Author Topic: Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.  (Read 13431 times)

Re: Convince me that the Nets are gonna be good/average this year.
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:02 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd reach through this computer and hand you a cold beer if I could, Kraidstar.

You'll have to settle for a TP instead.

Funnily enough, I just opened one right before I read your post. It's in my hand now. Very cold and very good. Must have picked up your good vibes through the ether.

Either that or I am just an alcoholic.
Honestly, it's funny that basically every single thing you quoted proves me right, but people will take it out of context and misinterpret it to serve their little pathetic agendas.

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:08 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
They didn't really make any major additions this summer.  Unless Anthony Bennett ends up a superstar, they should be really bad again this year.   The only thing to be worried about is them somehow sneaking in like 32 wins and playing out of the bottom 5. 
hmm, but isn't this the same roster (less Thad) that you proclaimed to be a playoff contender last year?
I never said that.
I thought Eddie had your quote under all of his posts.
wrong.  Eddie had a quote of me being right about Brooklyn.  You are misremembering it.
eddies quote had lb embarrassing himself.
Wrong.   It was a quote taken out of context from when I was probably first asked this question and I very lightly said something to the extent of, if Joe Johnson played the entire season, and their starting PG played 82 games, and if Rondae Hollis-Jefferson played the full season, and their depth didn't take a massive hit, they could maybe threaten to win enough games to play themselves out of the bottom 10.   That's all.  And of course, they spun it into some attack on the Celtics and some celebration of the Brooklyn Nets.  That never happened.

Of course, Johnson didn't make it through the whole season.  Their starting PG was limited to 32 games.  RHJ was limited to 17 games as a starter.... so their depth was basically non-existent and just as I predicted numerous times, they ended up in the bottom 5 like I fully expected.  I was 100% right.

What never happened were all of those caveats. Plain and simple you were touting the Nets as a quite possible playoff team while the rest of us said they'd stink. You were wrong.
I never touted the Nets as a playoff team.  That never happened.  In conversations I've had for the past year, I always said Brooklyn would finish in the bottom 5.  Call Sean Hannity and he'll confirm.

The Donald does not appreciate your making light of his plight.

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2016, 11:43:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
They didn't really make any major additions this summer.  Unless Anthony Bennett ends up a superstar, they should be really bad again this year.   The only thing to be worried about is them somehow sneaking in like 32 wins and playing out of the bottom 5. 
hmm, but isn't this the same roster (less Thad) that you proclaimed to be a playoff contender last year?
I never said that.
wrong.  Eddie had a quote of me being right about Brooklyn.  You are misremembering it.
Wrong.   It was a quote taken out of context from when I was probably first asked this question and I very lightly said something to the extent of, if Joe Johnson played the entire season, and their starting PG played 82 games, and if Rondae Hollis-Jefferson played the full season, and their depth didn't take a massive hit, they could maybe threaten to win enough games to play themselves out of the bottom 10.   That's all.  And of course, they spun it into some attack on the Celtics and some celebration of the Brooklyn Nets.  That never happened.

Of course, Johnson didn't make it through the whole season.  Their starting PG was limited to 32 games.  RHJ was limited to 17 games as a starter.... so their depth was basically non-existent and just as I predicted numerous times, they ended up in the bottom 5 like I fully expected.  I was 100% right.

What never happened were all of those caveats. Plain and simple you were touting the Nets as a quite possible playoff team while the rest of us said they'd stink. You were wrong.
I never touted the Nets as a playoff team.  That never happened.  In conversations I've had for the past year, I always said Brooklyn would finish in the bottom 5.  Call Sean Hannity and he'll confirm.

Why does nobody call Sean Hannity to confirm I predicted Brooklyn would be a bottom 5 team?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:00:21 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2016, 11:48:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Funnily enough, I just opened one right before I read your post. It's in my hand now. Very cold and very good. Must have picked up your good vibes through the ether.

Honestly, it's funny that basically every single thing you quoted proves me right, but people will take it out of context and misinterpret it to serve their little pathetic agendas.
que?

I think the celtics can go undefeated this season.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2016, 11:59:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I never said that.

I joke, but really... everything you quoted, with proper context, 100% vindicates me and puts this entire little ax-grindy jealousy-fueled witch hunt to bed.

Since you put forth the effort, I'll actually go through them one by one for you.

#1 quote:  July 4th... two weeks before Deron was waived. Who gives a crap if I said "I expect them to be back in the playoffs next year", two weeks before they got rid of arguably their best player in +/-.  This was, of course, coming right on the heels of Brooklyn having made the playoffs two years in a row.  Irrelevant quote that means nothing as it was completely negated as soon as they changed their roster.

#2 quote:  September 16th:  "Brooklyn finished the season 13-5.  My bad... that's a 59 win pace."  ... Not even sure what the point in quoting me there is.  That was a 100% accurate statement.  They had finished the prior season 13-5.  That was a 59 win pace.  That was literally me sharing a fact.   You're welcome, I guess?

#3 quote:  Me summarizing their roster and pointing out the lack of impact guys like Plumlee had made for them in the playoffs.  Once again, me sharing facts.  You're welcome.

#4 quote:  October 5th:  "I still think they can hover around .500 this season."  ... I stand by that.  There was a scenario where that could have happened.  It didn't.  Much ado about nothing.   Boston CAN miss the playoffs this year.  Doesn't mean they will.  Philly CAN make the playoffs this year.  Super unlikely, but there's a chain of events that could make that a reality.

#5 quote:  October 10th.   This is the one that Eddie20 printed out and stapled on his bedroom wall to kiss every night before bedtime:  "Just not buying the idea that Brooklyn is a bottom team now, though.  If they stay healthy, they will be ok"   They didn't stay healthy.  They weren't ok.   I was proven right.

#6 quote:  October 31:  "Chicago and the Spurs might be the best Eastern and Western conference teams in the league.   Glad to see Brooklyn start the season 0-2"... Did you really think that was worthy of quoting?  For one, Chicago might have been the best Eastern Conference team had they remained healthy.  They were coming off a 50 win season, afterall.  Butler was limited to 67 games.  Rose was limited to 62 games.  Noah, who had previously been their defensive centerpiece, basically missed the entire season.  They ended up winning 42.   Who knows how Chicago would have been had things worked out, but they MIGHT have been one of the best in the East.   If they got 50 more games out of Noah, 20 more out of a healthy Rose and a full season out of Butler, things MIGHT have worked out differently. 

The problem is, people take these statements at face value and don't consider that they aren't intended to be Nostradamian Sooth-Sayings.  Merely making observations and commentary on how teams might pan out if various contingencies like health and chemistry reach their optimal levels.  Like right now, I believe Boston should win 55+ this season based on what I see.   That's a fair comment to make.  If they flounder and win less than 40, most people would shrug it off as a bad break.  Unfortunately, there's some sad sacks who will go out of their way to audit my comments, claim that I guaranteed 55+ wins out of Boston, and bring it up incessantly every time I make a post here, because they often disagree with my wholly accurate observations. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 12:08:37 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2016, 12:55:26 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
I never said that.

I joke, but really... everything you quoted, with proper context, 100% vindicates me and puts this entire little ax-grindy jealousy-fueled witch hunt to bed.

Since you put forth the effort, I'll actually go through them one by one for you.

#1 quote:  July 4th... two weeks before Deron was waived. Who gives a crap if I said "I expect them to be back in the playoffs next year", two weeks before they got rid of arguably their best player in +/-.  This was, of course, coming right on the heels of Brooklyn having made the playoffs two years in a row.  Irrelevant quote that means nothing as it was completely negated as soon as they changed their roster.

#2 quote:  September 16th:  "Brooklyn finished the season 13-5.  My bad... that's a 59 win pace."  ... Not even sure what the point in quoting me there is.  That was a 100% accurate statement.  They had finished the prior season 13-5.  That was a 59 win pace.  That was literally me sharing a fact.   You're welcome, I guess?

#3 quote:  Me summarizing their roster and pointing out the lack of impact guys like Plumlee had made for them in the playoffs.  Once again, me sharing facts.  You're welcome.

#4 quote:  October 5th:  "I still think they can hover around .500 this season."  ... I stand by that.  There was a scenario where that could have happened.  It didn't.  Much ado about nothing.   Boston CAN miss the playoffs this year.  Doesn't mean they will.  Philly CAN make the playoffs this year.  Super unlikely, but there's a chain of events that could make that a reality.

#5 quote:  October 10th.   This is the one that Eddie20 printed out and stapled on his bedroom wall to kiss every night before bedtime:  "Just not buying the idea that Brooklyn is a bottom team now, though.  If they stay healthy, they will be ok"   They didn't stay healthy.  They weren't ok.   I was proven right.

#6 quote:  October 31:  "Chicago and the Spurs might be the best Eastern and Western conference teams in the league.   Glad to see Brooklyn start the season 0-2"... Did you really think that was worthy of quoting?  For one, Chicago might have been the best Eastern Conference team had they remained healthy.  They were coming off a 50 win season, afterall.  Butler was limited to 67 games.  Rose was limited to 62 games.  Noah, who had previously been their defensive centerpiece, basically missed the entire season.  They ended up winning 42.   Who knows how Chicago would have been had things worked out, but they MIGHT have been one of the best in the East.   If they got 50 more games out of Noah, 20 more out of a healthy Rose and a full season out of Butler, things MIGHT have worked out differently. 

The problem is, people take these statements at face value and don't consider that they aren't intended to be Nostradamian Sooth-Sayings.  Merely making observations and commentary on how teams might pan out if various contingencies like health and chemistry reach their optimal levels.  Like right now, I believe Boston should win 55+ this season based on what I see.   That's a fair comment to make.  If they flounder and win less than 40, most people would shrug it off as a bad break.  Unfortunately, there's some sad sacks who will go out of their way to audit my comments, claim that I guaranteed 55+ wins out of Boston, and bring it up incessantly every time I make a post here, because they often disagree with my wholly accurate observations.

Just giving you a hard time, man.

For the record I think a lot of your analysis about the Nets was correct - no-one is debating that the Nets played pretty well at the end of the 2014-15 season, that was a good point you had made.

And I get the context of those debates, all C's fans were excited about it.

But it seemed unlikely the Nets continued that trend, especially with the continuing deterioration of their older players, the lack of quality back-ups, and the big question mark that was of Lopez's foot.

So you made some good points, but it just seemed highly improbable that the factors you mentioned would be enough to get them into the playoffs. The analysis was good, the conclusions not so much. It happens.

It's OK to be wrong, everyone here is wrong a lot the time, it's part of life. A couple years back I claimed Klay Thompson was a glorified role player. Derp.

By the way, I did call Sean Hannity, and he told me I needed to go see Roger Ailes in a private meeting about it, something I don't plan on doing. So whatever really happened is likely to stay a big dark secret for many years to come.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:24:37 AM by kraidstar »

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2016, 02:44:14 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I never said that.

Oh, you rascal, you!

Even Sean Hannity is not confirming this one.

Brooklyn was fairly healthy last year aside from Jack. We got to see Lopez beast, Thad was decent, JJ was old but occasionally effective, and yet they were still really, really bad.

Pretty much what most of us predicted, the roster just wasn't good at all.

I compiled a little list of some of your greatest hits (I included the Porzingis-for-Lawson quote for bonus fun, don't know if you were kidding there or not):

Knicks (17 wins):  Melo is back.  Melo made the playoffs the first 9 years of his career.  Typically 50+ win seasons.  Go ahead and knock him, but the guy has talent.   They added Aaron Afflalo and Robin Lopez.  Kyle O'Quinn is a serviceable starting PF with quality defense.  Point guard is a concern.  Who are they playing there... Jerian Grant or something?  I imagine Porzingus comes off the bench.   Maybe they should move Porzingus for Ty Lawson or something.  Not unthinkable that team will win 40+. 

Brooklyn (38 wins):  That team showed real life down the stretch with Brook Lopez back in the starting lineup and the addition of Thad Young.  Everyone seems to think they are toast.  I don't get it.  They have been a playoff team two years in a row. I expect them to be back in the playoffs next year.

guys this is seriously getting ridiculous. I cant find a single sportsbook that has the nets at over 33 wins. If you really think they will 35-40 games go place a huge bet and rub the money in our face. Otherwise, you kind of just come off like a jerk. If i say I think the Patriots are going to make the playoffs i don't really need to give much of an explanation. Everyone expects and agrees they most likely will. On the opposite end of that, if I said I thought the Jets would make the playoffs i would need a hell of a lot of advanced statistics and reasoning to make an argument that was compelling against all other predictions and statistics. In the case of the nets backers here, you are the jets fans. Every sports site has the Nets bottom of the east. You feel differently, burden is on you. Dont call people homers for agreeing with the general consensus.
THis is year 4 of people expecting the Nets to bottom out.  People have been writing them off since KG and Pierce had a slow start.  Whatever.  There's no incentive for them to be bad.  You're more likely to see Boston change gears and tank than you are to see Brooklyn end up at the bottom of the standings.

2012 49 wins
2013 44 wins
2014 38 wins
2015 ? wins

Seems to be a trend there. Lost one of their better players in DWill and jettisoned some other useful pieces to save money. The Russian has made a huge profit on paper if he wants to sell.

Why do they need an incentive to be bad?
Lopez inexplicably spent the bulk of the season coming off the bench.  When he started next to Thad young they played at a 56 win pace.
11-9 when they started together in regular season, 13-13 including playoffs. Neither is a 56 game pace.
Brooklyn finished the season 13-5.  My bad... that's a 59 win pace.  I was just going off memory from the last dozen times we've had threads on this wishful thinking topic.   

But nice point about the playoffs.  Based on playoffs, Boston will go 0-82 this season.

I wouldn't count on Brooklyn sucking.  They finished the season strong.  Brook Lopez and Thad Young made a difference.  I think our pick from them will end up in the 12-17 range.

This is exactly what I thought too. Then they traded Plumlee, KG left, Teletovic went down, Johnson got older and had his 5th straight season of decline.

I'm getting pretty bored of this topic, but i'll just briefly touch on this.

- Plumlee was irrelevant in the second half of the season.
- Swapping KG for Thad Young gave them a major positive Jolt
- Teletovic?  Lol
- Johnson... eh... still a solid player
- Lopez was beasting over the past three months of the season.  That makes a difference as a healthy Lopez is a force down low.

Agree to disagree.  Hope you guys end up right.

I still think they can hover around .500 this season.

I still think they can hover around .500 this season.
right, but by comparison you think the C's will suck ::)

I think the C's probably win 40-45.

I think Brooklyn probably wins 35-40.    The pick should be in the 12-17 range.

I've never said the C's will suck.   It's a phenomenally coached group of role players.  I've been on board with the David Lee addition since it was announced... poor man's Kevin Love.   The team obviously will not contend, but it's not going to suck.  Should be firmly mediocre.  It's a bloated roster filled with ok players.  If we manage to combine a handful of those ok players/picks and land a superstar, stuff will get interesting around here.   

Just not buying the idea that Brooklyn is a bottom team now, though.  If they stay healthy, they will be ok.

Chicago and the Spurs might be the best Eastern and Western conference teams in the league.   Glad to see Brooklyn start the season 0-2, but I'm still not giving my hopes up.

Double bonus for the Bulls prediction in that last post.

Your sins are laid bare, my friend, repent!

:D
post of the year wow. That is a lot of egg to clean off for LB. just so so so wrong rofl

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2016, 02:46:46 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I never said that.

lol. This is your funniest day on the board

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:24 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Not sure this year's team even if healthy is better than last year's. Lin for Jack is a push. Thad is a huuuge loss... improvement from RHJ and Bogdanovich could make them a sleeper (by which I mean competetive-ish), like a weird Phoenix team.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:54 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I never said that.

lol. This is your funniest day on the board
Glad I was able to clear up some confusion, Flav.  That should settle once and for all that I expected Brooklyn to be a bottom 5 team last year barring unforeseen health.

On a personal note, I'm humbled that you think a post filled with my quotes is "post of the year" worthy.   It's nice to know that even one of the most vocal of my Flavs appreciates my contributions to this otherwise insignificant digital venue.   

Anyways, I agree that we aren't out of the woods yet.  I think Brooklyn maybe can possibly play themselves out of the bottom 10 depending on how the rest of this season goes for them and whether or not Anthony Bennett develops into a superstar. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:34:46 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2016, 10:30:01 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Bogdanovic and Hollis Jefferson like has been said.  There are some really bad teams in the nba.  The Nets lack any really great talent outside of Lopez. Lin will get to play there.  I don't think they are going to be the worst team I've ever seen.  They've already been that.

Lin
Kilpatrick
Jefferson
Booker
Lopez

VAsquez
Foye
Bogdanovic
Scola
Hamilton

I don't expect Levert to do much but will get a shot. McCullough might. They really could use their draft picks the past 3 years they might actually have a bright future.  They are going to have to be active somehow in free agency and make smart signings although who is going to want to go there.  Maybe they will find a really kind player that wants to lead them back?

Not really doing a good job convincing you they will be good or average although  I don't think they will be completely awful.  Better than the mess they've had there the last few years.

Lopez could have a banner year.  Lin plays well and they have good coaching(who is their coach?), and Jefferson starts becoming a star they will be alright.

Honestly I'd much rather be the nets than a team like Charlotte who has Jordan as their GM. I'd like to take a crack at rebuilding a team like the nets.  They are an interesting team.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:36:19 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 10:37:20 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Booker and Scola have experience and play hard.  Lin has a Linsanity esque year. Vasquez provides good pg play off the bench.  Hollis Jefferson starts becoming a star.  Kilpatrick provides them with consistant shooting.  Lopez has a banner year they could be average.  Bogdanovic and Foye provide scoring off the bench.  McCollough plays well.  I don't think all that will happen.

Whoever cleaned house and made the signings they did did a fairly good job though.  There is hope in Brooklyn where before they were a total mess.  The sky is at least blue there now.

Recordwise they will probably still end pretty bad though like we've been in the past when we were retooling and had cleaned house.  The difference is they have no draft picks. They are going to have to rely on smart signings and possibly moving Lopez to get picks.  I'm not sure I'd do that though in their case. I might try to build with Lopez and foreign talent and smart signings which they are doing.  And just wait a couple years until they have picks again. Develop Jefferson.  That really is key for them.

They will be an interesting team to watch.  It's going to take them 5 years to get back to any sort of legitament relevance though. The Nets potentially have a future.  There are much worse situations in the NBA.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 10:59:40 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2016, 11:35:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I cant and wont

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2016, 11:38:49 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
One thing about the nets is players there are going to be forced to get better. Hollis Jefferson normally they'd probably screw up his game and he wouldn't get to play. PLayers used to h ave all sorts of weird looking shots. Now everyone tries to fix these players and ruins them sometimes to the point where players don't improve.

Hollis Jefferson could become a star just because he has to.

If guys like Bill Cartright and Shawn Marion were drafted today they'd be ruined.

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2016, 11:57:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Dude whats up with your new icon photo.  Lol