Author Topic: what a sports town  (Read 1455 times)

what a sports town
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:45:31 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
of couse that phrase is from" in the day "
i grew up in boston with celtics and bruins bringing home the hardware
then the partriots and red sox finally beating the yankees,that was a miraculous palyoff
i can't believe the amount of fans that were gifted these teams while going to college,each year hundreds of thousands of students from all over the country got to watch 4 season competitive teams with some years multiple world championships
this post originated after i read a belichick interview and advice to leo epstien after winning the world series and then what leo faced with credit ,glory and  owners
ainge is lucky to have wck and brad has ainge" win and team danny" and that was the secret of belichick  and longevity-team first if not your f--cked was the advice to leo epstien
when i was a kid the basketball players played multiple sports because the skill set usually overlapped
-so to see patriots embrace isaiah,to see belichick and brady in the crowd as fans and then go on to assist in bringing durant to boston shows the strength of boston as a sports city
this year the celts have 22 televised games and a fun,gritty defensive product that seems to grasp team first concept
just saw a photo of durant blowin some serious smoke ,we saw green going after nuts in playoffs,then exposed himself with a selfie with team USA-- is camelot starting to crumble
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 08:12:20 AM by rollie mass »

Re: what a sports town
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 07:56:38 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If I was a player, I really think Boston would be near the top of my list. Great fans, great management, great coaching, great ownership, and a bright future.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:34:50 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
We had a stretch of ten titles in ten years. It enabled myself personally to venture out into other areas of life. I was a die-hard Red Sox fan growing up. That was a very painful upbringing for sports.

The kids who grew up in Boston as Titletown might not know how good they have it. We were sort of a loser city. The Red Sox were the biggest losers of all time. The Bruins dominated two seasons with the best players Orr and Esposito. Otherwise, the Boston Bruins were the Buffalo Bills of hockey. We were the second best team every year. That provided a bit of its own pain.

The Patriots never won anything, but then Kraft saved the day. We got Belichick. The Red Sox and Patriots broke curses. The Celtics and Bruins were simply joining the party.

I don't feel guilty that we had amazing luck the last fifteen years because before then being a Boston sports fan was maybe relying on the Celtics of the 60's and the mini-dynasties the following two decades. That team, Auerbach and Russell and the rest, saved this city for sports sanity.

Attendance wise it was always the Red Sox dominating. In terms of winning though, only the Celtics had the amazing past. Then Bias and Lewis died and Boston sports in general seemed over.

But this is a nutty sports town. Other teams are great but in the wrong location. We had some of the worst teams of all time, but the last fifteen years made all the suffering worth it.

I agree with Rollie there was something magical especially with Patriots in 2001 and the Red Sox in 2004. All other titles seemed matter of fact, even our Celtics win in 2008 seemed like business as usual for the cosmos.

Nothing will match what the Red Sox did and how they did it and to whom and especially after the playoffs in 2003. And really then we can talk about Bill Buckner, Yaz popping up to Nettles, Bob Stanley throwing a wild pitch. Some years the Red Sox had no chance. I remember always getting swept by Canseco and Eckersley, not even close around 1990. Being a 1986 Boston Red Sox fan had to be the most painful experience ever.

Down 0-3 to the Yankees and we win four in a row, never been done before and it was against the Yankees. You can't make up that kind of stuff.

The funniest part of the 2004 Red Sox is at a certain point we all knew they would pull it off. We knew deep in our hearts that we were incapable of jinxing it and they were incapable of choking. I think that confidence started brewing with the first win. The second win cemented much better odds, as we were then licking our chops for Schill and Pedro, best case scenarios, that anything is possible when it's a team full of idiots who don't know any better.

Then I think we swept Colorado or St. Louis. I forget. I knew we weren't going to choke in the WS after destroying the Bambino Curse.

That is now 12 years ago, but it definitely changed the course of my life as a sports fan. I no longer take it too seriously. If one cannot feel immortal satisfaction for the 2004 Red Sox, nothing will ever do it.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 12:59:54 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
It's now down to the New England Revs to get it together and join the party. Soccer's a pretty fun game you know
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 01:14:36 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If I was a player, I really think Boston would be near the top of my list. Great fans, great management, great coaching, great ownership, and a bright future.
Agreed.  I've been saying that for a couple years.  I'm glad Horford put to rest the narrative that the Celtics can't attract star Free Agents.  This is a key destination.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:06:03 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
We had a stretch of ten titles in ten years. It enabled myself personally to venture out into other areas of life. I was a die-hard Red Sox fan growing up. That was a very painful upbringing for sports.

