Poll

A future 20 ppg scorer 7 rpg  but shooting .428% fg .300% 3p

Yes.
14 (53.8%)
No. No chuckers wanted here.
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Poll. Are you Ok with Brown turning into an inefficient Stud  (Read 3940 times)

Re: Poll. Are you Ok with Brown turning into an inefficient Stud
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2016, 11:41:52 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Saw on Reddit they were saying his ceiling could be Corey Maggette.  Similar body types and such.  Also similar type of game, apparently - Maggette attacked the basket and got to the line a lot.  That's the kind of stats Magette put up in his prime... 20-22 points, 2-3 assists, 5-6 rebounds, a steal with 44%/32%/82% shooting.  Maybe in 3-5 years.  It took Maggette about 5 years to get to his peak.  It's a nice optimistic comp.  I think Jaylen has a chance to be that good.  I'm hopeful he'll be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_ZHdgK5-k

Jaylen is a new type of beast. There are no comparisons.  ;D Also, I don't understand the theme of this thread. An "inefficient stud"? What, like LeBron? Like, super athletic, and well rounded, but not a clutch bone in his body?  ;D

Look, five years from now, we're either going to be kicking ourselves for not taking Dunn, or praising Danny as a genius after crapping all over the pick.

If Brown lands somewhere in the middle, he's basically Jeff Green. OP- is he a good example of an inefficient stud?

Brown is intelligent, athletic and has heart; a perfect mix of mind, body and soul. I'm excited to see what he can do, I just don't understand how he helps us win now, or where this team is going if we luck out in the draft and take another potential stud next summer.

IT is aging, Horford is old and our team is unbalanced. Not to beat the drum again, but it feels like Danny and ownership are pulling the team in two different directions. Maybe Danny was forced to make the pick, but it still doesn't align with our current path.

I would be blown away if we could sustain success while grooming younger players and then incorporating them into the mix, ala San Antonio. It just feels like we are prioritizing the playoffs at the moment, and I'm not sure where rookies fit into that plan.

Perhaps we could benefit from an inefficient stud when Crowder inevitably gets injured in the playoffs  ;D
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2016, 01:43:28 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
It'll be interesting because if Jaylen follows the path of guys like maggette and Jimmy butler he will not make much of an impact until his 5th year.  So that would make things interesting when his rookie contract ends and he's coming off his best season averaging like 13 points on 41% shooting and we are all debating whether or not he's worth a big extension.

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 01:59:55 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
False premise.  Bad shooter does not necessarily equal inefficient scorer.  It all depends on whether he is able to get HIS shot when he wants it. 

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
False premise.  Bad shooter does not necessarily equal inefficient scorer.  It all depends on whether he is able to get HIS shot when he wants it.

Not a false premise. It happens all the time. And he struggles with his shot. So it's actually very likely, but he's aggressive so he should score often.

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2016, 05:55:49 PM »

Offline detour

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
  • Jack of some trades
If an inefficient stud is something close to Iguodala, I'm completely OK with that.

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2016, 07:20:21 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
You ask:
A future 20 ppg scorer 7 rpg  but shooting .428% fg .300% 3p

Basketball-reference.com says:

There are only 18 such seasons in the entire 3-PT Shot era, achieved by just 12 different players.  No one achieved that last season.  The 12 players who have posted those numbers (> 20ppg, < .428 FG%, < .300 3PT%) while qualifying for the leaderboard are:

Russell Westbrook
Allen Iverson (4 times)
Jerry Stackhouse (4 times)
Paul Pierce
Michael Adams
Steve Francis
Tracy McGrady
Derrick Coleman
Lebron James
DeMar DeRozan
Michael Jordan
Latrell Sprewell

Not a bad list of names.  In 14 of the 18 seasons, the player posted 4.0+ Win Shares and in 16 of those seasons, the player posted a PER of 17.4+.   

It should be noted that most of these guys were actually 'scoring efficient' because most of them get to the free throw line at very high rates.  In 15 of the 18 seasons, the player posted a FTr of .351 or better.   The only rotation player on the Celtics to post that high of an FTr was Isaiah (.394).  Jordan Mickey and Tyler Zeller also did, but they barely played.  No other rotation player on the Celtics posted a rate above .314.

Judging by Brown's style of game in college and indeed, as he showed to extreme in Summer League, I don't think it's unreasonable to anticipate that he will be a player who gets to the FT line a lot.  Like, at ridiculous rates.   So even if he does, indeed, end up 'shooting inefficient' per your fears, I suspect he will actually prove to be very 'scoring efficient'.   

Like the names on that list above.

I think most folks consider most of those guys to be, 'studs'.

Like the players named, it is possible that Brown might throw together such a season at some point, but I seriously doubt that he will really post such low percentages for his career though (while also scoring 20 points per game).  No regular rotation player has ever come close to that combination of numbers on a career basis.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2016, 01:35:05 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
You ask:
A future 20 ppg scorer 7 rpg  but shooting .428% fg .300% 3p

Basketball-reference.com says:

There are only 18 such seasons in the entire 3-PT Shot era, achieved by just 12 different players.  No one achieved that last season.  The 12 players who have posted those numbers (> 20ppg, < .428 FG%, < .300 3PT%) while qualifying for the leaderboard are:

Russell Westbrook
Allen Iverson (4 times)
Jerry Stackhouse (4 times)
Paul Pierce
Michael Adams
Steve Francis
Tracy McGrady
Derrick Coleman
Lebron James
DeMar DeRozan
Michael Jordan
Latrell Sprewell

Not a bad list of names.  In 14 of the 18 seasons, the player posted 4.0+ Win Shares and in 16 of those seasons, the player posted a PER of 17.4+.   

It should be noted that most of these guys were actually 'scoring efficient' because most of them get to the free throw line at very high rates.  In 15 of the 18 seasons, the player posted a FTr of .351 or better.   The only rotation player on the Celtics to post that high of an FTr was Isaiah (.394).  Jordan Mickey and Tyler Zeller also did, but they barely played.  No other rotation player on the Celtics posted a rate above .314.

Judging by Brown's style of game in college and indeed, as he showed to extreme in Summer League, I don't think it's unreasonable to anticipate that he will be a player who gets to the FT line a lot.  Like, at ridiculous rates.   So even if he does, indeed, end up 'shooting inefficient' per your fears, I suspect he will actually prove to be very 'scoring efficient'.   

Like the names on that list above.

I think most folks consider most of those guys to be, 'studs'.

Like the players named, it is possible that Brown might throw together such a season at some point, but I seriously doubt that he will really post such low percentages for his career though (while also scoring 20 points per game).  No regular rotation player has ever come close to that combination of numbers on a career basis.

Tp Mmmmm, awesome post.

I'm finally ready to vote now after that post lol.

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2016, 03:08:33 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
44%  field goal percentage in the post jordan handcheck era is actually pretty good, imo. Big men were the only ones shooting above 50% from the field in that era. Getting rid of that physicality on the perimeter changed everything, just about.