Author Topic: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."  (Read 38603 times)

Re: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."
« Reply #240 on: September 28, 2016, 06:24:33 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
"It'll be interesting if Philly makes the playoffs this year."

The guy who wrote that must have the record for being wrong.
You don't think it would be interesting if Philly makes the playoffs this year?  I think it would be super interesting and I'm pretty much always right.

For starters, you should change the avatar.

Aren't you the guy that had Brooklyn winning forty games and a thread watch for a Celtics' lottery pick?
For starters, I've changed my avatar per your suggestion.

Secondly, no.  I never had Brooklyn winning 40 games.  I predicted Brooklyn would be a bottom 5 team.

And yes, I agree it's unlikely that Philly makes the playoffs this year.  That's why it would be very interesting if they did.

That's a blatant lie
Wrong.  See the Brooklyn thread for clarity.  We talked about in depth.  I was always a believer that Brooklyn would finish in the bottom 5.  Call Sean Hannity. 

Let's keep this thread focused on the Sixers.

i honestly cant tell anymore whether youre joking or not.

I wouldn't count on Brooklyn sucking.  They finished the season strong.  Brook Lopez and Thad Young made a difference.  I think our pick from them will end up in the 12-17 range.

was last year all a joke? or is today's rather long (and fun) discussion in the nets thread a joke? or are they both jokes? or was neither a joke?

im confused now. larbrd, whatever you did last year, do it again this year. it got us a top 3 pick, so maybe you really are the key to our franchise after all.
Ignore anything "LarBrd33" said back then.   That's when my account had be compromised by Putin and/or North Korea and/or Nicki Minaj's people and/or some 400 guy in his mother's basement.   Me and D'Angelo Russell are still feeling the fallout from it.

Listen, I appreciate that people keep wanting to put the focus on me.  Together we're building that iconic LarBrd33 brand.  My Uncle Norman was a pretty significant publicist back in the day.  Big list of clients.

Elton John...

Bob Dylan...

N.W.A...

And of course Michael Jackson...

And one thing ol Norm told me was "no publicity is bad publicity, kid"...  So I appreciate we're myth-building the Brd33 aura and all, but I really think we should focus on the 76ers in this thread and less on what what I may or may not have said in the past about the Brooklyn Nets.   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 06:35:27 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #241 on: September 28, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I thought we were told to stop this nonsense in the other thread....

« Reply #242 on: September 28, 2016, 07:07:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I thought we were told to stop this nonsense in the other thread....
Exactly.  So getting back on topic... I'm pretty excited that less than a week from now we get to finally see our team take on this trainwreck of a Philly team.   It should be super interesting.   

I really have no idea how any of this is going to play out for them.  Nobody else here does either.  For all we know, they have a handful of borderline acceptable offers they are sitting on.  Maybe Embiid flourishes.  Maybe Okafor makes a leap.  Maybe Noel takes a leap.   Maybe all three of them are disasters and get injured in their first preseason game.  Maybe Simmons busts.  Maybe they win less games than last year, Noel gets relegated to 10 angry minutes off the bench and they eventually let him walk.   

Really nobody can predict what will happen with that team.   This is basically the first week of them actually trying to put together a winner after multiple years of intentionally losing.  It's a grand mystery.   Aside from the Celtics, the three teams I'm most interested in watching this season out of pure curiosity are the Warriors, Timberwolves - and this Philly team.   Can't wait for the season to start.

« Reply #243 on: September 28, 2016, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I really have no idea how any of this is going to play out for them.  Nobody else here does either.  For all we know, they have a handful of borderline acceptable offers they are sitting on.  Maybe Embiid flourishes.  Maybe Okafor makes a leap.  Maybe Noel takes a leap.   Maybe all three of them are disasters and get injured in their first preseason game.  Maybe Simmons busts.  Maybe they win less games than last year, Noel gets relegated to 10 angry minutes off the bench and they eventually let him walk.   

Schrodinger's Sixers.

Mike

« Reply #244 on: September 28, 2016, 08:26:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Schrodinger's Sixers.

Mike
I just read another Philly article that basically just reiterated all the things I've already said here.  The way the writer presented it, everything hinges on Embiid's health.  If Embiid is healthy and looks like he can play - they trade Okafor.   If Embiid doesn't look like he's going to be healthy - they trade Noel.  They just started training camp and their coach is trying all sorts of different lineups and configurations.  Simmons has played some PG in practice.  THey've gone with different lineups - the one they were using during media access involved a large lineup including Embiid, Simmons, Saric, Covington and Bayless together.  They need to experiment and see what works before they make any decisions. 

I don't think it's going to be something that will be quickly figured out, either.   Today in practice, Sergio Rodriguez was flourishing.  In the brief clips I saw, Embiid looked like trash.  Just completely over his head, fumbling and bumbling the ball, turning it over, missing dunks, etc.  Some of which can be expected, because he's shaking off two years of rust and adjusting the NBA basketball.   That said, it was only a brief glimpse at his practice and apparently, he showed some signs that were positive as well:

So a lot left to decide before they jump on any trades.  They don't know what's expendable.  They don't know their needs are.   And whether or not the Mikes of the world want to agree with this, it's true that Philly is probably best off waiting a while to see how things develop before making a move.   My guess is it will be resolved, but it probably doesn't get resolved until closer to the trade deadline unless a guy like Noel or Okafor forces the issue.

Also, for the record, I 100% fully expect Philly to get taken behind the woodshed next week in our preseason game against them.   I'd be absolutely mortified if Philly somehow kept that game close.   Just getting that out there before one of you people gleefully celebrates the "victory" of "Philly's failure" immediately following literally their first preseason game together.  You know it's coming.  Fully anticipate some obnoxious comment about how I have egg in my face 40 minutes into the first game of a process that will likely take a half decade to fully comprehend. 

« Reply #245 on: September 28, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Fully anticipate some obnoxious comment about how I have egg in my face 40 minutes into the first game of a process that will likely take a half decade to fully comprehend.

The "process" started three years ago, but Philly gets another HALF-DECADE?  An EIGHT YEAR rebuild?  Ainge won a title in five years and just completed 80% of another rebuild in three, but we have to wait EIGHT YEARS to fairly evaluate the supposed genius of Hinkie?

Exactly how long did you wait to evaluate the NBA potential of Marcus Smart?  Was it even eight weeks?  Eight games?

Mike

« Reply #246 on: September 28, 2016, 10:31:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Fully anticipate some obnoxious comment about how I have egg in my face 40 minutes into the first game of a process that will likely take a half decade to fully comprehend.
Mike

Hinkie was hired in 2013-14 and set forward a rebuild.  He traded the team's lone all-star (Holiday) for then-injured Nerlens Noel and a pick that would eventually net Dario Saric.  A potentially excellent deal we can't yet fully evaluate in spite of Jrue Holiday's struggles.

Meanwhile, Boston also began a rebuild by trading two all-stars (Pierce and KG) as well as multiple veteran contributors like Jason Terry.   Ainge clearly had more assets to work with when that rebuild began - for instance, he was able to trade his coach for a 1st round pick.  But it's worth noting that despite having more assets to work with, the multi all-star trade to Brooklyn was magnified by the fact that Brooklyn obscenely overpaid in what may go down as one of the greatest heists in NBA trade history.

Initially, they took similar routes.  Philly tanked... 19 wins.   Boston tanked... 25 wins.

Hence why these two clubs are linked in the eyes of fans... especially on the Celtic forum.  They both started their rebuilds by consciously tanking in the Summer of 2013.  They both had their eyes on the 2014 draft everyone was calling potentially 8 stars deep.   For what it's worth, both teams landed one of the "potential stars" and both have failed (so far) to live up to that label.   The net result:  Embiid for Philly.   Smart for Boston.

