Author Topic: Are we retiring #5 ??  (Read 9644 times)

Re: Are we retiring #5 ??
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
How do you know it wasn't Ray that was responsible for the culture shift?
Perhaps we should ask the guys that were actually there at the time? Oh wait, someone already did...

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4695081/pierce-kg-changed-the-culture
I've already commented on that in this thread.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2016, 01:05:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No.  He spent most of his career with the Wolves. If he helped the Celts win 3 rings , maybe a min of 2,.maybe

Unfortunately this is the type of qualification to "fast track" to have a number retired

Paul Pierce will have his number retired, no question.   

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Perhaps we should ask the guys that were actually there at the time? Oh wait, someone already did...

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4695081/pierce-kg-changed-the-culture
Doesn't count because I wasn't poking fun at you :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I recall a number of reports of KG clashing with the younger players.  Now maybe that was KG trying to motivate, or maybe it was just KG being an ass.  He was a pretty big ass to pretty much everyone.  Great great player.  Super intense, but that intensity isn't always a positive.  I posted an article on here not too long ago about Pierce's favorite memory of KG.  KG basically hit a food plate out of the team doctors hands and said that food is for the players.  That was Pierce's favorite memory because that perfectly captures KG.

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2016, 02:10:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I recall a number of reports of KG clashing with the younger players.  Now maybe that was KG trying to motivate, or maybe it was just KG being an ass.  He was a pretty big ass to pretty much everyone.  Great great player.  Super intense, but that intensity isn't always a positive.  I posted an article on here not too long ago about Pierce's favorite memory of KG.  KG basically hit a food plate out of the team doctors hands and said that food is for the players.  That was Pierce's favorite memory because that perfectly captures KG.
Sure, and? My favorite memory of Pierce is when he showed up at a presser with a bandaged head, but this does nothing to his place in the pantheon of Celtics greats.

The question in this thread was are we retiring #5. The answer to this is well-documented, and it's an emphatic yes -- the current ownership intends to retire #5. If you want to run a discussion about whether he's deserving, that's a different story altogether.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2016, 02:27:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Sure, and? My favorite memory of Pierce is when he showed up at a presser with a bandaged head, but this does nothing to his place in the pantheon of Celtics greats.

The question in this thread was are we retiring #5. The answer to this is well-documented, and it's an emphatic yes -- the current ownership intends to retire #5. If you want to run a discussion about whether he's deserving, that's a different story altogether.
Well yeah, the discussion has morphed from are we to should we?  My first post in this thread was that Boston would but should not tying into the current discussion.

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Kg time with the wolfs might mean something to him and their fans sentimental and all...     but in terms of what counts in the minds of people reflecting decades from now , it will always be about KG and his true glory days with Boston.....that's the highlites that will be his hallmark insured his HOF 

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2016, 05:59:55 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I am a strong proponent of retiring Kevin Garnett's number 5 to the Garden rafters. Without KG, Pierce never gets a ring.

Not seen any mention of this in the KG retirement stories the past few days - I actually consider him the 4th most important Celtic in history because he was the backbone of his Celtic championship group just like, Russell, Bird and Cowens. He should have had two rings here, but I consider that Ainge's fault, not Garnett's.

I don't se Danny's fault for losing Game 7 in 2010 finals.

« Reply #83 on: September 29, 2016, 03:40:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
If KG ends up as a coach on the Cavs, would that change anyone's mind?

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/09/kevin_garnett_a_cavs_coach_tyr.html

« Reply #84 on: September 29, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I am a strong proponent of retiring Kevin Garnett's number 5 to the Garden rafters. Without KG, Pierce never gets a ring.

Not seen any mention of this in the KG retirement stories the past few days - I actually consider him the 4th most important Celtic in history because he was the backbone of his Celtic championship group just like, Russell, Bird and Cowens. He should have had two rings here, but I consider that Ainge's fault, not Garnett's.

I don't se Danny's fault for losing Game 7 in 2010 finals.

Right, Danny had no way of preventing KG's knee injury in 2009 either, nor could he have prevented Perk tearing up his knee in 2010.

Danny assembled a team that had the juice to go to the Finals three straight years, and perhaps win a title 2 or 3 times over that span.  Unfortunately, injury luck didn't work out in the Celts' favor.  I'm glad we got a title out of it.

KG is the best player that has been on the Celts roster since Bird retired.  As much as I love Pierce, I don't think his best season was as impactful as what KG did in 2007-2008 and in 2009 before his injury. 

Pierce and KG should both be in the rafters. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #85 on: September 29, 2016, 04:29:10 PM »

Offline bigal534

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 56
HELL YES WE ARE

« Reply #86 on: September 29, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968