Poll

A future 20 ppg scorer 7 rpg  but shooting .428% fg .300% 3p

Yes.
14 (53.8%)
No. No chuckers wanted here.
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Poll. Are you Ok with Brown turning into an inefficient Stud  (Read 3929 times)

Poll. Are you Ok with Brown turning into an inefficient Stud
« on: September 20, 2016, 07:42:57 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Since shooting is his weakness,  interested to see if four years from now if he's scoring 20 ppg but not exactly really efficient, is that still a positive for this team.

Re: Poll. Are you Ok with Brown turning into an inefficient Stud
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 07:49:35 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Define stud for me.

By many metrics Russell Westbrook is "inefficient," but I think most people would be thrilled to get that kind of player with the #3 pick.

On the other hand, if he turns into Nick Young or something, I'm not sure anybody would be happy with that outcome.

With Jaylen, I think Corey Maggette and Demar Derozan are probably better benchmarks.  Not super "efficient" players, but valuable nonetheless for their ability to get to the line and make tough shots.

If that's the type of player Jaylen becomes, he won't be an MVP candidate, but he'll be pretty valuable and maybe make an All-Star team or two.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:50:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Allen Iverson was the only inefficient stud I ever saw. Sometimes Toine

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:26:27 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Brown seems to have the attitude and work ethic that I would not put into inefficient mode.  Give the kid time I think he'll work his way into being a very good player.  So far I've seen a very good rebounding sf, guy who looks like he is already pro defense ready, nice handle with the ball.  His weakness is going to be scoring?  I'm ok with that for his rookie season.

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 08:30:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Saw on Reddit they were saying his ceiling could be Corey Maggette.  Similar body types and such.  Also similar type of game, apparently - Maggette attacked the basket and got to the line a lot.  That's the kind of stats Magette put up in his prime... 20-22 points, 2-3 assists, 5-6 rebounds, a steal with 44%/32%/82% shooting.  Maybe in 3-5 years.  It took Maggette about 5 years to get to his peak.  It's a nice optimistic comp.  I think Jaylen has a chance to be that good.  I'm hopeful he'll be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_ZHdgK5-k
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:36:27 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Define stud for me.

By many metrics Russell Westbrook is "inefficient," but I think most people would be thrilled to get that kind of player with the #3 pick.

On the other hand, if he turns into Nick Young or something, I'm not sure anybody would be happy with that outcome.

With Jaylen, I think Corey Maggette and Demar Derozan are probably better benchmarks.  Not super "efficient" players, but valuable nonetheless for their ability to get to the line and make tough shots.

If that's the type of player Jaylen becomes, he won't be an MVP candidate, but he'll be pretty valuable and maybe make an All-Star team or two.

By Stud I'm saying 20ppg and 6 rpg on sub par shooting percentages.

We know he won't become Nick young just because of there maturity differences. I think he will be a not as efficient and not the Scorer that Derozan is, but a better defender and teammate.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Define stud for me.

We know he won't become Nick young just because of there maturity differences. I think he will be a not as efficient and not the Scorer that Derozan is, but a better defender and teammate.

How many FTA/game? If he's shooting those percentages but getting to the line at a high rate (and hitting his free throws), then that's a lot different than shooting like that and barely getting to the line

You could shoot 10% from the field and still be an efficient scorer if you got to the line enough and hit your FTs
I'm bitter.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 08:59:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
20/6 on, say, 40% shooting and 25% 3PT%? I wouldn't love it, but if he's playing great defense, I'd take it.

Of course, that arguably makes him a poor man's Josh Smith, so maybe not.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Saw on Reddit they were saying his ceiling could be Corey Maggette.  Similar body types and such.  Also similar type of game, apparently - Maggette attacked the basket and got to the line a lot.  That's the kind of stats Magette put up in his prime... 20-22 points, 2-3 assists, 5-6 rebounds, a steal with 44%/32%/82% shooting.  Maybe in 3-5 years.  It took Maggette about 5 years to get to his peak.  It's a nice optimistic comp.  I think Jaylen has a chance to be that good.  I'm hopeful he'll be great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA_ZHdgK5-k

If Maggette played elite defense, he would have been a really great player.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 09:10:16 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Honestly, if Brown can average anything close to 20/3/5 on 45% from the field while giving high level defense, I am happy. As someone who hated him going into the draft, I have loved everything I have heard and seen about him since the draft.

He could be one of the pieces that takes us over the top. Lets hope he is.
#JKJB

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:18 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Define stud for me.

How many FTA/game? If he's shooting those percentages but getting to the line at a high rate (and hitting his free throws), then that's a lot different than shooting like that and barely getting to the line

I don't think his %'s will be that bad but if they were and he was top 10 in FTA I could deal with it.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sometimes the team of an inefficient stud, looses games. Is he an inefficient stud on a team that wins 58-60 games, or is he an inefficient stud on a team that wins 48-50 games?

It matters.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 09:39:16 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Define stud for me.

Can't wait to see OKC this year. What a miserable story that could be...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2016, 01:35:03 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Inefficient stud is a weird term because in order to be a stud you have to be... well... a stud. meaning if you are inefficient you have to be putting up westbrook like numbers to still qualify as a stud. So yeah, I want him to be a stud.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2016, 02:35:11 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I'd love to see Jaylen show up and be far better right away than anyone expects.   I think most figure he'll be averaging around 8 points or so with less than 40% shooting in his first season.  In a few years, hopefully he's putting up Ricky Davis stats.  In 5 years, hopefully he's better than Premium Brand Ricky Davis (Jimmy Butler).  Eventually, hopefully he is Premium Brand Jimmy Butler.