Author Topic: KG in advanced buyout negotiations with T-Wolves (UPDATE: Retiring?)  (Read 8727 times)

Re: KG in advanced buyout negotiations with T-Wolves
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 12:26:44 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He's not going anywhere, he's retiring. 

It seems kind of uncool that there has to be a buy out though.  KG has made enough money, can't he just retire and leave the $7 million alone?

Is that a joke?
In the past a lot of guys would just retire and not try to squeeze every cent out of a team.  Garnett is known for loving money and I believe he has made more money than any other player in NBA history unless Kobe surpassed him in the last year or two.  I just don't see why he needs to negotiate for a portion of $7 million.

I know that before Flip Saunders' death he and KG were planning on putting together a group to buy the Timberwolves.  I wouldn't be surprised if KG is looking to make a little more money to help make that a reality
Some Minny fans on RealGM are saying that part of the long term plan was for KG to become a minority owner. However now that Flip has gone, Glen Taylor has found other more attractive investment opportunities and has reneged on the gentleman's agreement.

Because of that I'm not ready to agree that he is definitely retiring, I think he might head out to LA for a year to finish with Pierce and Doc

Yes, there were whispers last year about KG not being happy with what is happening in Minnesota. He only went back because they (KG and Flip, mostly) had a plan for him to transition from playing to ownership/front office. With Flip gone, KG said some things about "promises being made" and "seeing if people were going to live up to their word" (Glen Taylor, I assume). That he's now looking for a buyout tells me maybe that plan is out the window and KG is not pleased.

I have to think LAC is likely if he plays anywhere.

Yeah I think that has to be it. Burnt twice now in Minny. He has a place in LA I think so it would make some sense. Also I think it would be just for him and PP to go on their swansong together, I actually think LAC have a decent shot this year too

Both him and Pierce are cooked though. They really can't help LA on the court anymore, and I don't see the Clippers having any shot at getting past GS, or even the Spurs.

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 12:36:03 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

It seems kind of uncool that there has to be a buy out though.  KG has made enough money, can't he just retire and leave the $7 million alone?

Is that a joke?
In the past a lot of guys would just retire and not try to squeeze every cent out of a team.  Garnett is known for loving money and I believe he has made more money than any other player in NBA history unless Kobe surpassed him in the last year or two.  I just don't see why he needs to negotiate for a portion of $7 million.

I know that before Flip Saunders' death he and KG were planning on putting together a group to buy the Timberwolves.  I wouldn't be surprised if KG is looking to make a little more money to help make that a reality
Some Minny fans on RealGM are saying that part of the long term plan was for KG to become a minority owner. However now that Flip has gone, Glen Taylor has found other more attractive investment opportunities and has reneged on the gentleman's agreement.

Because of that I'm not ready to agree that he is definitely retiring, I think he might head out to LA for a year to finish with Pierce and Doc

Yes, there were whispers last year about KG not being happy with what is happening in Minnesota. He only went back because they (KG and Flip, mostly) had a plan for him to transition from playing to ownership/front office. With Flip gone, KG said some things about "promises being made" and "seeing if people were going to live up to their word" (Glen Taylor, I assume). That he's now looking for a buyout tells me maybe that plan is out the window and KG is not pleased.

Yeah I think that has to be it. Burnt twice now in Minny. He has a place in LA I think so it would make some sense. Also I think it would be just for him and PP to go on their swansong together, I actually think LAC have a decent shot this year too

Both him and Pierce are cooked though. They really can't help LA on the court anymore, and I don't see the Clippers having any shot at getting past GS, or even the Spurs.

I think KG can still have an impact wherever he goes. If not on the court then off it. Teaching guys and inspiring them. Pierce is really a stretch 4 option at this point but he can still offer something.

SF is still their weak spot but everyone has a weak spot. GS lack depth and SA will struggle at the point. They definitely have a solid chance this year. I'd peg them as strong contenders for the #2 seed and depending on matchups could go far in the playoffs.

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 12:46:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Is that a joke?

I think KG can still have an impact wherever he goes. If not on the court then off it. Teaching guys and inspiring them. Pierce is really a stretch 4 option at this point but he can still offer something.

SF is still their weak spot but everyone has a weak spot. GS lack depth and SA will struggle at the point. They definitely have a solid chance this year. I'd peg them as strong contenders for the #2 seed and depending on matchups could go far in the playoffs.
Agree, but also because big men can hang around longer in this league since their game depends a bit less on pure athleticism than other court positions do.  I think both PP and KG could be good for 8-14 mpg of bench depth, and their veteran wisdom could be a significant help in pressure situations.  A #2 ranking in the WC is not unreasonable for LAC.

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Draper just retweeted this.

Kyle Draper Retweeted
 Star Tribune Sports ‏@StribSports  5m5 minutes ago
BREAKING: Kevin Garnett will not return to the #twolves this season. A retirement announcement expected shortly. http://strib.mn/2crfc3i

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: KG in advanced buyout negotiations with T-Wolves (UPDATE: Retiring?)
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 03:55:54 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

Thanks for the memories KG. Bill Russell offered to give you one if his rings but it turns out you didn't need it.  :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 04:04:07 PM »

Offline TheChiefRobertPairsh

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
I still think if he retires or not he will stick around to mentor guys like KAT

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:06 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Well, that's a punch to the gut.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
KAT just tweeted this:
KAT: ......

Seems like KG will retire. Thanks for all big fella.

Sad to see all the great players leave the game. Time went by too fast.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
KAT just tweeted this:
KAT: ......

Seems like KG will retire. Thanks for all big fella.

Sad to see all the great players leave the game. Time went by too fast.

KAT will go down as one the greatest to play in this league and I´m sure he will mention KG in his HOF speech.

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2016, 05:45:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6TnilbMphA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90MtenZBABM

"IF" this is it THANKS BIG FELLA.

I'll NEVER forget that hot summer morning when I woke up, did my morning routine (eating breakfast, going to read message traffic and getting ready to take the watch from my shipmates).

One of them, a diehard Spurs fan, told me when I got into our office "Hey Man your boys got KG and Ray Allen."

"THAT" information made the rest of my deployment go a bit faster...I haven't had THAT much excitement about BOS since their playoff run in the early 2000's.

The only difference with the early 2000's run and when KG and Ray arrived was that THIS time around I believed we had a CHANCE...

KG re-ignited that tough-minded culture for BOS. I'll never forget THIS Big Three's run.

Thanks again Big Fella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2PGX-kJkKc

And NOW he can put "Boo Boo" to bed HIMSELF LOL...........

« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:50:24 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2016, 05:47:07 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I guess does Boston hold tight & wait until after Minnesota retires KG's number before doing the same? 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
So KG, Duncan and Kobe all retire after the 2015-2016 NBA season. The city of Springfield is going to host one heck of a Hall of Fame Induction Night 5 years from now.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2016, 07:25:37 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
It's time. What a career. We're so lucky to have seen him play here.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2016, 08:01:10 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
     Obviously being a Celtic nut I'm biased but I honestly believe he deserves to be the logo of the NBA. He's everything good about the NBA. Him or Bill Russell. Best teammates ever in sports IMHO.               There have been better players but he will be seriously missed. Duncan had a more storied career but KG's passion is just crazy.
    I used to laugh in amazement when he would full court trap and slow down the opposing team's point guard and thd opponent wasn't able to take advantage. I could go on forever. 1 of a kind.
    I'm all about having his number raised. Be proud to have a guy 's jersey that played so hard Up in the rafters.

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2016, 09:20:14 PM »

Online JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Enes Kanter on Twitter:

"KG finally retiring and joining his knees,
retired 6 years ago. 😂😂
#Respect
#ThankYouKG"

https://twitter.com/Enes_Kanter
The only color that matters is GREEN