Poll

Of the rotational players, who is the least versatile?

Isaiah Thomas
16 (36.4%)
Avery Bradley
5 (11.4%)
Jae Crowder
0 (0%)
Kelly Olynyk
3 (6.8%)
Al Horford
0 (0%)
Marcus Smart
2 (4.5%)
Terry Rozier
1 (2.3%)
Jaylen Brown
1 (2.3%)
Jonas Jerebko
3 (6.8%)
Amir Johnson
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Celtic's Least Versatile Player?  (Read 3639 times)

Re: Celtic's Least Versatile Player?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 07:34:41 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Not a guy you want switching around too much. 

Eh? You DON'T want Bradley switching? As far guards go, isn't Bradley among the best in the league as switching on defense?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 07:37:39 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Eh? You DON'T want Bradley switching? As far guards go, isn't Bradley among the best in the league as switching on defense?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34gviEcQCOA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dISWWWDQdCM

not bad.

but yeah, you dont want AB on anything other than a 1 or a smaller 2 for extended periods of time.

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

On guards, yes.  Onto bigger guys, not so much.

Bradley's "superpower" is his ability to stick to opposing ball-handlers and all-around shifty guards, e.g. Curry.

What I want from Bradley, in an ideal situation, is for him to stay stuck to the primary backcourt ball-handler / playmaker on defense and remain almost entirely off the ball, spreading the floor and never taking more than a couple dribbles, on offense.

Like I said, I think he's really good at what he's good at, but I wouldn't call him versatile.  There is only one role I want him to play.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Would someone do me a favor and please define "versatile" here? What I am seeing are answers that are all over the place and people talking past one another.

I would define "versatile" as being able to fill multiple roles on offense or defense. 

So, a guy who can defend ball-handling guards and bigger wings, or a guy who can defend wings on the perimeter and also switch onto bigger guys and handle them inside 15 feet. 

Or, on offense, a guy who can run around screens and spot up but also isolate and create a shot for himself, or run a pick and roll and kick it out to the open man.  Or perhaps it's a big man who can spot up in the corner and also take advantage of smaller guys in the post.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2016, 08:40:49 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Zeller
Agree, should be on the list.  Pretty limited, even for a big man. Can do a few nifty things but only under right circumstances.   

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2016, 08:47:08 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I hate this topic. Minus 1 TP to the thread starter. Everyone on the team is awesome. There in the NBA, and we have no Popeye Jones, and Milt Palacios.

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2016, 09:25:45 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Guys..... IT can play the 1 and the 2 better then almost all other players in the NBA, I'd say he's pretty versatile.  Not to mention he scores from all parts of the court and also gets a lot of assist.

Pretty versatile if you ask me.

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2016, 07:29:01 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Zeller as well here.

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2016, 07:57:47 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I went for Amir. You have to look at both sides of the ball. Amir is strictly a paint player on offense. On defence he has versatility but no more so than JJ or Brown.

IT has HUGE versatility on offense, more than any other player on the roster. He is our main ball handler and is also very effective off ball, has a wide range of shots as well. Defensively he has little versatility. So really you are comparing IT's versatility on offense against Amir's on defence, to me it is clear which one is more important

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2016, 08:08:48 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I went for Amir. You have to look at both sides of the ball. Amir is strictly a paint player on offense. On defence he has versatility but no more so than JJ or Brown.

IT has HUGE versatility on offense, more than any other player on the roster. He is our main ball handler and is also very effective off ball, has a wide range of shots as well. Defensively he has little versatility. So really you are comparing IT's versatility on offense against Amir's on defence, to me it is clear which one is more important
Amir is a better player than Zeller and is clearly more versatile.

IMO, the player left off the poll is the least versatile: Zeller.

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2016, 01:03:06 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Amir is a better player than Zeller and is clearly more versatile.

IMO, the player left off the poll is the least versatile: Zeller.

Yes but the poll says rotation players so I guess it depends on whether you think Zeller is in the rotation. Normally a team would only go 9 or 10 deep so I doubt it