The kids who grew up in Boston as Titletown might not know how good they have it. We were sort of a loser city. The Red Sox were the biggest losers of all time. The Bruins dominated two seasons with the best players Orr and Esposito. Otherwise, the Boston Bruins were the Buffalo Bills of hockey. We were the second best team every year. That provided a bit of its own pain.

The Patriots never won anything, but then Kraft saved the day. We got Belichick. The Red Sox and Patriots broke curses. The Celtics and Bruins were simply joining the party.

I don't feel guilty that we had amazing luck the last fifteen years because before then being a Boston sports fan was maybe relying on the Celtics of the 60's and the mini-dynasties the following two decades. That team, Auerbach and Russell and the rest, saved this city for sports sanity.

Attendance wise it was always the Red Sox dominating. In terms of winning though, only the Celtics had the amazing past. Then Bias and Lewis died and Boston sports in general seemed over.

But this is a nutty sports town. Other teams are great but in the wrong location. We had some of the worst teams of all time, but the last fifteen years made all the suffering worth it.

I agree with Rollie there was something magical especially with Patriots in 2001 and the Red Sox in 2004. All other titles seemed matter of fact, even our Celtics win in 2008 seemed like business as usual for the cosmos.

Nothing will match what the Red Sox did and how they did it and to whom and especially after the playoffs in 2003. And really then we can talk about Bill Buckner, Yaz popping up to Nettles, Bob Stanley throwing a wild pitch. Some years the Red Sox had no chance. I remember always getting swept by Canseco and Eckersley, not even close around 1990. Being a 1986 Boston Red Sox fan had to be the most painful experience ever.

Down 0-3 to the Yankees and we win four in a row, never been done before and it was against the Yankees. You can't make up that kind of stuff.

The funniest part of the 2004 Red Sox is at a certain point we all knew they would pull it off. We knew deep in our hearts that we were incapable of jinxing it and they were incapable of choking. I think that confidence started brewing with the first win. The second win cemented much better odds, as we were then licking our chops for Schill and Pedro, best case scenarios, that anything is possible when it's a team full of idiots who don't know any better.

Then I think we swept Colorado or St. Louis. I forget. I knew we weren't going to choke in the WS after destroying the Bambino Curse.

That is now 12 years ago, but it definitely changed the course of my life as a sports fan. I no longer take it too seriously. If one cannot feel immortal satisfaction for the 2004 Red Sox, nothing will ever do it.

nice post-thanks for expressing how powerful that yankee win was -tp

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 03:17:23 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
The great thing about this edition of the Celtics is they could produce a magical season and win it all. Maybe I am biased. The team looks top grade for talent and chemistry.

We lost something when the Red Sox broke the curse, at least for me. I no longer watch any of it. It's boring. Been there, done that.

Basketball is something fun to watch with team play and it gets artistic at times when done well.

We have ten players who could have breakout years in terms of winning games. Maybe Perk or KG is the missing piece, a P.J. Brown who comes in late season to let others play PF instead of center. I'd go with Perk. KG might be too high strung. If we could pry Gortat from Washington, we'd win the title? I hear Horford and Amir are really power forwards, although they are obviously better at center than Zeller. I will go ramble on the other thread.

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
To be fair Boston doesn't measure itself by playoff appearances. You win a ring here or it's a bad season.  There is no other city like that.

So all the playoff appearances the teams made in the 80s and 90s....2 Super Bowl appearances, the World Series appearances in the 70s and 80s, the Stanley Cup appearances in the 70s and 80s....we don't really talk about it.

But if you just look at championship appearances all our teams are top 5. All of them.

Then you have BC and BU hockey.

Even BC football has a claimed national championship and a homegrown Heisman.

Even the Revolution has 5 championship game appearance, but all losses so we don't even acknowledge them.

Also best marathon on Earth

And Harvard and MIT

And Cheers

And the ACTUAL revolution with the actual Patriots