Author Topic: I'm mad, no threepeat between '08 and '10  (Read 6805 times)

Re: I'm mad, no threepeat between '08 and '10
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Pau  Gasol was playing some great basketball those years. He was a Second tier scorer, passing big, fit well in the triangle, and didn't mind being the "2nd guy".  I wouldn't say Kobe only had role players. I think he had what he wanted. A big to  score when he wasn't, and hard working  players who gave in to giving him the ball everytime. We still should've won but I'm happy  the legacy was reestablished for those years. I been a fan since 08.

Don't forget "a big who was allowed to get away with an up-and-down."

This whole video is good, but what happens at the 4:50 mark is absolutely ridiculous.
Oy veh, I forgot about that play!

That's the play that has stuck with me from that game.

The Lakers were really good in 09, swept us in the regular season. It would've been a dogfight in the finals though.

2010 was just ugh. I enjoyed that playoff run, all up to before Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Wasn't really mad in 2012, LBJ rose up the occasion and slaughtered the Celtics at the TD Garden. We could've definitely won two more championships after 2008. I'd pick every other year...08, 10, 12.

The more the merrier, but I think that had KG not gotten injured, the Celtics would've won three straight, at least. They all would've been dogfights with the Lakers, but I think the Cs would've pulled it off. And if Shaq hadn't gotten injured, that would've been at least one more.

Hopefully the next Celtics dynasty isn't too reliant on a bunch of 30-somethings.

The often over looked potential of the 2010-2011 team. A healthy Shaq would've meant the 2011 NBA Champ Boston Celtics.

To be fair, though, a healthy Shaq at that point in his career was an unlikely event.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2016, 02:31:18 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah, Danny put his eggs in the "Old O'Neals" basket and it didn't work out.  :-\
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2016, 02:45:14 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
I'm really surprised at a lot of Bostonian fans thinking the lakers would beat the celts in 2009 if we were healthy.

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
If KG had gotten surgery on his bone spur early on, we've probably got at least one more ring.

This.

That injury took notches off of his total game. He basically went from top 5 in the game to somewhere between 10-15 (depending on how generous your feeling). Not to mention,
Pierce basically used the last of his Superstar mojo dragging (averaged something like 20/5/5 down regular season stretch) us into the play-offs, he never was the same after. That and Danny failed to put any legitimate depth around them to keep minutes down or with stand injuries (we had Mikki Moore playing big minutes and Eddie House was our main backup).

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
If KG had gotten surgery on his bone spur early on, we've probably got at least one more ring.

This.

That injury took notches off of his total game. He basically went from top 5 in the game to somewhere between 10-15 (depending on how generous your feeling). Not to mention,
Pierce basically used the last of his Superstar mojo dragging (averaged something like 20/5/5 down regular season stretch) us into the play-offs, he never was the same after. That and Danny failed to put any legitimate depth around them to keep minutes down or with stand injuries (we had Mikki Moore playing big minutes and Eddie House was our main backup).
I'll add that I don't think KG was ever 100% during the '10 season. Just look at Game 7 when the C's basically lost because no one could grab a rebound in the 4th quarter and KG finished with 3 rebounds on the night. Without the injury in '09 he'd have been better in '10.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2016, 07:07:31 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

This.

I'll add that I don't think KG was ever 100% during the '10 season. Just look at Game 7 when the C's basically lost because no one could grab a rebound in the 4th quarter and KG finished with 3 rebounds on the night. Without the injury in '09 he'd have been better in '10.

I agree. That's basically the thinking behind my comment farther above that had KG not been injured, the Cs would've threepeated. He was dominant up until that injury, but even in 2010 I could see the permanent effects of it.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 02:26:12 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
Yes, but Kobe's Lakers suck, plain and simple.

The fact that they won back-to-back, 2009/2010, is simply not right.

History should remember Kobe as a selfish player, who'd driven Shaq out of town and then, could never win the big one, nevermind a back-to-back, on his own with a roster of supporting role players.

The refs did everything in their power to tilt game seven in Kobe's favor, and even with that, it still took a miracle three by Artest for the Lakers to win.  I'll never feel right about that game, it was flat-out stolen from Pierce, Garnett and Allen.  Smh