Author Topic: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."  (Read 38588 times)

Re: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2016, 03:55:13 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Noel is 22 years old and has been in a bad situation and is that kind of player in ways where he could become an allstar.

Top 3 pick in the '17 draft will most likely be a 19 year old who could very well be an all-star AND will be cost controlled for the foreseeable future.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2016, 04:01:55 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
just look at how we draft and the players we have here.  Isaiah thomas, Crowder, Brown, Smart, Bradley, KO, Horford etc.   These guys weren't first on anyones list but we are climbing up the standings pretty fast.  I really liked brown.  I even made arguments for him over other players.  He will have a year under his belt.  just because people say so I dont know. I look around the league and Noel is pretty good. I dont care overly that he hasnt been an allstar yet.  Put him in a good situation and that could change. That's basically what we've been building here anyways.

Isaiah was a late pick that was undervalued and we got him for a late pick.  NOel is a high pick that is being valued about that and that's what he is.  He still could  be an alstar just like Isaiah and Horford.

He's possibly available for the right price.  He isn't going to disrupt what we've been building here.

I wouldnt have traded our pick for him this year either. I liked Brown and said that at the time actually.

Next year is far off but I dont have the same feeling there. It's a pg loaded draft with giles.  It helps philly more than us.

« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2016, 04:07:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
As most know I would love to have Noel or Okafor on Boston, but there is no where I trade the 2017 pick for either one of those guys.  None at all.  I might be persuaded to trade the 2018 BKN pick, though, depending on what the rest of the trade looked like.  For example, I would strongly consider something like Noel and Covington for Rozier, Jerekbo, and 2018 Nets. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I've explained. Now you go.  please explain to me why besides just next years pick has this hidden super amazing value to it over a legit young shotblocker that has a lot of upside. I'm willing to listen if we can do better.

All I've heard is it's a top pick and brooklyn could be really bad. Yep they could.  Still doesnt explain why that's  more valuable.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 04:17:37 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It's a mystery.... Vs getting possibly what we absolutely need.

I agree there could potentially be something better out there but what?

who's bluffing? Who's straight face is real and who isn't?

« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2016, 04:23:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've explained. Now you go.  please explain to me why besides just next years pick has this hidden super amazing value to it over a legit young shotblocker that has a lot of upside. I'm willing to listen if we can do better.

All I've heard is it's a top pick and brooklyn could be really bad. Yep they could.  Still doesnt explain why that's  more valuable.

1) Cost
2) Historical "hit" rate of a top 3 draft pick
3) Beloved "upside" on aforementioned top 3 pick is probably going to be higher on BKN '17 than Noel for those hung up on upside. 
4) Don't need to trade additional assets to acquire BKN '17 v. trading for Noel.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Still doesnt explain why that's  more valuable.

Noel could be Tyson Chandler/skinny DeAndre Jordan.  The pick could be Lebron/Durant/Anthony Davis/etc.

Now, the pick could also be a bust but Noel could also be Marcus Camby without a jump shot.

Mike

« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2016, 04:30:26 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Probably why it hasn't been made yet.  We are waiting until we have a better idea of what we are looking at and so are they.

I don't think there is any rush.  But just looking at next years draft there could be a player that really jumps up that list but it's not there yet.

« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2016, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I've explained. Now you go.  please explain to me why besides just next years pick has this hidden super amazing value to it over a legit shotblocker that has a lot of upside. I'm willing to listen if we can do better.

It's got nothing to do with Noel.   

You are grossly undervaluing the 17' pick.   Its THE most valuable (non-player) trade asset on the market right now. Having a deep roster doesn't change this picks value to the rest of the league.    It's the same argument Philly makes.   Just because they have 3 legit bigs doesn't mean they value each a bit less.   

Just like BC feels he wants full value for his bigs --- we should feel the same about this pick it shouldn't be squandered.   Now, if Noel is your 1a target, like the very top guy in your to-get list, then perhaps it makes sense to part with the leagues most valuable asset for him.  But if he's not, then it's a mistake.   Wouldn't you be miffed if all the sudden Cousins ends up on the block after we trade our best asset for Noel?   Or if Durant demands a trade after a rough start? 

Noel, to me, isn't going to get us passed GS or Cleveland this year or next.   
So, I'm not helping Philly pass us in the rebuild process; not when we're already a leg up with more options.  While Noel is good, and would fit in-- trading THAT pick would be a waste. 

« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I've explained. Now you go.  please explain to me why besides just next years pick has this hidden super amazing value to it over a legit shotblocker that has a lot of upside. I'm willing to listen if we can do better.

You are grossly undervaluing the 17' pick.   Its THE most valuable (non-player) trade asset on the market right now. Having a deep roster doesn't change this picks value to the rest of the league.    It's the same argument Philly makes.   Just because they have 3 legit bigs doesn't mean they value each a bit less.   

Just like BC feels he wants full value for his bigs --- we should feel the same about this pick it shouldn't be squandered.   Now, if Noel is your 1a target, like the very top guy in your to-get list, then perhaps it makes sense to part with the leagues most valuable asset for him.  But if he's not, then it's a mistake.   Wouldn't you be miffed if all the sudden Cousins ends up on the block after we trade our best asset for Noel?   Or if Durant demands a trade after a rough start? 

So, I'm not helping Philly pass us in the rebuild process; not when we're already a leg up with more options.  While Noel is good, and would fit in-- trading THAT pick would be a waste.

I agree with this.  I don't want to sell ourselves short either.  But Noel is pretty good. It would be a shame if he turns out and next years draft is a bust.  The same thing happens where they pass us.  It's somewhat complicated that way.

there are always other options, but we are at that point where it's getting a bit complicated. These picks the next 2 years they dont turn into something and we pass on a guy like noel it could bite us just the same.

I agree there is some question with Noel.  I said that myself and that that's the kicker is selling ourselves short.  It's a tough one in ways that way.

« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2016, 04:34:29 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Noel sucks....keep him away from this team.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Noel sucks....keep him away from this team.

Well this is the question. I'm not huge on Noel. I like him but that's really the question is how good is he. 

I dont think he is bill russell.

« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2016, 04:41:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think noel could be an allstar.  Harry Giles is either kobe bryant at pf or is going to have issues.  Dennis Smith seems like the consensus #1 p ick next year right now and most solid bet.  He's a pg.

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2016, 04:44:17 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
As fans, Noel looks appealing, but the C's almost certainly have a lot of info we don't.

The guy is on a very precarious edge. He tips forward and improves his offensive skills some, and he's a really valuable guy. He stays roughly as good as he is now, and we will want to let him go when his rookie deal is over, because he won't be worth mega-money, and he will be able to get mega money from somebody.

My guess is this boils down to judgements on character issues, work habits, capacity to learn, and what Stevens wants his centers/PF to be able to do. Maybe the C's don't see Horford as a good fit with him.

The 2017 pick might land an all-NBA player, and it might not. Ainge has to take those chances whenever he can, because the chances of a championship without a 1st team all NBA level player are quite slim. You can't average it out by saying it's only a chance. We only win by taking the chance and being a bit lucky.

« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2016, 04:45:32 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

I agree with this.  I don't want to sell ourselves short either.  But Noel is pretty good. It would be a shame if he turns out and next years draft is a bust.  The same thing happens where they pass us.  It's somewhat complicated that way.

there are always other options, but we are at that point where it's getting a bit complicated. These picks the next 2 years they dont turn into something and we pass on a guy like noel it could bite us just the same.

I agree there is some question with Noel.  I said that myself and that that's the kicker is selling ourselves short.  It's a tough one in ways that way.
Well, if Noel turns out that means Joel did not.    This is Noel's contract year and if there are still 3 centers by next summer there is zero chance he re-signs with Philly.

I'm struggling to see that scenario result in an uptick in wins for Philly.   They'll still be mismatched parts of frustrated players.   

For us though, if that pick is a bust we'll have lost nothing to find out, and we'll still be a 50 win team with philly's throat firmly underfoot.   

So who is bluffing?   It isn't Ainge.    That's for sure.   
His cards are on the table & very few plays can beat him at this point.   Gifting Philly a first overall pick though-- that's one of them!