Author Topic: C's up to 4th best title odds behind GSW, CLE, & SAS  (Read 3008 times)

Re: C's up to 4th best title odds behind GSW, CLE, & SAS
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
I don't understand what betting odds mean.

What's the difference between 4/5 odds and 18/1 odds?

Does that mean if you bet $10 dollars on the Celtics winning the title and they succeeded, you'd win $180 ($170 profit)...

Whereas... if you bet $10 dollars on the Warriors winning the title and they succeeded, you'd get back $8 for a $2 loss? Lol

You got it right, except that you don't lose your original money, you get it back. So if you bet $10 on the warriors you get your $10 back plus the $8 from winning the bet. The victor takes everything.

There's another major type of betting in American sports, baseball uses it a lot.

You might see a game at +225. Like when David Price is pitching in a high-pressure game. It means you need to bet $100 on Price, and if you win you get $225.

Likewise if the line is -225, that means you have to bet $225 to win $100.
Ah ok that makes sense.   Thanks for finally clearing that up for me.  So if it's +X, that's the amount you have to bet to win $100.   I genuinely didn't know that.  As I've said before,  I stopped gambling when I lost all my Pogs to Ryan Thomas in 4th grade.

That's a pretty large chasm between 18/1 odds and 4/5 odds, then.   Are 18/1 odds typical of a team projected to have the 4th best record?  Or are these odds essentially saying, Golden State is the shoo-in, Cavs have a long-shot chance... everyone else is like betting on the Washington Generals in a Harlem Globetrotters game?

****!!!  That last sentence sums up the whole coming NBA season perfectly!

Re: C's up to 4th best title odds behind GSW, CLE, & SAS
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Looks good on paper, but those top 3 teams are sitting by themselves, way above everybody else.

The Celtics will have a tough enough time beating Toronto. Just read this morning that Sullinger has lost 40 lbs. Now why didn't he do that in Boston?