Author Topic: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."  (Read 38429 times)

Re: Noel on Sixers having three centers: "It doesn't make any sense."
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 01:31:06 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Who is our future big man to go with horford?    Cousins and DAvis can go elsewhere. I kind of want Noel.  Over Embiid and Okafor as well although Okafor is nice but similar to Horford.  Are we waiting on Anthony Davis?

Davis is worth that I think but even that depends.  There are some good big men this draft too.

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
He sounds annoyed.  He clearly wants out.  Tough situation for him... He's one of the best defensive prospects in the league.  He has the potential to anchor a team's defense.  And yet he's stuck in a situation where he might be the third string center on a team that should still be in the lotto next season.  You can't blame him for being salty.  Especially if it cuts into his minutes and impacts his free agency options next summer.   He wants minutes so he can get paid.

TP. That's what many of us have been saying this whole time, though I think they ultimately like Noel more than Okafor and would give him more minutes than Okafor. However, it looks like Noel is going to force their hand to trade him over Okafor anyways with all of this talk.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 01:35:52 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Who is our future big man to go with horford?    Cousins and DAvis can go elsewhere. I kind of want Noel.  Over Embiid and Okafor as well although Okafor is nice but similar to Horford.  Are we waiting on Anthony Davis?
i hear the next draft is top-loaded with high quality point guards.   There was an article recently on ESPN calling it one of the best point guard drafts ever.   

On one hand, that could put Boston in a weird position if smart finally breaks out and Rozier shows ability.   We will be desperate to make a trade if the best option with the Brooklyn pick is a point guard.   

That said, I wouldn't be shocked to see Philly in the playoffs next season but they most likely will suck again... If this draft is as loaded with point guards as everyone says, they are prob just better off doing nothing this season, feeding guys sporadic showcase minutes, and dealing with it later. 

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 01:37:59 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Giles, Rabb, Isaac, Deandre Ayton, Mamba. Those are the top rated big men the next couple drafts although there is probably someone missing.    Davis, Cousins, etc. We are going to get one.  One of those guys is better than Noel maybe.  Ayton looks ridiculous bt could be an overhyped bust for all I know right now.  I'm not that impressed.   I kind of like Noel.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2016, 01:39:39 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
He sounds annoyed.  He clearly wants out.  Tough situation for him... He's one of the best defensive prospects in the league.  He has the potential to anchor a team's defense.  And yet he's stuck in a situation where he might be the third string center on a team that should still be in the lotto next season.  You can't blame him for being salty.  Especially if it cuts into his minutes and impacts his free agency options next summer.   He wants minutes so he can get paid.

TP. That's what many of us have been saying this whole time, though I think they ultimately like Noel more than Okafor and would give him more minutes than Okafor. However, it looks like Noel is going to force their hand to trade him over Okafor anyways with all of this talk.
I don't blame Noel for being frustrated but that doesn't mean Philly "needs" to make a trade. They will almost certainly move someone when the time is right, but there is no gun to their head forcing them to take pennies on the dollar right now.  Despite how frustrated Noel is, it's probably still best for Philly to wait and see how things shake out.  If the offers are weak, they should just hang onto the guys - regardless of how salty Noel is.  That's what a lot of fans fail to understand when they come up with their silly lopsided trade offers.   15 mins out of Noel off the bench is better than trading him for a late 1st or a d-leaguer who will get 15 mins off the bench.

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2016, 01:41:25 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
If we traded for Noel mid season would we get his bird rights?

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I don't blame Noel for being frustrated but that doesn't mean Philly "needs" to make a trade. They will almost certainly move someone when the time is right, but there is no gun to their head forcing them to take pennies on the dollar right now.  Despite how frustrated Noel is, it's probably still best for Philly to wait and see how things shake out.  If the offers are weak, they should just hang onto the guys - regardless of how salty Noel is.  That's what a lot of fans fail to understand when they come up with their silly lopsided trade offers.   15 mins out of Noel off the bench is better than trading him for a late 1st or a d-leaguer who will get 15 mins off the bench.

Disagree. Not only does this pretty much screw Philly with agents, who will not appreciate them screwing over Noel in a contract year, but it's obviously just going to decrease his trade value even more by (a) him barely playing and (b) being a locker room disturbance.

You can say they should hold out for a better option, but with the way things are going, it doesn't make any sense that the offers would go help with him hardly playing, having less time left on his contract, and him becoming a locker room issue.

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2016, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I would trade the nets pick and rozier possibly for a guy like noel I think.  It depends if there is a player we want the next couple drafts.  I think we got that guy in brown tihs year though.  I think josh jackson and guys like that is redundant. Giles is real good but has some issues how he would fit here although probably ok.  Getting a shot blocker like noel though.  That's pretty good.  Isn't that what we need?  There are other options but I dont see any big men or players im jumping at over him.

We drafted jackson.  Rozier is somewhat expendable although i like him a lot.  We have amir and zeller locked up to make a trade or just keep them for depth as big men until their contracts expire and we bring over yabusele and zizic. 

I don't see why we need all these picks.  We are missing a superstar wing but we drafted brown.  We have plenty o f guards. Isaiah is the guy and marcus is better than rozier for the future.  Jackson can take his place as depth.

We want some insurance if an injury happens to one of our guys but I would trade one of nets picks as well as others and Rozier for him.  We have cap room too.   We are going to have to sign all these guys and keep them though once we have our team here and some flexibility to keep growing.

Noel is pretty sick.   Seems like a smart guy who knows what makes sense too.  Unless we are waiting on Anthony Davis or one of these other big men, but I honestly think there is some overhype there with him.

He's just coming into his own unless there's some injury concern there.  He has weird knees and kind of skinny which scare me a bit. his legs are pretty skinny in general but huge dude otherwise.  He isn't Embiid huge but I like Noel for his quickness. He's like a super version of Amir.

Bill Russell lite.   Not the passer or leader but team player and really good. Plus he's from Massachusetts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:05:14 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I would trade the nets pick and rozier possibly for a guy like noel I think.  It depends if there is a player we want the next couple drafts.  I think we got that guy in brown tihs year though.  I think josh jackson and guys like that is redundant. Giles is real good but has some issues how he would fit here although probably ok.  Getting a shot blocker like noel though.  That's pretty good.  Isn't that what we need?  There are other options but I dont see any big men or players im jumping at over him.

We drafted jackson.  Rozier is somewhat expendable although i like him a lot.  We have amir and zeller locked up to make a trade or just keep them for depth as big men until their contracts expire and we bring over yabusele and zizic. 

I don't see why we need all these picks.  We are missing a superstar wing but we drafted brown.  We have plenty o f guards. Isaiah is the guy and marcus is better than rozier for the future.  Jackson can take his place as depth.

We want some insurance if an injury happens to one of our guys but I would trade one of nets picks as well as others and Rozier for him.  We have cap room too.   We are going to have to sign all these guys and keep them though once we have our team here and some flexibility to keep growing.

Noel is pretty sick.   Seems like a smart guy who knows what makes sense too.  Unless we are waiting on Anthony Davis or one of these other big men, but I honestly think there is some overhype there with him.

He's just coming into his own unless there's some injury concern there.  He has weird knees and kind of skinny which scare me a bit. his legs are pretty skinny in general but huge dude otherwise.  He isn't Embiid huge but I like Noel for his quickness. He's like a super version of Amir.

Bill Russell lite.   Not the passer or leader but team player and really good. Plus he's from Massachusetts.

The nets pick is projected to be the top pick in the draft. It would be pretty shocking if it fell outside the top 4 barring some crazy things happening this season. Noel's value is not even in the ballpark of that pick and Ainge would probably be immediately fired if he somehow made the trade. I doubt we would trade that pick for Noel AND Okafor.

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
He was the 6th pick 3 years ago and is starting to come into his own.  I agree something missing there though. We are overselling a bit.  I'm just looking at other players and big men coming out though and possibilities.  He seems to fit.

Noel is a player I like. I think he would be really good here, but there's something missing there.

Noel is underrated and Philly doesn't know what they are doing with him?  As it looks it seems like we are overselling.  I agree.

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 02:19:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Disagree. Not only does this pretty much screw Philly with agents, who will not appreciate them screwing over Noel in a contract year, but it's obviously just going to decrease his trade value even more by (a) him barely playing and (b) being a locker room disturbance.

You can say they should hold out for a better option, but with the way things are going, it doesn't make any sense that the offers would go help with him hardly playing, having less time left on his contract, and him becoming a locker room issue.
You are assuming he barely plays, which I find highly unlikely.  I mean Philly has already gone on the record saying Embiid will not play back to backs and will be on a heavy minutes restriction (that is if he even manages to stay healthy all year).  I'm guessing Noel will play at least 24 minutes a night and would probably guess it more in the 30 minute range. 

Him being a lockerroom disturbance is on him and will only hurt his free agent value.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2016, 02:26:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

You are assuming he barely plays, which I find highly unlikely.  I mean Philly has already gone on the record saying Embiid will not play back to backs and will be on a heavy minutes restriction (that is if he even manages to stay healthy all year).  I'm guessing Noel will play at least 24 minutes a night and would probably guess it more in the 30 minute range. 

Him being a lockerroom disturbance is on him and will only hurt his free agent value.
Where are these minutes coming from? Is Okafor not playing? There won't be any minutes at PF for him because of Simmons and you can't even bump Simmons to SF (which would be a bad idea anyway) because Saric is there. And Saric should really be playing some minutes at PF himself.

Noel is fighting 2 other guys who can only play center for 48 minutes a night.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2016, 02:31:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Where are these minutes coming from? Is Okafor not playing? There won't be any minutes at PF for him because of Simmons and you can't even bump Simmons to SF (which would be a bad idea anyway) because Saric is there. And Saric should really be playing some minutes at PF himself.

I agree. Do people think Noel is just an idiot? Is his assessment of the situation way off? He said they have 3 centers and we would assume he has a better idea of what is happening there being he has regular contact with the coaching staff. How can anyone seriously not see him calling the roster make up silly troubling for Philly? At this point acting like Philly doesn't have a roster situation that needs to be resolved soon is kind of like....

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2016, 02:33:46 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Harry Giles is the guy we are taking next year most likely if we dont trade it or we are taking another guard. or Josh jackson.  Or we are trading the pick for who?  Dennis Smith is coming here and we are trading Isaiah? Danny is the master at making sense of all this stuff.  how much better of a prospect do you think Giles is over Noel? He's obviously more offensively skilled.  People were hyping up Ingram and Simmons though too and we got Brown.

jonathon isaac is a super skinny long wing who can shoot. Could go well with Brown but again why?

I'm really not on next years draft train yet.  Some good players and athletic guys and scorers but not really what we need.

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2016, 02:37:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

2 of those 3 guys will play a fair amount of time at PF.  Simmons will play a lot at SF. 

There are 7,872 minutes available from the PF and C position.  I'd guess the end minutes are something like this:

Noel - 2300 - 75 games - 31 minutes
Okafor - 2300 - 75 games - 31 minutes
Embiid - 1440 - 60 games - 24 minutes
Simmons - 1600 (rest of time at SF) - 77 games - 21 minutes

and that still leaves 232 minutes
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip