Author Topic: A closer look at Jaylen Brown  (Read 3775 times)

A closer look at Jaylen Brown
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:05:40 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Watching anything I can get me eyes on with Brown, and especially with his high school games against Simmons and Thon Maker you can tell one area of his game is better than advertised.

That area is his Playmaking and passing ability. I know his assist to T/O ratio was not good in college, but I was not aware that he had nice skills driving and Dishing.

If you want to check then out I'll post the game highlights.

https://youtu.be/EoqsiE076J0

Re: A closer look at Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:07:32 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Jaylen vs Ben Simmons. You really can tell Jaylen is a bug alpha dog here. He beats Simmons.

https://youtu.be/GCUg0hcP4Xk

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:31 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
 By far the best Brown Highlight package.

https://youtu.be/cDS2mSLuMxI

Please list your underrated Brown quality, or what's your scouting observation.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 05:51:56 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I think his most underrated quality is probably the one that is most mentioned as his strength, his physical ability and size.  I think he is built like a superstar that is just raw and most of those guys turn into superstars.  Why I've always liked him when other players were getting rated higher. Most stuff has been mentioned but he has a good feel for the game and plays smart.  I think his feel for the game is excellent. He's just raw. He'll also be a good shooter the more he works at it.

I don't konw how to explain that some players get hyped for their physical ability and end up being duds in the nba where I don't really buy it.  Brown is not that. There are players this draft that probably are that.

Brown is a good basketball player and is just raw.  It's that head on his shoulders to go with it.

He's also very versatile and can play offense and defense and multiple positions.  He could even play pg if he wanted to as he develops. He has length but also has the quickness and vision to handle the ball.

I think that's his most underrated quality as well is there is not much he can't do. What is his weakness besides he's just raw?  Obviously shootinig but that will come.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:00:36 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
The underrated aspect of Jaylen's game is his ability to run the floor. His skills in transition are NBA-ready, which means he'll fit right into the Celtics' style of running the fast break.

Seriously, him and Gerald running the floor for dunks will make for some amazing highlights this year.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 12:45:11 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I was impressed with his quick feet and hands in summer league. He created a  lot of havoc with his long arms tipping balls, getting guys in uncomfortable positions and creating fast break opportunities.

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 12:59:52 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Jayden is better equipped for the speed, and physical play of the pro game, than he was for the slow down style of the college game.

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 02:52:18 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think his crossover is underrated, I saw it again in those highlights and I remember him using it in Summer League. I like how he uses it to create space and get his jump shot off.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 03:00:35 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Looks like he can get to the Basket and the Free Throw line....something we all hoped Smart could do.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 03:38:00 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
He just needs to improve his finishing at the rim. Sometimes in summer league he would just toss it up after he got fouled. He has to learn to work on finishing with contact.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 04:46:33 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2477
I think his most underrated quality is probably the one that is most mentioned as his strength, his physical ability and size.  I think he is built like a superstar that is just raw and most of those guys turn into superstars.  Why I've always liked him when other players were getting rated higher. Most stuff has been mentioned but he has a good feel for the game and plays smart.  I think his feel for the game is excellent. He's just raw. He'll also be a good shooter the more he works at it.

I don't konw how to explain that some players get hyped for their physical ability and end up being duds in the nba where I don't really buy it.  Brown is not that. There are players this draft that probably are that.

Brown is a good basketball player and is just raw.  It's that head on his shoulders to go with it.

He's also very versatile and can play offense and defense and multiple positions.  He could even play pg if he wanted to as he develops. He has length but also has the quickness and vision to handle the ball.

I think that's his most underrated quality as well is there is not much he can't do. What is his weakness besides he's just raw?  Obviously shootinig but that will come.

TP

I agree. He is very powerful - when you combine that with his speed, it gives him a very high ceiling. He has a near-perfect NBA body (IMO as close to Lebron-level as anyone in the league).

I thought it was weird that so many people hated the pick, and were then subsequently surprised by his handle, strength, and slashing ability. Those were clearly exceptional strengths, and are likely to translate.

The question is whether his court vision and jump shooting improve enough to reach his potential. Thankfully, that stuff often develops later on. You can teach shooting and ball movement - you can't teach size, athleticism, and strength.

And that's why he's such an exciting prospect, his flaws are all fixable.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736

Watching anything I can get me eyes on with Brown, and especially with his high school games against Simmons and Thon Maker you can tell one area of his game is better than advertised.

That area is his Playmaking and passing ability. I know his assist to T/O ratio was not good in college, but I was not aware that he had nice skills driving and Dishing.

If you want to check then out I'll post the game highlights.

https://youtu.be/EoqsiE076J0
This is what I was most impressed by watching highlights from summer league and even college. I kept reading that his handle wasn't great but I think it was just people looking at the Ast/TO ratio or that he doesn't do a lot of fancy stuff because every time I watch I'm impressed with his handle and his playmaking.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 05:40:42 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
We should have traded the #3 for Jahlil Okafor and pieces....or drafted Dunn and then waited for Okafor's value to go down even more.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 05:50:17 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Jaylen has a loose handle. He's not going to trip over himself like Bradley or Tony Allen but a good defenders will take the ball from him. I like the creativity he shows but he definitely needs to tighten up.

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 09:12:29 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
Jaylen has a loose handle. He's not going to trip over himself like Bradley or Tony Allen but a good defenders will take the ball from him. I like the creativity he shows but he definitely needs to tighten up.

It's pretty bad, his dribbling behind his back and cross-over is nowhere near  average. One of the biggest things he needs to work on.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.