Author Topic: Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.  (Read 13426 times)

Re: Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 02:41:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't understand this idea that Lin is a starting quality NBA point guard. He has been unable to secure a starting position on the Rockets, Lakers and Hornets over the last couple of years. Most of those teams (especially the Lakers and Rockets) had a point guard position there for the taking. Time and time again this guy has proven he can be very effective coming off the bench for offense and getting to the line, but asking him to do more than that leads to problems.

I guess we could think of Billups first 5 stops in the league as a cautionary tale, but Billups was also at least showing capable of holding down a starting role and started with a much higher pedigree.

Also do people not realize his numbers have declined every year since his New York days? His shooting percentage, scoring, steals and assists were all at an all time low last year since he became a rotation player....
um this is a fantasy thread.  you know basically the Nets win 40 games, tell me how.  Did you miss that?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I will say that young, hardworking teams with little talent usually tend to exceed expectations, especially early and late in the year when they can sneak up on better teams.  The only real exception is if they start fighting amongst themselves which doesn't seem too likely with this bunch.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 02:51:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I really doubt the Nets will be any good this year.  So much the better for us.

But here are the things I believe would need to be true for them to win 30+ games:

- Lin and Lopez quickly develop chemistry and are effective in the pick and roll together

- Lopez, Lin, and RHJ all play 70+ games

- LeVert is healthy and gives them decent backup wing minutes

- Bogdanovic has 5-10 explosive shooting nights

- Scola and Booker combine to give them 40-48 minutes of competence at the PF position

- Between McCullough, Hamilton, and Sims, they get acceptable production from backup C

- Greivis Vasquez stays healthy, plays hard for his next contract, and returns to his pre-injury level.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 03:20:11 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't understand this idea that Lin is a starting quality NBA point guard. He has been unable to secure a starting position on the Rockets, Lakers and Hornets over the last couple of years. Most of those teams (especially the Lakers and Rockets) had a point guard position there for the taking. Time and time again this guy has proven he can be very effective coming off the bench for offense and getting to the line, but asking him to do more than that leads to problems.

I guess we could think of Billups first 5 stops in the league as a cautionary tale, but Billups was also at least showing capable of holding down a starting role and started with a much higher pedigree.

Also do people not realize his numbers have declined every year since his New York days? His shooting percentage, scoring, steals and assists were all at an all time low last year since he became a rotation player....
um this is a fantasy thread.  you know basically the Nets win 40 games, tell me how.  Did you miss that?

It was mainly in response to saying Lin was underrated. I think it is fair to point out how much his statistics have declined in response to that and that he has been unable to hold down a starting job on 3 previous teams. For most people, that is useful information.

Now you being a general pain in the butt out of the way, I think some of the stuff like RHJ taking a leap or Bennett somehow flashing potential are actually things that could happen.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

But here are the things I believe would need to be true for them to win 30+ games:

- Lin and Lopez quickly develop chemistry and are effective in the pick and roll together

- Scola and Booker combine to give them 40-48 minutes of competence at the PF position

- Between McCullough, Hamilton, and Sims, they get acceptable production from backup C

- Greivis Vasquez stays healthy, plays hard for his next contract, and returns to his pre-injury level.

I could see all of this being somewhere between likely and possible except for the Scola part. He is such a huge net negative on dense with his footspeed at 36 that he can't approach competence. He should not have been starting for the Raptors last year at any point and it is insane it took till the playoffs for Casey to figure that out. He is definitely cooked.

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Convince me that the Nets will win 40 games next season. Feel free to get creative. Acts of God aren't usually creative.

I can't do it over the internet, but my plan would be to hit you in the head repeatedly until you are sufficiently brain-damaged to believe that the Nets will win 40 games this season.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 05:36:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I could see all of this being somewhere between likely and possible except for the Scola part. He is such a huge net negative on dense with his footspeed at 36 that he can't approach competence. He should not have been starting for the Raptors last year at any point and it is insane it took till the playoffs for Casey to figure that out. He is definitely cooked.

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that, though I could see him being decent for 15-20 minutes a night just for the sake of stretching the floor and keeping the ball moving.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 05:39:03 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Convince me that the Nets will win 40 games next season. Feel free to get creative. Acts of God aren't usually creative.

I can't do it over the internet, but my plan would be to hit you in the head repeatedly until you are sufficiently brain-damaged to believe that the Nets will win 40 games this season.

If it were possible for sufficiently angry people to do that sort of thing over the Internet I suspect we'd all be in big trouble.  Sounds like the premise of a horror movie.

"Trollus Ex Machina"

Tag-line:

"You can try not to feed the trolls, but who will stop them feeding on you?"

OR

"And you thought the comment section was a blood bath BEFORE ...."
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 06:48:39 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
With the season starting soon, I thought it high time to take a good long look at the golden goose and make sure that there's no possible way it's less golden than we thought.

My attempt:
"
The Nets got rid of a lot of the deadweight in their roster, and although they are young, they potential have a few under the radar talented guys who are not adverse to hard work and improvement. The general culture of stagnation present with Joe Johnson and Deron Williams is long gone, and the new guys in their places are hungry to compete. With a new coach and a bunch of young players eager to prove themselves, if a few things break right (eg. Not Brooke's ankles), the Nets could find themselves in a position to succeed faster than anyone expected them to, similar to the 2015 Celtics. Defense will continue to be an issue, but Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has the tools to be a major stopper and the effort will be there in a way which breaks with the past. On offence, Lin will spring back to life when given consistent minutes and a consistent starting roll. The Lopez-Lin pick and roll is surprisingly effective and the ball moves more fluidly now that Jerret Jack is gone, which gives Bargani and Scola good opportunities for open looks and a stretched court. They won't be world beaters on offence, but they have the guys they need to stay competitive.

They will take a few teams by surprise with their energy, grit, and offensive firepower. They will consistently beat the bad teams and compete with the average teams. They'll stay healthy all season and end up just outside the playoffs."

Gimme your best shot!

Other than an act of God I don't see it.  8)

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 10:20:49 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

If it were possible for sufficiently angry people to do that sort of thing over the Internet I suspect we'd all be in big trouble.  Sounds like the premise of a horror movie.

"Trollus Ex Machina"

Tag-line:

"You can try not to feed the trolls, but who will stop them feeding on you?"

OR

"And you thought the comment section was a blood bath BEFORE ...."

lol. not bad.

The only way the Nets get decent is if two things happen:

1) A couple of their young players are hidden gems and have breakout seasons

2) Some of the teams ahead of them (Pistons, Charlotte, Knicks, etc) underachieve/have injuries.

Basically if the Nets players are who we think they are, they will be a very bad team. Basketball is the most predictable sport; you don't have farm systems that polish and produce so many emerging surprises like baseball. You don't have the general malaise caused by the NFL and NHL's strict salary caps which lead to a ton of mediocre teams which can be leapfrogged.

In the NBA the big picture is a lot simpler, the surprise playoff teams usually have good young talent fueled by high draft picks. Thanks to Billy King, the Nets do not have those assets. And thanks to the general disaster he caused, good free agents don't want to go there. No amount of Brook Lopez beasting or good coaching will fill holes caused by third-stringers playing heavy minutes.

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I don't want to convince you b/c I'm using that energy hoping they Net us #1 and our future great center/player.  ;D
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2016, 01:43:18 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They didn't really make any major additions this summer.  Unless Anthony Bennett ends up a superstar, they should be really bad again this year.   The only thing to be worried about is them somehow sneaking in like 32 wins and playing out of the bottom 5. 
hmm, but isn't this the same roster (less Thad) that you proclaimed to be a playoff contender last year?
I never said that.

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2016, 07:55:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Nets are starting over from square one .  Maybe the owner has finally thrown in the towel on buying a championship,team and is gonna go the build a franchise the correct way.

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2016, 09:54:35 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
They didn't really make any major additions this summer.  Unless Anthony Bennett ends up a superstar, they should be really bad again this year.   The only thing to be worried about is them somehow sneaking in like 32 wins and playing out of the bottom 5. 
hmm, but isn't this the same roster (less Thad) that you proclaimed to be a playoff contender last year?
I never said that.
I thought Eddie had your quote under all of his posts.

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I still can't believe we have two firsts coming from the Nets (well, a swap and then their first).
Danny pulled off a heist.
Celtics fan for life.