Author Topic: Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.  (Read 13436 times)

Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:44:10 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
With the season starting soon, I thought it high time to take a good long look at the golden goose and make sure that there's no possible way it's less golden than we thought.

Convince me that the Nets will win 40 games next season. Feel free to get creative. Acts of God aren't usually creative.

My attempt:
"
The Nets got rid of a lot of the deadweight in their roster, and although they are young, they potential have a few under the radar talented guys who are not adverse to hard work and improvement. The general culture of stagnation present with Joe Johnson and Deron Williams is long gone, and the new guys in their places are hungry to compete. With a new coach and a bunch of young players eager to prove themselves, if a few things break right (eg. Not Brooke's ankles), the Nets could find themselves in a position to succeed faster than anyone expected them to, similar to the 2015 Celtics. Defense will continue to be an issue, but Rondae Hollis-Jefferson has the tools to be a major stopper and the effort will be there in a way which breaks with the past. On offence, Lin will spring back to life when given consistent minutes and a consistent starting roll. The Lopez-Lin pick and roll is surprisingly effective and the ball moves more fluidly now that Jerret Jack is gone, which gives Bargani and Scola good opportunities for open looks and a stretched court. They won't be world beaters on offence, but they have the guys they need to stay competitive.

They will take a few teams by surprise with their energy, grit, and offensive firepower. They will consistently beat the bad teams and compete with the average teams. They'll stay healthy all season and end up just outside the playoffs."

Gimme your best shot!
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

Re: Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Regression to the mean, yo!

...best I can do.

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Bargniani is gone , he signed in Europe.

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:34:43 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Regression to the mean, yo!

...best I can do.

Hah! TP. Let's hope the principals of mathematics turn a blind eye this season.

Bargniani is gone , he signed in Europe.

My bad. I mixed him up with Bojan Bogdanovic
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Divine intervention? There may be a deity or two out there with a soft spot for large-scale failure.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:06:44 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I like RHJ. I like Sean Kilpatrick. I like Jeremy Lin. I like their uniforms.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 01:11:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Brook Lopez is fed the ball down low and just dominates averaging 28 ppg.  Scola provides some nice energy and shooting next to him.

McCullough and RHJ pick up where they left off last year providing toughness and defense.  Bogdanovic makes another leap.

Booker with a new increased role proves to be a much better player than expected and more than makes up for Thad Young's departure. 

Lavert, Vasquez, Foye, and Lin prove to be a capable back-court rotation centered on Lin recreating his first month in NY. 

Bennett actually looks like a real NBA player and shows off the talent that made him the #1 pick in the draft.

I'm sure some of that is possible, though even with all of that, I'm still not sure Brooklyn gets to 40 wins.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 01:14:02 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
i think the biggest thing would be the Lin-Lopez Pick and Roll. I think Lin (and lopez, to a lesser extent, but especially Lin) is really underrated. I'm interested to see how he does with a full time starter role.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 01:17:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
First off not only is Brooks Lopez going to be healthy again, but he will dominate the league and then....

LOL, who am I kidding. I can't do this. The Nets are gonna suck.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 01:24:10 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
They didn't really make any major additions this summer.  Unless Anthony Bennett ends up a superstar, they should be really bad again this year.   The only thing to be worried about is them somehow sneaking in like 32 wins and playing out of the bottom 5. 

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 01:39:22 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
The only reason I can think of is Bennett (a former #1 pick) all of a sudden wakes up one night in November and morphs into a Lebron Clone... 8)

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 02:06:10 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
They didn't really make any major additions this summer.  Unless Anthony Bennett ends up a superstar, they should be really bad again this year.   The only thing to be worried about is them somehow sneaking in like 32 wins and playing out of the bottom 5. 
hmm, but isn't this the same roster (less Thad) that you proclaimed to be a playoff contender last year?

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 02:11:57 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Barclays has good concerts. That's all I got.

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2016, 02:18:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I don't understand this idea that Lin is a starting quality NBA point guard. He has been unable to secure a starting position on the Rockets, Lakers and Hornets over the last couple of years. Most of those teams (especially the Lakers and Rockets) had a point guard position there for the taking. Time and time again this guy has proven he can be very effective coming off the bench for offense and getting to the line, but asking him to do more than that leads to problems.

I guess we could think of Billups first 5 stops in the league as a cautionary tale, but Billups was also at least showing capable of holding down a starting role and started with a much higher pedigree.

Also do people not realize his numbers have declined every year since his New York days? His shooting percentage, scoring, steals and assists were all at an all time low last year since he became a rotation player....

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2016, 02:37:20 PM »

Online RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
They're so bad that every single game they play this season will be against a team that's looking ahead to the next game.