Author Topic: 2016-17 Win Totals  (Read 5375 times)

Re: 2016-17 Win Totals
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 10:52:43 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Honestly, it still won't surprise me if we battle Cleveland for the number one overall spot. It ultimately depends on how much rest Brad plans on giving Horford during the season, which is something we haven't really had to worry about the last couple of years with how young we've been.

With the combination of Cleveland's championship hangover, James taking it easy/resting during large portions of the season, and Boston being deep and greatly set up to win throughout the long season, I think we could easily see a neck-and-neck race with Cleveland for the top spot in April.

100% agreed Potter. Tp.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 11:44:20 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Only 66.5 for the Warriors?  Seems low.  On paper, they win every game.

Some more of that good ole fantasy basketball perspective from LarBrd33!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 12:07:45 AM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 01:39:14 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think thats about right. I have them penciled in for 70 wins. So much has to go right to have the type of season they had last year. There are a lot of new guys on the squad so it could take a bit to gel and they are really gonna rest guys down the stretch I think.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 02:30:52 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Fantasy basketball doesn't work that way.  I think you mean to say "NBA2K Perspective", which I don't know much about since I've barely played that game.

Anyways... cities should throw parades every game they manage to defeat that overloaded Golden State team.  On paper, they shouldn't lose a single game.  Added a Top 2 player to a 73 win team.  Ridiculous.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 03:05:38 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 10:38:18 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Fantasy basketball doesn't work that way.  I think you mean to say "NBA2K Perspective", which I don't know much about since I've barely played that game.

Anyways... cities should throw parades every game they manage to defeat that overloaded Golden State team.  On paper, they shouldn't lose a single game.  Added a Top 2 player to a 73 win team.  Ridiculous.

No, they added a top 2 player to the skeleton of a 73 win team.  The loss of guys like Bogut, Ezili, Barnes (well, maybe not Barnes), Barbosa, and Varejao is gonna kill them in the regular season.  A great 5-8 man rotation will help them dominate in the playoffs, but it's gonna make the regular season tough (not to mention the period before Durant gets fully integrated and the possibility of injuries).  I'd be shocked if they won 70 games again, and even 66 is unlikely
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'd take the under on the GSW line myself. 

Whether they ever come out and say it or not, I think chasing the regular season record last season took a ton out of them.  I think they'll take more of the San Antonio approach this season and try to coast through the regular season then try & turn it on come playoff time (sound familiar?).

Also, I think, much like when the Heatles were first put together, that they'll be some growing pains adding Durant to the mix.    Add BitterJim's above thoughts on the bench, and I think there is a real potential recipe here to dial things back this regular or simply just not be able to do what they did last year on a night in/night out basis.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 11:17:40 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

No, they added a top 2 player to the skeleton of a 73 win team.  The loss of guys like Bogut, Ezili, Barnes (well, maybe not Barnes), Barbosa, and Varejao is gonna kill them in the regular season.  A great 5-8 man rotation will help them dominate in the playoffs, but it's gonna make the regular season tough (not to mention the period before Durant gets fully integrated and the possibility of injuries).  I'd be shocked if they won 70 games again, and even 66 is unlikely

Most importantly Green is going to play a ton off the ball. His play will really fall off.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2016, 01:39:40 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Yeah I mean it's not much of a bold stance to say they will win less than 67.  Guys might get injured. They will probably coast the entire season.  Back in the dominant shaq/Kobe days those teams basically took the regular season off and won like 50 games.

I'm just saying that on paper, that team should be ashamed of themselves if they lose a single game.  Unprecedented collection of talent.  If they fail to win the championship they should all be forced to retire.

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Golden State is top heavy. You read it here first.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2016, 03:06:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Uh ... no, I've seen that opinion put out there in many different places before this.

I don't buy it.  Livingston, Iguodala, West is already the makings of a very solid bench.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2016, 03:09:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I'd take the under on the GSW line myself. 

Whether they ever come out and say it or not, I think chasing the regular season record last season took a ton out of them.  I think they'll take more of the San Antonio approach this season and try to coast through the regular season then try & turn it on come playoff time (sound familiar?).

Also, I think, much like when the Heatles were first put together, that they'll be some growing pains adding Durant to the mix.    Add BitterJim's above thoughts on the bench, and I think there is a real potential recipe here to dial things back this regular or simply just not be able to do what they did last year on a night in/night out basis.

I think the Warriors will look a lot more like the 07-08 Celts did when they first came together.  Dray, Klay, and KD already have some reps together thanks to the Olympics.

The fit was awkward from the start for the Heatles.  Wade and Bron had played basically identical roles their whole careers, while Bosh was used to being a go-to guy.

There won't be a transition of that sort of most of the Warriors.  KD may be inconsistent at first, but from day one he'll attract more defensive attention than Harrison Barnes ever did, even if all he's doing is spotting up and attacking closeouts.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2016, 03:10:33 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Uh ... no, I've seen that opinion put out there in many different places before this.

I don't buy it.  Livingston, Iguodala, West is already the makings of a very solid bench.

Do you think their bench/depth is better or worse than last year?    Do you think they'll bust their butts as hard this regular season as they did this past season?

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2016, 04:04:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Do you think their bench/depth is better or worse than last year?    Do you think they'll bust their butts as hard this regular season as they did this past season?

I think they probably have worse depth this year, and I don't think they'll try so hard to win games at the end of the season, as they did last year.

With that said, I see no reason why they can't have at least 2 of their top 4 guys on the floor at all times that the game is within 15 points.  I also think they've got some serviceable young guys at the back end of their roster, which ought to make it easier for them at least play fast and hard when the stars are sitting.  It's not like those Heat teams that had James Jones, Chris Andersen, et. al. moldering at the end of the bench.

We saw in the playoffs that they were very tough to beat even when it was just Klay and Dray leading the way.  It's just hard to see them losing very many games other than when they rest 3 or more of their top guys.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2016, 04:19:19 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I think they probably have worse depth this year, and I don't think they'll try so hard to win games at the end of the season, as they did last year.

With that said, I see no reason why they can't have at least 2 of their top 4 guys on the floor at all times that the game is within 15 points.  I also think they've got some serviceable young guys at the back end of their roster, which ought to make it easier for them at least play fast and hard when the stars are sitting.  It's not like those Heat teams that had James Jones, Chris Andersen, et. al. moldering at the end of the bench.

We saw in the playoffs that they were very tough to beat even when it was just Klay and Dray leading the way.  It's just hard to see them losing very many games other than when they rest 3 or more of their top guys.

I think they're clearly the favorite to win the title.  I just don't think we'll see them go gangbusters this regular like we did last year.  You have to be very good to win 67+ games but you also have to be very fortunate too from a health standpoint.  Btw the integration of Durant, the changes to their depth, & the always possible injury bug, I think its certain that we'll see a regression from this Golden State team in the regular season.  Even to the point of 7-10 less wins. 

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2016, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I'm super interested to see if Durant's efficiency skyrockets.  Instead of playing with an overrated chucker like Westbrook he'll be playing with two of the best shooters in the world.  The spacing should be ridiculous.   I'm curious to see if Durant shoots higher percentages than Steph.  Don't be too surprised if this ends up a similar situation like Miami where people thought it would remain Wade's team... Durant might be the most gifted basketball player in the world... it will be fun to see what happens, but it could old fast if the Warriors start dominating teams by 50 points every night.  On paper, nobody can defend that team. 

But really, this isn't at all the same as Miami's Big 3 or Boston's 2008 Big 3 or The Lakers superteam.  This is unprecedented territory.   We're talking about an in-prime Top 3 player joining a historically dominant team.   The Warriors would be easy favorites to win this year even without adding arguably the greatest offensive player in the world.  Would be like adding Shaq to the 72 win Bulls, but in this case Durant fits perfectly with the system Golden State was already running.