Author Topic: KG in advanced buyout negotiations with T-Wolves (UPDATE: Retiring?)  (Read 8738 times)

Re: KG in advanced buyout negotiations with T-Wolves
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 04:38:37 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
I would love for the Celtics to somehow bring back KG, Pierce and Allen for some end of the bench veteran leadership. Plus, the nostalgia!
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
It has to be retirement.  All I had read was that he was happy to be there as a mentor and transition into the next generation.  He intended to buy part of the team eventually.  And with Thibs coaching and that team potentially being really good this year, it wouldn't make much sense for him to go ring chase.   Assume retirement.
I always expected him to hang up jersey and be on the bench the next day as defensive or big coach for minny

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 06:51:18 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's not going anywhere, he's retiring. 

It seems kind of uncool that there has to be a buy out though.  KG has made enough money, can't he just retire and leave the $7 million alone?

Is that a joke?
In the past a lot of guys would just retire and not try to squeeze every cent out of a team.  Garnett is known for loving money and I believe he has made more money than any other player in NBA history unless Kobe surpassed him in the last year or two.  I just don't see why he needs to negotiate for a portion of $7 million.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 07:28:26 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would love for the Celtics to somehow bring back KG, Pierce and Allen for some end of the bench veteran leadership. Plus, the nostalgia!

This won't happen for several reasons

1) Ainge is not sentimental, he gives a rat's rear about nostalgia.
2) We do not have roster spots enough now.
3) KG is old and his play has declined.
4) It makes zero basketball sense, unless he comes back as a coach.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 08:32:02 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

It seems kind of uncool that there has to be a buy out though.  KG has made enough money, can't he just retire and leave the $7 million alone?

Is that a joke?
In the past a lot of guys would just retire and not try to squeeze every cent out of a team.  Garnett is known for loving money and I believe he has made more money than any other player in NBA history unless Kobe surpassed him in the last year or two.  I just don't see why he needs to negotiate for a portion of $7 million.

I know that before Flip Saunders' death he and KG were planning on putting together a group to buy the Timberwolves.  I wouldn't be surprised if KG is looking to make a little more money to help make that a reality
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Is that a joke?

I know that before Flip Saunders' death he and KG were planning on putting together a group to buy the Timberwolves.  I wouldn't be surprised if KG is looking to make a little more money to help make that a reality
Some Minny fans on RealGM are saying that part of the long term plan was for KG to become a minority owner. However now that Flip has gone, Glen Taylor has found other more attractive investment opportunities and has reneged on the gentleman's agreement.

Because of that I'm not ready to agree that he is definitely retiring, I think he might head out to LA for a year to finish with Pierce and Doc

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2016, 08:42:53 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37

Is that a joke?

Some Minny fans on RealGM are saying that part of the long term plan was for KG to become a minority owner. However now that Flip has gone, Glen Taylor has found other more attractive investment opportunities and has reneged on the gentleman's agreement.

Because of that I'm not ready to agree that he is definitely retiring, I think he might head out to LA for a year to finish with Pierce and Doc

This is what I've been thinking too, if KG can't become a part owner after the supposed hand shake deal, I think he will play another year and ring chase just to stick it to the T-wolves.

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 09:26:07 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Is that a joke?

This is what I've been thinking too, if KG can't become a part owner after the supposed hand shake deal, I think he will play another year and ring chase just to stick it to the T-wolves.

Imagine how much of a slap in the face it would be to the TWolves if he signed a 1 day contract to retire with the Celtics
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
It's time.

KG, Duncan, Kobe would be one helluva HOF class.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2016, 10:18:45 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35

This. KG could be a good back up PF. Ray could bring some shooting relief. I don't know what to do with PP though.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 10:34:31 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Nothing like signing a two year contract and stealing the second year.....great player but I guess he has not made enough money in his career

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Is that a joke?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic here, but could you list some examples and how much they "left on the table". Can't find a list online anywhere!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Is that a joke?

I do think he will play another year, but not to stick it to the T-Wolves.  He made $8M last season and could probably make almost that much this upcoming season...pretty hard to walk away from coin like that, especially without any other employment or career available (like part-ownership). 

This is another of several examples of over-the-hill players (some who had previously retired) trying to cash in on the new contract levels.

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Is that a joke?

Yes, there were whispers last year about KG not being happy with what is happening in Minnesota. He only went back because they (KG and Flip, mostly) had a plan for him to transition from playing to ownership/front office. With Flip gone, KG said some things about "promises being made" and "seeing if people were going to live up to their word" (Glen Taylor, I assume). That he's now looking for a buyout tells me maybe that plan is out the window and KG is not pleased.

I have to think LAC is likely if he plays anywhere.

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 11:22:18 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Is that a joke?

Yes, there were whispers last year about KG not being happy with what is happening in Minnesota. He only went back because they (KG and Flip, mostly) had a plan for him to transition from playing to ownership/front office. With Flip gone, KG said some things about "promises being made" and "seeing if people were going to live up to their word" (Glen Taylor, I assume). That he's now looking for a buyout tells me maybe that plan is out the window and KG is not pleased.

I have to think LAC is likely if he plays anywhere.

Yeah I think that has to be it. Burnt twice now in Minny. He has a place in LA I think so it would make some sense. Also I think it would be just for him and PP to go on their swansong together, I actually think LAC have a decent shot this year too