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If we get Boogie, you might as well just hand us the championship and cancel the season.  Our team would be sooooooo....sick
We would have to give up a lot to get Cousins and even if we didnt, Golden State is still more talented.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.