2014-15  - The next season, Philly tanked again.   Likewise, Ainge, having missed out on the prized Embiid/Parker/Wiggins top tier, made every move necessary to set his team up for an even more aggressive tankjob.  Once again trading an all-star (Rondo) as well the team's best scorer (Jeff Green) for young role players and future draft assets.  Quintessential tank-job maneuvers.   Despite these strong tanking efforts, Ainge underestimated the powers of his young creative coach and the surprising effectiveness of the role players he had acquired.  Much to Ainge's chagrin (he repeatedly made pretty transparent comments that suggested he preferred bottoming out to making the playoffs with a losing record), the team went on a surprising run.  This effort was further boosted when Ainge found an opportunity to land an all-star caliber point guard for a lowly 1st rounder - thus Ainge jumped at the opportunity to snag Thomas in a no-brainer trade despite the fact it destroyed his tanking efforts.  This effort was even further boosted by the fact that the Eastern Conference was a complete joke and a team with losing record (Boston's 40 wins) was able to make the playoffs.   Boston was predictably swept in the first round of a mostly pointless playoff appearance, but it set up a transition that needed to be built upon.  The Net result:  Okafor for Philly.   Rozier for the Celtics, though had the team merely lost most of their games in the final week, they would have gotten Ainge's true prize - Justice Winslow.  He paid the price and reported was willing to upwards of 6 draft picks (including 4 first rounders) in a failed attempt to acquire Winslow on draft night.  Rozier spent his rookie season in the D-league, but has shown some encourage signs in Summer league - so perhaps that will work out. 

2015-16 - Philly likely would have made an honest effort to win games, but with Embiid's doctors encouraging a bone graft and Saric refusing to come to the States, they opted to make another tanking effort.  This was very transparent in their absolute refusal to sign veteran players and instead fill out the roster with D-Leaguers.   While this decision has been blasted by everyone I think it was a pretty obvious decision to make that I find completely defensible.   Boston, on the hand, pivoted towards trying to be as competitive as possible.   Net result:  Philly lands what is believed to be a transcendent talent in Ben Simmons (thus potentially vindicating their decision to tank for a 3rd year straight).   Boston builds on their previous playoff experience to a solid 48 win season and also-ran 1st round exit.   They take Yabusele with their draft pick and keep him over seas due to an inability to clear out their overabundance of young players and picks.   Also worth noting, Boston lands another major draft chip (Brown) they received from trading two all-stars in the 2013 Brooklyn heist.

So that catches you up to right now.   I have always been a strong supporter of Danny Ainge.  As far as I'm concerned, he's the best GM in the league.  I've never wavered from that.  At no point have I ever suggested Sam Hinkie was a better GM or that Philly's strategy was "better".  Fact is, their strategies were basically identical early on.  Boston had more to work with.   Ainge's trades net him contributors that helped the team be competitive.  He also expertly set the team up to be a major player in free agency - which paid off this year in the addition of Al Horford.   

It's important to note, though... that despite these teams being linked on this forum, Boston's success really has nothing to do with Philly's strategy.  And while Boston has undeniably built an intriguing team that is a superstar away from being a real contender, that does not at all negate what Philly has done thus far.   Boston projects to win 55+ games this season.  If they are able to land a star, they might be a real contender in the next two years.   

But do not be confused, Mike.  Just because Boston converted a 2008 title team into a 2015 playoff team does not mean Philly has "failed".   Philly hasn't won a championship since 1983.  Aside from the overrated Iverson teams, that squad has been an also-ran or lotto squad for decades.   

The part you struggle with, repeatedly, obnoxiously, and incessantly - is the pretty straight-forward concept that we can't really judge whether or not Philly's plan was successful until we get a chance to see how it plays out.  We've literally not seen the fruits of their labor on the court together.   Embiid, Saric and Simmons havent' played a professional NBA game yet.

You bring up Marcus Smart in some nonsense comment about how I gave up on his potential after 8 weeks/8 games.  That's hogwash.  We've seen two years of minimal development out of Smart.  He's been a disappointment considering where he was picked.  Despite this, I've repeatedly said I'm optimistic that he may make a leap in year 3.   I haven't given up on Smart.  It takes time.  If he has another disappointing season (meaning, he looks like a long-term defensive roleplayer as opposed to a future star), I'll lose confidence in him.  But you gotta give that kid at least 3 years and it's only been 2.   

Likewise, we can't make any kind of actual judgement on Philly for 3 years at the very minimum.   Let's see how Embiid, Saric and Simmons look in a few years.  That's what all the tanking was for.  Let's see if it works out.   Let's see if Okafor nets them something in a trade or if he develops into the all-star he still very well may become.   It's completely foolish to dismiss what they've done.   If your barometer for success is whether or not they managed to win 48 games and get swept in the first round,  yeah - they didn't do that in the past three years.   But for a team that has not been a real contender since the 1980s, continuing to dismiss the significant potential of their dramatic efforts over the past 3 of those 30+ years is pretty ignorant.   This is a Superstar's league.  They went went all-in for superstars via the draft.  In 3-5 years, we'll see if it succeeded.  Meanwhile, Boston is also going all-in for superstars and has thus fair failed to acquire one.    They are both heading towards the same goal.  And I get why a Celtic fan would get defensive when it's suggested Philly might have beat them to the punch 3x over, but we'll just have to wait and see to find out whether or not that's even the case.   As you said, it took until Ainge's 5th year until he succeeded into turning a team (that had two all-stars when he inherited it) into a contender.  On Ainge's 4th year, the team was in the bottom 5.  Welp, Philly just finished up the 3rd year of their plan and they may have succeeded in landing multiple superstars ... "80% of the rebuild" as you'd put it.

I'll tell you this, though.  I watched like 30 seconds of practice footage today and Embiid looked like garbage.  And while Simmons showed undeniably impressive signs in Summer League, there's still a chance he busts.   Just gotta wait to see if it works out for them.   My opinion of the Boston vs Philly tank job efforts changed two years ago when Boston pivoted towards a free agency goal.  I've been very strongly supporting the efforts Ainge has made and genuinely love everything the Celtics are doing here.   I'm allowed to say that and at the same time defend Philly's efforts.   You and Eddie can bellyache all you want about how defending Philly makes me a 76er fan/Celtic hater, but I assure you it's possible for a Celtic fan to have a rational opinion about other teams.  Bottom line is that there's a lot of irrelevant teams in this league that will never threaten for a championship.  The amount of teams that actually have won titles over the past 30+ years is small and always includes a Superstar.  Philly took a dramatic approach to try and be one of the teams that matters.  Whether you want to admit it or not, I'm right in that it's going to take a lot of time to see if Philly succeeded.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:08:36 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #247 on: September 28, 2016, 11:22:06 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'd like to officially accuse walker834 of taking post-enhancing supplements.   I'd like to formally challenge him to a type-off:  http://www.typingtest.com/

Lol. Pure gold, can't believe it was overlooked. Count me in as primary investigator of cognitive and/or neural advantages associated with what appears to be a clear-cut case of PED abuse.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #248 on: September 28, 2016, 11:25:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'd like to officially accuse walker834 of taking post-enhancing supplements.   I'd like to formally challenge him to a type-off:  http://www.typingtest.com/

Lol. Pure gold, can't believe it was overlooked. Count me in as primary investigator of cognitive and/or neural advantages associated with what appears to be a clear-cut case of PED abuse.
i posted my type-off results.  Still waiting for walker834 to share his.

« Reply #249 on: September 28, 2016, 11:27:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

While he is an upstanding guy (otherwise), I doubt he posts these results. Plenty of lawyers around here to have them subpoenaed, however.  Innocent or guilty, I look forward to finally uncovering the truth.

« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2016, 11:37:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

While he is an upstanding guy (otherwise), I doubt he posts these results. Plenty of lawyers around here to have them subpoenaed, however.  Innocent or guilty, I look forward to finally uncovering the truth.
If he has nothing to hide, he'll release the typing test results.  There's clearly something on those typing test results that he doesn't like. 

« Reply #251 on: September 29, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

If he has nothing to hide, he'll release the typing test results.  There's clearly something on those typing test results that he doesn't like.

Well, typing faster than Usain Bolt runs has to raise some eyebrows..

« Reply #252 on: September 29, 2016, 04:29:23 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I was going to do it but was tired from all the typing lol.  Maybe I will. I do type fast.  I went to school  for computer science and have used computers since i was super young so I just type like I'm not even thinking about it.  Sry if I acosted anyone lol.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:40:18 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2016, 06:18:09 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
  So I appreciate we're myth-building the Brd33 aura and all, but I really think we should focus on the 76ers in this thread and less on what what I may or may not have said in the past about the Brooklyn Nets.   

There is no myth. You're clinically insane.

Case solved.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2016, 09:01:37 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Geez, this thread has completely fallen off the track lol.