Author Topic: Interesting Brad Article  (Read 1901 times)

Interesting Brad Article
« on: September 22, 2016, 05:48:25 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Just read through it quickly but I don't think he is saying we need Lebron James or Steph Curry.  We need a special sort of team to beat those guys and that's exactly what Ainge and Brad are building.

http://www.businessinsider.com/brad-stevens-on-how-the-nba-evolves-2016-9

This to me is being misconstrued as something different.  It will be different but to me this is what the celtics have always been.  Red himself used to say you need talent and it starts with that but it's more than that.  The Celtics historically have always been a team that has elite talent like bird and russell etc but they used to beat the wilt chamberlains of the world because it was more than that and about having a special team. 

Bird was considered a step below Magic on the draft chart. EVen KG was. So was Russell. These guys were not the #1 draft pick or lebron or guys like that. They were elite but it was about assembling a group of guys that had more talent overall and played together and fit together and a certain style of play too.

They used to outsmart teams and get elite talent in different ways than the obvious and were able to assemble better and more talented teams because of it.

That's not to say we wouldn't add Lebron either. under the right circumstance we might and aren't stupid but I don't think that is the plan.  That would more be the icing if it happened. i don't think we add a guy like Lebron unless the circumstance team wise is right either.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:00:12 AM by walker834 »

Re: Interesting Brad Article
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 09:13:36 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I didn't get that at all from the article. He was talking about why the NBA has become this pace and space league. He mentions the increased number of guys with that ability (Steph, Klay, KD, PG13, etc.)

I didn't see anywhere in there where he eludes to what you're saying, but I agree with your point. I don't know if it's necessary to have one of those guys on your team, but it would help.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
"I think the game will always be dependent on the players that are at its most elite level at that time," Stevens said. He continued:

"If you have an era where you have a [Wilt] Chamberlain and [Bill] Russell and people like that, then everybody's going to have to scheme or find people to account for those guys. And when you have this current focus on skill and spacing and speed and everything else, it's gonna take a pretty special group of players to change the way the game is played."

I read it that way because he's talking about current focus on skill and  spacing and speed but in order to change the game it's going to take a special group of players. Why I think he's saying it's about talent but it's about a special group.  Which is how the celtics have always done it. They haven't followed trends. They've tried to put together  the best team period.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
He's clearly trying to prepare us for how Ante Zizic will transform the league.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 06:59:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
These are all quotes from the BS Podcast he did. I listened to it this morning. What he was saying is that the league trends toward different styles based on how the best players happen to play. More highly skilled little guys are in the league right now and there are no Hakeems, Ewings, Robinons, or Shaqs so we're seeing pace and space. That all could flip back around if the talent in the NBA changes again.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:12:43 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 09:47:24 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I think we have that team now and talent is going to be added to it with the picks we have coming up and free agency and maybe even trades.  But our style is already different. It's built around balance and scoring in a variety of ways and great physical wing defenders to slow down some of these teams that are using the 3 pt shot and spacing and speed.  We have speed, 3 pt shooting and spacing but we also have guys who defend on the wings. We also have  a legitament big man and a scoring pg.

We also have a ton of depth and can keep a pace other teams cant even the speedy ones because of the depth we have.  We can give different looks too and really do it all.  We don't have lebron or durant but we have some really good pieces and more big ones coming up where we might land a guy or two like  that to go with it.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 03:44:48 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I think we have that team now and talent is going to be added to it with the picks we have coming up and free agency and maybe even trades.  But our style is already different. It's built around balance and scoring in a variety of ways and great physical wing defenders to slow down some of these teams that are using the 3 pt shot and spacing and speed.  We have speed, 3 pt shooting and spacing but we also have guys who defend on the wings. We also have  a legitament big man and a scoring pg.

We also have a ton of depth and can keep a pace other teams cant even the speedy ones because of the depth we have.  We can give different looks too and really do it all.  We don't have lebron or durant but we have some really good pieces and more big ones coming up where we might land a guy or two like  that to go with it.
All true. I think now we attempt to upgrade one at a time by position. The trick may be doing it without upsetting chemistry. We have two more drafts to get top talent. I do think this may be our future more than the big FA signing some are craving.

Brad just wants the best players regardless of position.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku