Author Topic: Pickup basketball: would you be annoyed?  (Read 8242 times)

Re: Pickup basketball: would you be annoyed?
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 10:49:43 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
2 points is 2 points.

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 11:10:11 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Do you play ball for the adoration and recognition of others?

Did you congratulate your teammate for making a smart cut and getting open for a layup? Or for catching a pass he couldn't have been expecting?

I think you might be reading too much into this. It's a casual pickup game.  It sounds like a heck of a play, so let that be reward enough.

this

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This has never happened to me.

My teammates acknowledges everything. From your hustle play, to your box out, and these kind of plays gets us all pumped. Also, we call out each other for missed assignments, lazy play and lack of effort.

Would I be annoyed, though? Probably not. Your teammates may not be as expressive as mine. Just for ego purposes, I would want them to acknowledge me if I made a play like that, but at the same time, I really won't mind if they didn't.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 11:22:43 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
They might not know any better . One particular play not getting noticed wouldn't bother me in a pickup game. If I was a part of an organised team and not complimenting each other was the norm I'd probably wish to play on a different team though. Part of the fun is enjoying in other's success.

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 12:19:20 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I have been there. I think it is a combination of them not knowing how to play and maybe you didnt have a mustache and #33 on your back.  It always sucks when you don't recognition but at least you witnessed your own play and can appreciate that you did it.  You can add it to your mental rolidex of plays you have done. By them not acknowledging that play you will probably remember it more vividly when your old and not playing any more. Maybe try sticking to playing with tougher competition as they would definitely appreciate it more and making a play like that against them is more rewarding.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 12:48:08 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Appreciate the feedback fellas! This isn't the regular crew that I play with, and I think it's mainly a product of them not knowing the game that well. The crew that I usually play with absolutely would have acknowledged it, as we typically praise each other for all good plays. It's fun to play with a team where everyone takes joy in the good plays that others make, and that's what I'm used to, so this stood out for that reason. Didn't ruin my day or anything, but just wanted to see what you guys thought. Still had a blast playing a game I love, getting some exercise and helping our team win. 

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 03:40:06 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Scoring the assist and bucket ought to be enough and of course winning.  Goos players make good plays all the time and do not expect a pat on the back.   Here, I grant thee a participation award!

Your going to have a sad life, my friend,  if you constantly seek gratification and approval through others.
Didn't really sound to me that he was saying that he constantly seeks gratification and approval from others.

When i hold a door open for someone and they don't say thank you it doesn't break my heart but i do expect it. I think he's speaking to decorum more than the need for approval.  Yes, in my pickup game (30 years running) you'd be acknowledged for the good pass.

BTW - Way too much made of participation acknowledgement - it's generally NEITHER necessary nor harmful.

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2016, 05:51:06 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Would you be upset if you served the tasting menu at L'Espalier to a six year old, and he said he liked that Happy Meal he had for lunch way better?

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Just play ball.

Just. Play. Ball.

Enjoy it.

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 08:02:48 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Curious to get everyone's take on this. We're all obviously big basketball fans, and I assume a lot of us have played a lot of pickup basketball in the past and/or present. So recently, I was playing in a game with some friends that rarely play, none of them played organized basketball in school (not that this is a big deal - just giving some background info), and they're all mediocre players at best. I'm no Paul Pierce myself, but compared to the people in this game, I was the best player.

Anyway, our team was on offense, and I was posting up on the left block. As one of my teammates was about to throw the entry pass to me, I saw one of my other teammates cut toward the basket out of the corner of my eye. I immediately had flashbacks to when Larry Bird would make those incredible touch passes - some of them without even looking - and decided to do it myself here. I didn't think any defenders were under the basket, but I wasn't 100% sure. But whatever, it's a pickup game and the reward far outweighed the risk. So the pass gets to me, and without turning my head at all, I tap the ball with my right hand over my shoulder right to my teammate for an open layup. I was super psyched that it actually worked, but no one on my team even acknowledged it. If the tables had been turned, I would've made a huge deal about how great of a pass that was if one of my teammates had made it, especially if I'd been the recipient of the pass.

Would that annoy you guys that no one even acknowledged it? I took it as further confirmation that they just don't know the game and/or maybe didn't see exactly what I did.
just need to appreciate it yourself.

I think everyone who's played pick up ball has had some of those moments that they made a play they considered great but didn't get acknowledgment. 

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 11:54:48 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
In pick up games the only that is acknowledge is points.

Not rebounds, assists, defense, screens etc.

That's what I've gathered from my own experiences.

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 11:59:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Pick-up ball experiences are definitely influenced by who you play with.  Like the OP (if I'm understanding correctly), I have a lot more fun playing with guys that are as good or slightly better than me -- just enjoy the competition and the challenge to succeed. I've always found that those games lead to greater satisfaction, camaraderie among teammates, higher competition, etc. Love it.

Agree with Roy H. and others though (and not assuming this is the case for you) that satisfaction is best suited to come from within, but at the same time, there's no shame in getting a little jacked up after a nice play. Glad to hear you have another regular game that you seem to really enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 12:20:38 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC