Author Topic: All-Time Intangible Impact Guys?  (Read 5950 times)

Re: All-Time Intangible Impact Guys?
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2016, 08:43:03 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Posey

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2016, 11:50:33 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Judging by the threads that are continually popping up on this forum the answer should be Kelly Olynyk.  Since coming to the Celtics 3 years ago the C's are +438 points with him on the floor and -528 points without him and virtually no one seems to have any understanding as to why or how.  Apparently what he does is so intangible that they would rather trade him for a bag of chips than keep him.

I agree. I don't expect everyone to be all sunshine and cupcakes, but Olynyk is one of our guys. How about a little respect and support?

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nba/stats/individual-player-plus-minus-statistics/2015/

That link has Kelly Olynyk at #41 for best plus-minus. He was +3.2 points per game and +5.6 points per 36 minutes.

I am hopeful Olynyk breaks out because he works hard and has a lot of talent. He is a late bloomer for a center and has improved dramatically on defense. He knows where to be. He has a very high ceiling on offense and is now entering his fourth year. Now is the worst time to sell low on Olynyk.

For those worried about resigning him, he is so unselfish he is probably holding back his stats because he wants wins over personal glory.

Sometimes I feel ashamed at some of things fellow Celtics fans write. Just don't act like you knew it could happen if he has a breakout year or simply does what he does and we pile up wins because of players like Kelly Olynyk.

Olynyk is a very good player. You'll see. There's no point in worrying about money and future contracts. This season can't start soon enough.

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:28 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The Robert Horry all-stars: Lamar Odom, Michael Cooper, James Posey, Horace Grant, Vinnie Johnson, Shane Battier, Bill Laimbeer to name a few.

Quite a few Celtics faithful would be on a list like this. Don Nelson, Satch Sanders, Frank Ramsey, KC Jones.

I wouldn't call Bill Laimbeer a Robert Horry-type. He's a 4x All-Star afterall and a rebounding champ.

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2016, 01:28:07 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Marcus Smart definitely is a high intangibles guy.  Even if he fails to make a leap this season, you can see him going on to have a long career coming off the bench for contenders making plays that only advanced analytics guys love.

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2016, 03:19:45 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I see a lot of 3 + D wings on the list, but I think great screeners, especially those who roll/pop well off them, are even underrated by those looking for underrated players.  Maybe the most overlooked intangible.

Not sure if this is relevant, since I never watched the guy play, but I searched on Basketball-Reference for guys with high career WS totals despite low PPG numbers, and I noticed that Sam Perkins has over 100 career WS despite averaging only 12 points and 6 rebounds for his career.

Vastly underrated player.  Good ol' Sleepy Sam (Perkins, not Hayakawa!).