Author Topic: Will GS be that much better?  (Read 3575 times)

Will GS be that much better?
« on: September 26, 2016, 10:04:07 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I'm not sure I  buy it.  Durant and Curry are going to be the two main  guys now.  With Thompson as the 3rd wheel and Draymond is now a glue guy like we have here in Crowder. Obviously it's an upgrade over what Barnes and Draymond may have done otherwise with increased roles scoring but how much?  It also hurts their defense. Durant is long but is not a great defender.  He's also not a huge upgrade as an additional 3 pt shooter to what draymond or Barnes brought.  Where he's going to excel is getting free underneath as Klay and Curry still do their thing.  I think they will be better but you can gameplan for that kind of stuff.  This is where the Celtics excel with Stevns where you can slow certain guys down.    If Durant doesn't get his it seems like Curry and  Klay are it.  Green isn't going to be able to make the same impact and they are missing other pieces. Durant also doesn't do the other things he does.  He's primarily a scorer so if you can slow part of their big 3 and contain the other 2 I don't think it's a huge difference.

I expect a lot of pushing off from Durant this year trying to get free as a cutter as Curry and Klay do their thing.  If you can stop Durant from doing that and contain Curry and Klay they can be beat.

It's still a talent league and about Elite players but with the guys we have we are real close I feel.  We are missing a guy like that ourselves in ways but we have a good big man.  We have physical and versatile wings who can really muscle them. We have  a scorer in Isaiah.  Bradley's health and Crowders will play a role.

It will depend how fast Brown gets up to speed, but Marcus is going to play a role too.  We have really physical guards to give them headaches and Crowder too if we watch Durant trying to get loose and stay with their shooters. 

GS is about pace where they lull you to sleep then turn it up and they run a lot of crazy plays to get shooters free but we have an assortment of guys to stay with them if we pace the game ourselves and muscle them with our wings.  They have length over some of shooters but if we take smart shots and use our muscle.  Pick and roll and find guys like KO and Horford.  GEt Isaiah going and keep the pressure on them. They like to lull you to sleep where you can't pace the game then turn it up with their shooting.

Durant is going to be pushing off a lot to get free going to the basket and coming off crazy screens for the shot. just be wary of that. Crowder is key but so are our guards that have to watch that.

Stevens watches a ton of tape and will know the plays they run and how they pace the game. We have the type of talent to give them problems.

Bradley is undersized but we get them out of position. He's going to be shooting over Klay but we get him free and get him going to the basket too.  Same with Marcus and jaylen.  KO can shoot over them. Horford can get free just the same as Durant and get inside.

We have the speed and assortment of guys to do it. They are tough.   Curry is really hard to stop. He shoots with a high arc. Klay has size as a shooter.

They are all pretty good at staying in front of their man on defense but don't wreak havoc like we do.

If you watch their games and how they play this is what they do. They will bomb you to death if you let them and don't play smart and play matchups the right way or understand their plays. Easier said than done obviously but Brad Stevens is pretty good.

You have to pace the game in a certain way and understand what they do and play matchups and not fall for taking bad shots. We slow Durant and keep their shooters in check it can be done. They are going to score.  It's like Bill Russell said it took him years to learn how to play Chamberlain and slow him enough. He's going to score.  We have the pieces to do that I feel.

Cleveland is going to give us problems for other reasons.  Same with other teams. I'm more worried about Cleveland because of their talent although they don't always play smart  but getting better. Lebron, Kyrie and Love are just as hard to stop.  It's basically Curry, Klay and Durant now with Green as that extra guy and guys like Livingston and Iggy who give them some length, muscle and offense. But we can counter that.

I feel like the health of Bradley and Crowder are going to be big for us yet again.  If they can stay healthy though.  They are kind of our Draymond and Barnes right now to go with Isaiah and horford plus we have guys like Smart and Brown and Green and all those guys.  Green is nice insurance for Bradley. KO can shoot too to go with Isaiah. We have Hunter. We have other shooters and Rozier.  We have depth now where a guy like Bradley or Crowder goes down we have jaylen and smart.   We are going to have wings to go with Isaiah.  Horford is big obviously. We lose him it's all over. We need another big man. Amir and KO are ok as role guys and Mickey. Yab isn't here yet. Mickey isn't going to do much but might. Zeller is added depth too.   We have so much depth.

They lose someone it affects them worse if not moreso than us.  Isaiah and Horford are big for us though. Draymond Green can step up for them but Iggy and Livingston aren't the depth we have.

we get our guys playing smart and finding the open man and taking smart shots it can be done. a 7 game series is tough but it's a war of attrition too.  They have to be able to combat us and if we are getting the ball inside and taking smart shots.

Brown is super athletic and physical. He might not be steph curry with his shooting but he can do some things against them. 

Isaiah gets to the line. so does Brown. So do a lot of our guys.  We can punish them that way. We have shooters and can play percentages.

We have so many guys that give different looks no reason why bradley should be shooting over Klay unless he's open.  Marcus can come in  He can wreak havoc.  Green gives us length and so does KO. Bradley can make smart drives and collapse the defense and Horford and KO will be open. Isaiah can really do his thing.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:51:41 AM by walker834 »

Re: Will GS be that much better?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
When or if Durant and Curry get hot enough to just hit pretty much any shot they take it might not matter what anybody does. However they may have lost some of the versatility in terms of screening, rim rolling, interior defense and such that Ezeli and Bogut brought to the table.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 10:53:34 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
What I fear the most is Durant being out in the open and pushing off like he does against Crowder. He's so fast that way you don't even see it. That's what he does though. He pushes off to create space in the open floor. He will cut and push off as well in the halfcourt get by his man. They also screen for him and run picket fence type stuff to get him long range shots.  Where they will screen at the top of the key.  You have to stay with them on defense and play matchups  on offense and keep the pressure on.  Get them out of position and muscle them and take smart shots.

They create space for their shooters. Durant does it in different ways but similar. He is a more off the ball guy for them I feel with Curry and Klay but will handle the ball too.

Green is an extra wheel now.  Iggy and Livingston will surprise some people.  I'm not overly worried about anyone else on that team yet.

Curry and Klay are good players and do alot of things. They get hot and it's all over. They do that a lot too. 

They aren't the most physical team in the world. Cleveland beat them because they had lebron. We can play physical too and we have Isaiah and Crowder as the pick and roll masters. Cleveland had Kyrie and Love and Lebron.  We are right there.  Love ranges out more than Horford but Horford has an in between game and KO can range out more. We don't have Lebron or Kyrie but we have an assortment. We have Isaiah who is right there if not a more polished player and smarter than Kyrie and an assortment of shooters and wing players who give us that same mix.  Much faster and peskier than Lebron to stay with shooters and we have size with jaylen and Crowder. And Smart who is super physical.

Green is going to be good for us too.  He gives us length and an extra shooter. I worry about him being able to stay with Klay though.  You have to stay with Klay.  Poetry. You also have to harass him and anticipate passes to him.   He will shoot right over you though and drive to the basket. Green for us will be a good offensive weapon to get open looks and drives but not sure on defense.  Bradley and Smart will do a better job staying in front of him and harassing him.  Curry just gets space and will shoot  those rainbows and also get in the lane and draw contact and hit shots and get rebounds as that little guy in the paint.  He's really good.  Green will be a good counter for Draymond possibly and can maybe give us some length against curry. It will be interesting how Brad utilizes him.  I can see Klay driving on Gerald already and just manhandling him going to the basket getting a step on him and the and 1.  It will happen this year.  It will be televised and Scal will be saying you really have to stay with him and a learning experience.  Move the ball from side to side.  Absolutely. Get Rozier in there. Cross court pass from Rozier finds Bradley or Crowder for 3 in the corner. Celtics win. Maybe they will be waiting for that and something else will happen.  Isaiah drives the lane and is found as the cutter.  Horford gets open at the elbow.  It's all about the situation and we might call something totally else.  We have so many pieces and options.  Marcus is clutch too.  He'll do something this year that is cobra like. I feel like Rozier and Marcus are somewhat redundant and do similar things but we have so much depth again where guys can step up.  Marcus could throw that pass just like Rozier or receive it as a cutter or hit a 3 to win a game or make a defensive play or drive the lane.  We have a lot of guys like that. Isaiah is the perfect little guy to play off all that too and just do his thing. Brown's his game is still coming but can out physical guys and power dunk over them. Might struggle with the in between stuff at first and shooting. But he's going to be a star.

I feel like Ainge has this all mapped out in ways. We have Yabusele and Zizic stashed where Jerebko and Zeller may be replaced.  We need another stud big man to go with Horford and we have all these picks.  I think Amir won't be here forever and we'll replace him and get another stud big man to go with Horford. I don't know what we are going to do with all these picks  but we are getting there.

Crowders role may change as Brown develops. And Bradley and Smart and Green and even Isaiah and rozier but the dynasty is pretty close to here.  We just have to get over that hump. I don't think teams are going to be able to deal with us as we get bigger and more physical and more talented.  There are other teams that are building and teams are changing but we are going to be right there for a long time.

A lot of hoopla about Durant going to GS and rightfully so but we are under the radar and just as improved if not moreso.  Our future is just as bright if not moreso.  The Knicks made some interesting moves too.  So did Indiana but I'm not really buying it yet on those teams.  There are a lot of interesting teams out there this coming year where the league is changing.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 12:39:47 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 12:39:54 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
It's going to be still Cleveland and GS.  Just listening to brad stevens talk about a special team to change the league and how it's still going to be predicated on star players.  I don't see that changing although another team might step into that and it might be us.  GS is  having heir Randy Moss moment and the pats went 16-0 and didn't win.  They are going to have Curry and all those guys.  SA is readjusting post Duncan and who knows what will happen there.  I think we will take their place. I see other teams making moves and changing and might get in the mix but not to our level.

The rising cap is interesting.  We have Amir and Zellers contracts to play with as wel as others and draft picks and are still going to have room to add a max player or draft someone.  There have to be players to add though.  Indiana added Jefferson and Teaque and got rid of other guys.  I don't see it.  San Antonio may make moves to go with Kawii and Aldridge.  Portland has room.  Sac is still building with Cousins.  It will be interesting what happens with Anthony Davis and Kevin love in cleveland.  And future players too in drafts.    The knicks got rose to go with Anthony and Porzingis and added Courtney Lee too.  Dallas made adjustments but Dirk is getting old.  Toronto has their guys and will make moves but lack certain things.  Teams like Utah seem caught but a lot of young talent. 

The Lakers are a mess but are going to spend money.  The Clippers aren't going anywhere seemingly unless they make a big move. 

Philadelphia all that young talent and they still aren't going to be very good.  The rest of the league is still pretty mediocre and just spinning their wheels.  The clippers don't have the pieces to make the big moves. 

We can basically match anyone and have room to add 2 more max players and have assets to do that.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:01:26 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
They won 73 last year, and one reputable media network pegs them at 66 this year, so there's that.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 01:06:55 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Jerry West better get used to losing to us again for a long time. I hope he doesn't read this though.  Cleveland is very good too but they are predicated on Lebron.  he's the michael jordan of this era but jordan didn't win when the celtics were in their prime.  I'm  a little cocky here and shouldnt be because we have alot of work to do and teams can make adjustments and block moves being made but  Ainge has us set up so good where GS is still being talked about as unbeatable.  We look like the most unbeatable team going forward. Maybe not this year but it may come sooner and that would be really bad for GS.

I don't think they have coaches or a GM like we do.  They are very good though. We are looking like a celtics team of old though with a lot of pieces and ready to pounce if the right situation occurs.

GS could get Cousins and be like West and Chamberlain all over again.  But again it's the same.  We get someone and it's the celtics of old vs Chamberlain all over again. Teams can try all they want but if we are smart they aren't going to be able to stop us from signing everyone.

They get Cousins.  We get Anthony Davis it pretty  much is that. I feel like DAvis is going to end up on the lakers but there are still other guys. It's going to be a battle for  big men.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 01:22:40 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
By better will they win the title this year? I'd say yes, record wise I say no.

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 06:41:10 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
the only way to be better is by 1 game to win the chip b/c regular season record from last season seems nearly impossible to break imo.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 06:42:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
the only way to be better is by 1 game to win the chip b/c regular season record from last season seems nearly impossible to break imo.

I still think Kerr not giving the guys more breaks down the stretch to chase that record is the reason they were so beat up by the time the finals rolled around. He let the players make that decision and the players aren't paid to make those decisions. Now the record almost serves as a mockery to them.

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 07:18:34 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Yes.  Let's be real here.  The league is now GSW..... and then the Cavs and Spurs......and then everyone else!  Cavs and Spurs should be able to hang somewhat with GS, but not enough to win a series.  Everyone else, including us, is toast.  Adam Silver let GS make  a mockery of NBA being competitive. Should have disallowed that move, not being in the best interests of the league and competition.  Major injuries could change things, but without that variable, it's not happening.
Will enjoy C's having a pretty good team again, but an EC or league title, I'm afraid, is pretty hopeless!

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 09:04:41 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

I still think Kerr not giving the guys more breaks down the stretch to chase that record is the reason they were so beat up by the time the finals rolled around. He let the players make that decision and the players aren't paid to make those decisions. Now the record almost serves as a mockery to them.

it was a lot of things but most of the better teams have SOMETHING that holds them back from the title, it's why people say the champ had the most luck (injuries mainly).
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 11:10:22 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I'm now scared

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2016, 11:19:36 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Yes.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 01:09:28 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'm now scared
you should be.  People are underrating them.

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 01:30:31 AM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
I'm now scared
you should be.  People are underrating them.

is anyone really underrating them? i think most people accept that its almost a foregone conclusion they win it all.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about