Author Topic: Are we retiring #5 ??  (Read 9631 times)

Are we retiring #5 ??
« on: September 24, 2016, 04:37:32 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I am a strong proponent of retiring Kevin Garnett's number 5 to the Garden rafters. Without KG, Pierce never gets a ring.

Not seen any mention of this in the KG retirement stories the past few days - I actually consider him the 4th most important Celtic in history because he was the backbone of his Celtic championship group just like, Russell, Bird and Cowens. He should have had two rings here, but I consider that Ainge's fault, not Garnett's.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: Are we retiring #5 ??
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 04:40:42 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
He was a great Celtic, and won a ring, but he doesn't fit the criteria for having his number retired here. Maybe if he'd gotten here 5 years earlier, but he didn't. He'll be a HOFer, and have his number retired in Minnesota, but Pierce is the only mamber if the Big 3 that'll get his number retired here
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 04:43:17 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
A poll would be nice here.

I say no. I love KG, but 6 seasons and a ring (while transforming the mentality of the franchise) doesn't warrant a jersey retirement. I know people will point me to other Celtic retired numbers who were less influential, but don't we also think KG belongs to Minnesota? I know he can be retired in both places, but it would just feel like we are stealing him from them, kinda.

Because, think about this. If we retire #5, then where do we draw the line? Does Allen get retired too? But then what about Rondo? His #9 is already being used by D-Jax.

I'm a proponent of retiring his name though. Like we did for LOSCY. Something like "KG" in the rafters would be pretty cool.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 04:50:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Of course we are. That's not a subject of discussion or indeed a poll. Did you forget the time when Garnett was back to the Garden and they shone the spotlight on the empty banner in the rafters?

Also, the Celtics don't have specific criteria. The Red Sox do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:09:01 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He was a great Celtic, and won a ring, but he doesn't fit the criteria for having his number retired here. Maybe if he'd gotten here 5 years earlier, but he didn't. He'll be a HOFer, and have his number retired in Minnesota, but Pierce is the only mamber if the Big 3 that'll get his number retired here
I agree this is the way it should be but there are a few Celtics with their numbers retired that I don't think deserve it so it wouldn't surprise me if #5 did win up getting retired.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 05:11:50 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
No ones touched it since he left. I think it's already essentially a done deal.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:23 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

well, no one has touched ray allen's 20 either, do you think its a done deal that we are retiring his number too?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

What's the criteria that he doesn't meet?

I think he obviously belongs up there.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 05:20:49 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

well, no one has touched ray allen's 20 either, do you think its a done deal that we are retiring his number too?

Yeah, but Wyc hasn't said that Ray's number is getting retired. ;)

http://nesn.com/2013/02/celtics-co-owner-wyc-grousbeck-cant-imagine-kevin-garnett-paul-pierce-not-having-numbers-retired/

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 05:23:23 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tALkk0Oinvg

1:50 from the start. The organization is retiring #5. There's no doubt at this point.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 05:33:41 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
What they should do is retire Pierce's number, and then do something different for Garnett where they transition off retiring numbers to just honoring players while keeping the numbers in circulation (like the Cowboys do)

So Pierce would be the last number retired, and then Garnett is the first person inducted into the Celtics' Shamrocks of Honor (or whatever they call it).

This would be the perfect way to end retiring numbers (which the C's really need to do) and move onto something else.  Perfect bookends with a special player in Pierce closing one chapter and a special player in Garnett starting a new one.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Kevin Garnett's number better be in the rafters.  Absolute legend.

But they already tipped this off long ago.  On the tribute video they even just left the shot on the rafters at the end.  He will be retired.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 05:49:24 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
No

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:53:20 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

What's the criteria that he doesn't meet?

I think he obviously belongs up there.

Time played for the Celtics. He played here for, what, 6 years? That's not nearly enough to get your number retired
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I'm conflicted on this one.

No doubt he was a great player, changed the culture in Boston, and was key in winning a title.

Then again, he won only one title, which is paltry relative to the Celtic greats, and the Celtics are already sometimes accused of retiring too many numbers (Maxwell?).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis