Author Topic: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."  (Read 38663 times)

Re: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2016, 02:12:20 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
It's more whether they will even do it or we will and think he's worth it and they think what we are giving them is worth it.

I'm not 100 percent sure Noel is the guy but I like him.  And looking at the league he is a good bet.

I'd keep smart and the 18 pick though. Rozier and next years nets pick I do I think unless im missing someone in that draft that is more worth it to us..   I'm not overly seeing it. For Philly getting a shot at some of those guys probably is.

He has bird rights.  If we get him its going to be via trade or if there is a massive fallout  from philly next offseason where we outbid them and they dont match.

They could trade him elsewhere before then for all we know.

I'm 90 percent sure it's a good trade for both parties. That's good enough for  me.

That's looking at the big picture as best i can too taking everything into account.   I dont like trades usually and dont like shortchanging. I try to look at the big picture and hard to explain sometimes.  I could be missing something but I'm pretty sure.

Yes there is a totally different direction we could go and a better deal somewhere. I'm taking that into account though.  It's slim.

If he doesnt have bird rights it would have to be in the context that he would sign an extension.  I dont see why he wouldnt here.

80 percent sure.  85 percent.  It fluctuates because there are other players and ways we can go but  I think it's a good deal if it were to happen.

It's good for Philly too.  They get rozier and a shot at dennis smith.  I think it should happen.  If I were philly id make the trade too. Those are good trades.

In another circumstance I wouldnt be concerned about that and Im really not but its a good trade.  I think we should be doing what is best for us regardless.  The KG and Pierce deals were silly on the Nets part but does that mean we shouldnt do it? No.   It was their value at the time I guess.  We were at the end of an era and they were trying to put a superteam togehter and take a shot at it and it made sense i guess. I wouldnt have done what the nets did there but it made sense for us trying to unload pierce and kg and rebuild.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:33:53 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2016, 02:38:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I think the biggest bit of confusion people have about the Philly situation is thinking their big man log jam is purely a negative thing.   It's a problem, but it's a nice problem to have.  I wouldn't mind having three star prospect point guards, for instance.  We have one in Thomas.  Smart hopefully makes a leap into that territory this year.  Rozier is a big unknown but perhaps he gets there as well.  If all three were good, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

One difference is that Boston won more games last year than Philly did last year and the two previous years combined. 
That really doesn't have anything to do with it. 
Rozier isn't going to start complaining in the media about playing time because good guys on winning teams don't do that.
C'mon... that's really silly.  Rozier is irrelevant to the NBA.  He might have a future, but right now it would seem ridiculous for a D-League talent to be upset about his D-League role.  Especially considering he has multiple years left on his rookie deal for him to find the necessary minutes to showcase his talents for his next contract.

Noel, on the other hand, might be the best defensive center in the league and yet he projects to be a back-up on a team that is loaded with high quality big man prospects.  He's coming into free agency.  He has every right to be upset.  Most see him as the odd man out.   He's the one Philly keeps getting calls on.  Noel is just admitting what everyone can see with common sense.

Unfortunately, he's just going to have to suck it up and wait it out, because the best course of action for Philly remains to be waiting to see how their team plays and what kind of offers they receive later into the season.  If Embiid can't stay healthy, they'll be pretty glad they didn't rush to make a decision on Noel vs Okafor.

Colangelo himself basically sums it up on the Woj podcast:

Making the statement that something absolutely will be done is not necessarily the case.  I think what I said over the course of the summer is there's no doubt we've got three talented players.  It's a high class problem to have.  The unknowns are the health of the three players - in particular Joel.  It's kind of put us in a situation where we would listen, and entertain something if there was something that made sense, but I never felt compelled that we have to do something because some of it will work itself out naturally over the course of time. The notion that we were out shopping any of them and aggressively pushing to make a deal is not the case.  But we certainly listen.  A lot of people thought we were in a corner, and we never felt we were in that corner. 

Agreed.

« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
If i were philly im not sure i would have drafted 3 big men and simmons.  I like Noel so hard to say. I was hesitant with embiid with his injuries but long term its good i guess. I dont know honestly. I really liked embiid that draft when he was a lower rated prospect. When he rose up the draft board and had injury concerns I wouldnt have moved up for him i know that.  For Philly i guess it made sense. Long term that could really pay off for them. I also really like simmons and as far as value he was the first pick. Also really liked okafor and definately would have taken him at 3.  As the celtics i wanted them to try to get him.  I was fine with smart for us though the embiid draft. Smart was the guy I wanted. Brown i really liked too and was right for us this year.  It's weird how that works.

I like Noel too.  At pick 6 thats pretty good so if i were them I may have drafted all the guys if  i were them. I also would trade us noel for a shot at dennis smith and rozier because I really like rozier. like harry giles too.  josh jackson. It's difficult to say. Giles is so far off now. That will become more clear as the draft approaches.

If I'm us I'd trade for Noel.  So there you go. If I'm us and they're them and you are you and I'm me that's how I would do it.  lol.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 03:01:40 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2016, 03:01:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
What a silly thread this has become

« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2016, 03:11:02 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

I ramble too much on the internet.  I have no filter and easier said than done to write my full thought process. It's usually a lot.  In simple terms though it's a good trade to me. We could do much worse.  It's a trade that actually makes sense on a lot of levels.  DA and Colangelo may not even be discussing it for all we know. If it doesn't happen there are other options. I think it's a worthwhile trade though. 

He isn't a one year rental. The celtics dont make deals like that.  If we were to make the trade it would be long term.

It's different than Westbrook. There was a good chance he was a one year rental and it wasnt made because of that and other reasons too probably.  We will see if this happens.

It's difficult to know what people are really thinking anyways over the internet. I try to explain my full thought process and it's usually alot.  Plus just joking around and having fun.

« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I ramble too much on the internet.  I have no filter and easier said than done to write my full thought process. It's usually a lot.  In simple terms though it's a good trade to me. We could do much worse.  It's a trade that actually makes sense on a lot of levels.  DA and Colangelo may not even be discussing it for all we know. If it doesn't happen there are other options. I think it's a worthwhile trade though. 

He isn't a one year rental. The celtics dont make deals like that.  If we were to make the trade it would be long term.

It's different than Westbrook. There was a good chance he was a one year rental and it wasnt made because of that and other reasons too probably.  We will see if this happens.

It's difficult to know what people are really thinking anyways over the internet. I try to explain my full thought process and it's usually alot.  Plus just joking around and having fun.

Answer this for me. It was widely reported the 76ers could not get a top 6 pick for Okafor or Noel at last years draft. Why in the world would Danny trade a top 3 and possibly the top pick overall a year later when the guys salary jumps up and he has lowered his trade value by demanding a trade?

« Reply #126 on: September 27, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

Answer this for me. It was widely reported the 76ers could not get a top 6 pick for Okafor or Noel at last years draft. Why in the world would Danny trade a top 3 and possibly the top pick overall a year later when the guys salary jumps up and he has lowered his trade value by demanding a trade?

this years draft was better for us. I think we really liked brown.  Our focus that draft was really on the draft and scouting players and there were players we really liked.  If we go into next years we'll probably do the same but each draft is different.

I don't think next years draft is as big for us.  This years was really big imo. Every draft is big and we will scout it but I think our pick at 3 was valuable to us this year.

They may have traded us Noel for Kris Dunn. We wanted to take brown though and not dunn. Next year we may trade them a guy like smith for Noel.

They could make out better in ways. So could we.

« Reply #127 on: September 27, 2016, 03:33:23 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
We got our wing to develop in brown this year.  He was the guy we liked.  josh jackson not so much.  They liked kris dunn.  Brown will have a year under his belt by next year too.  I'm basically offering them rozier and a shot at someone next year.  It's not necessarily more value.  I think that's a misnomer.  It could be for them.  They wanted Kris Dunn though.  The issue is we wanted to take jaylen brown and not do that.

« Reply #128 on: September 27, 2016, 03:33:46 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

this years draft was better for us. I think we really liked brown.  Our focus that draft was really on the draft and scouting players and there were players we really liked.  If we go into next years we'll probably do the same but each draft is different.

I don't think next years draft is as big for us.  This years was really big imo. Every draft is big and we will scout it but I think our pick at 3 was valuable to us this year.

They may have traded us Noel for Kris Dunn. We wanted to take brown though and not dunn. Next year we may trade them a guy like smith for Noel.

They could make out better in ways. So could we.
you realize Vegas lines makers (not celtics fans) project the nets to have the worst record in the league by a comfortable margin. How can you with a straight face suggest trading a potential number 1 pick for Noel? He is a nice player, but nobody projects him as a perennial all-star at this point.

Edit: I'll add that I completely seriously believe if ainge traded that pick right now for Noel he would really risk his job security. It would be the worst trade the celtics have made in at least the last 25 years

« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
They wanted kris dunn. I'm offering rozier and a shot at someone next year.  We took Brown this year. It isnt necessarily more value. Brown will have a year under his belt and NOel will have 3.  His vale is also low because of his situation.  Isaiah and Crowder were that too.  Noel is a top 6 pick though and has more value than those guys when we traded for them.  I'm just looking at his talent level.  I think you underrate him. He's in a bad situation.

We got Isaiah for a late first but totally different. He wasn't a high draft pick. He was in a bad situation in Sac and Ainge saw this and Sac undervalued him.  Noel was a top 6 pick and Philly isn't doing that here. 

« Reply #130 on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
They wanted kris dunn. I'm offering rozier and a shot at someone next year.  We took Brown this year. It isnt necessarily more value. Brown will have a year under his belt and NOel will have 3.  His vale is also low because of his situation.  Isaiah and Crowder were that too.  Noel is a top 6 pick though and has more value than those guys when we traded for them.  I'm just looking at his talent level.  I think you underrate him. He's in a bad situation.

We got Isaiah for a late first but totally different. He wasn't a high draft pick. He was in a bad situation in Sac and Ainge saw this and Sac undervalued him.  Noel was a top 6 pick and Philly isn't doing that here.

I don't really know what to tell you. The nets pick would not be traded for anything less than a perennial all-star. Think part of a package for cousins, Blake griffin, Durant, Antonio Davis, perhaps an outside chance of butler. Trading for Noel is just not in the ballpark value wise. This isn't just my opinion either. You just don't trade a pick that could be number 1 for a non all star talent. Remember the Gerald Wallace for Damian lillard trade?

« Reply #131 on: September 27, 2016, 03:44:53 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Well if Sac is going to trade us Boogie then great but even he has questions.  Ainge himself has said he isn't sure about cousins because he doesnt want to disrupt chemistry. Noel doesn't do that.

How many teams are going to trade us a perennial allstar for a top pick? Noel is possibly available because he is in a bad situation and is 22 years old.

Do we want Kevin Love?  I dont know if he's the guy.  Is he even available or the guy we want?  How many teams are stepping up to trade perennial allstars that we'd even want?

Kevin Garnett is retired.

« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:05 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Noel is 22 years old and has been in a bad situation and is that kind of player in ways where he could become an allstar.

« Reply #133 on: September 27, 2016, 03:49:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Well if Sac is going to trade us Boogie then great but even he has questions.  Ainge himself has said he isn't sure about cousins because he doesnt want to disrupt chemistry. Noel doesn't do that.

How many teams are going to trade us a perennial allstar for a top pick? Noel is possibly available because he is in a bad situation and is 22 years old.

Do we want Kevin Love?  I dont know if he's the guy.  Is he even available or the guy we want?  How many teams are stepping up to trade perennial allstars that we'd even want?

Kevin Garnett is retired.

If you go look at the 76ers board even their fans acknowledge we would not trade them that nets pick for these guys. The fact that homer fans don't even dream that should give you an idea of the value difference here

« Reply #134 on: September 27, 2016, 03:53:42 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Well I'm saying differently.  Philly isn't going to trade him for late picks and rozier. If a deal is made there has to be some wiggle room.  We took brown this year. I think that lowers next years pick value to us in ways.  It's a pg loaded draft too.  It's not a big man draft.  There's giles.

18 is a more loaded big man draft and its basically 2 guys that aren't necessarily better than noel.

I explained in detail what I think anyways. Im more concerned with the reality of what is in the league and the reality of it vs what players supposed value or what fans think a players value is.