Author Topic: I'm mad, no threepeat between '08 and '10  (Read 6806 times)

I'm mad, no threepeat between '08 and '10
« on: September 21, 2016, 03:06:13 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
And that's that ...

if I could have had one change in history, I would have wanted a threepeat, 2008/2009/2010.

In 2009, despite facing a better Lakers' squad, where Ariza and Odom finally played their collective hearts out, we win by exactly one basket on the buzzer, game 7. That's the equivalent of Russell blocking Elgin Baylor's game winning shot or Havlicek Stole the Ball.

And then in 2010, we do exactly what should have happened, our shots fell in game 7. Pierce runs pick 'n pops, neutralizing Artest's dirty defenses. Ray's shots keep falling and then, when it's over, Kobe finally admits that he'll never beat a team as great as the Celtics.

Afterwards, we never win again and the big three are broken up.

Re: I'm mad, no threepeat between '08 and '10
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 03:11:15 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
At least we got something out of the run other then historical excitement. Im sure Karl Malone would've been satisfied  with 1 out 3 3 successfull championship runs!  :P

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:15:17 PM »

Offline TitleMaster

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Yes, but Kobe's Lakers suck, plain and simple.

The fact that they won back-to-back, 2009/2010, is simply not right.

History should remember Kobe as a selfish player, who'd driven Shaq out of town and then, could never win the big one, nevermind a back-to-back, on his own with a roster of supporting role players.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:34:34 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
And that's that ...

if I could have had one change in history, I would have wanted a threepeat, 2008/2009/2010.

In 2009, despite facing a better Lakers' squad, where Ariza and Odom finally played their collective hearts out, we win by exactly one basket on the buzzer, game 7. That's the equivalent of Russell blocking Elgin Baylor's game winning shot or Havlicek Stole the Ball.

And then in 2010, we do exactly what should have happened, our shots fell in game 7. Pierce runs pick 'n pops, neutralizing Artest's dirty defenses. Ray's shots keep falling and then, when it's over, Kobe finally admits that he'll never beat a team as great as the Celtics.

Afterwards, we never win again and the big three are broken up.

I'll take your threepeat and trade the '09 ring for one in '12 instead.  That way Kobe still never beats the C's, and we keep LeBron from his first one too.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 03:36:41 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
As soon as the KG trade was made, I wanted two championships over the next three years. I thought is was a very realistic expectation at the time and looking back on it now I still think it was realistic, though it didn't happen.

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 05:38:20 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Not mad, here....but PLENTY of good memories.

All things considered I'm satisfied.

From first hearing about the KG-Ray Allen trade while deployed in Summer 2007 all the way to our valiant effort in 2011-12 I'm not mad at all.

PLENTY of laughs, tears and joy here. It's ALL good.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 07:18:55 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If KG had gotten surgery on his bone spur early on, we've probably got at least one more ring.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 06:33:51 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

No worries bro. The NBA conspired to help the Lakers out 100%.

I was so happy when the Lakers best players were Kobe and Odom. Then they girt wrap them Pau Gasol for Christmas. Unreal. BS from the NBA.

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2016, 09:24:37 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
As soon as the KG trade was made, I wanted two championships over the next three years. I thought is was a very realistic expectation at the time and looking back on it now I still think it was realistic, though it didn't happen.
Close to this.  I do think they realistically could have won 2 championships between '08 and '12.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Pau  Gasol was playing some great basketball those years. He was a Second tier scorer, passing big, fit well in the triangle, and didn't mind being the "2nd guy".  I wouldn't say Kobe only had role players. I think he had what he wanted. A big to  score when he wasn't, and hard working  players who gave in to giving him the ball everytime. We still should've won but I'm happy  the legacy was reestablished for those years. I been a fan since 08.

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 12:36:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pau  Gasol was playing some great basketball those years. He was a Second tier scorer, passing big, fit well in the triangle, and didn't mind being the "2nd guy".  I wouldn't say Kobe only had role players. I think he had what he wanted. A big to  score when he wasn't, and hard working  players who gave in to giving him the ball everytime. We still should've won but I'm happy  the legacy was reestablished for those years. I been a fan since 08.

Don't forget "a big who was allowed to get away with an up-and-down."

This whole video is good, but what happens at the 4:50 mark is absolutely ridiculous.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I'm Mad at you for reminding me that. :(

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2016, 12:51:09 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

This whole video is good, but what happens at the 4:50 mark is absolutely ridiculous.
Oy veh, I forgot about that play!

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2016, 01:12:25 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The Lakers were really good in 09, swept us in the regular season. It would've been a dogfight in the finals though.

2010 was just ugh. I enjoyed that playoff run, all up to before Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Wasn't really mad in 2012, LBJ rose up the occasion and slaughtered the Celtics at the TD Garden. We could've definitely won two more championships after 2008. I'd pick every other year...08, 10, 12.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Oy veh, I forgot about that play!

That's the play that has stuck with me from that game.

The Lakers were really good in 09, swept us in the regular season. It would've been a dogfight in the finals though.

2010 was just ugh. I enjoyed that playoff run, all up to before Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

Wasn't really mad in 2012, LBJ rose up the occasion and slaughtered the Celtics at the TD Garden. We could've definitely won two more championships after 2008. I'd pick every other year...08, 10, 12.

The more the merrier, but I think that had KG not gotten injured, the Celtics would've won three straight, at least. They all would've been dogfights with the Lakers, but I think the Cs would've pulled it off. And if Shaq hadn't gotten injured, that would've been at least one more.

Hopefully the next Celtics dynasty isn't too reliant on a bunch of 30-somethings.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis