Author Topic: Do most people think that the Celtics Won't Pay up for Isaiah Thomas?  (Read 9210 times)

Re: Do most people think that the Celtics Won't Pay up for Isaiah Thomas?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 08:26:28 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't think the market will force his price up to $25M range (although I am usually wrong and salaries always end up higher than I think).  I think we can get him on a more reasonable deal and I would be fine with that.  If he walks for a big deal I am OK with that.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 08:28:49 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
It's bad business to give him the max, which will be ridiculous, but he is the best thing to happen to the city of Boston since Larry Bird (with no disrespect to Ortiz and Pierce)
I'd say Pierce, KG and Ray were better - and that's just basketball.

Ortiz, Pedro, Manny and Schilling in terms of baseball.  Red Sox still own Boston, especially when doing well. 

Brady, I mean, come on.  Even Gronk

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 08:44:02 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 08:30:31 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
The issue isn't signing him at the time of his contract. It's doling out that money for a 5'9" point guard who will be in his 30s by the end of that contract, and who relies on speed as his main way of scoring.

It's why I (personally) would love to see one of the young guys like Smart or Rozier develop into a starting caliber point guard. That way, I truly believe Isaiah would take one for the team if it led to more wins (imagine an elite Smart starting and Thomas backing him up!) and settle into a true 6th man role., especially as he transitions to the latter years of his career. That way, his ego is in check, and he hopefully doesn't demand that big pay day.

I can't imagine an elite player in smart. Even if he becomes average on offense that's so far away from what Thomas brings.

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's bad business to give him the max, which will be ridiculous, but he is the best thing to happen to the city of Boston since Larry Bird (with no disrespect to Ortiz and Pierce)

Ortiz, Pedro, Manny and Schilling in terms of baseball.  Red Sox still own Boston, especially when doing well. 

Sox are doing well right now, having just swept the Yankees, so this is bad timing for this statement:  I think the Pats have assumed the reigns as the top pro sports team in Boston.

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2016, 11:07:33 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Brady is arguably the best thing that's happened to humanity A.D.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2016, 11:26:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Sox are doing well right now, having just swept the Yankees, so this is bad timing for this statement:  I think the Pats have assumed the reigns as the top pro sports team in Boston.
I'd have to say it's still the Sox -- by a slight margin.  once Brady retires, it'll still be the Sox and it'll go back to being by a wide margin.  Sox are always in the conversation year round whether they're good or they suck.  Pats have only really reached that level since Brady won superbowls. 

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 11:27:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

if you're a Pats fan.  not so much if you're a Skins fan like me.  have to say though, even as a Skins fan, I still like the guy and respect him a lot as a player.  I think Deflategate was a bunch of garbage. 

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I believe that much will depend on the development of Terry Rozier and Marcus Smart, not to mention which players the Celts end up taking with the Nets' picks in 2017 and 2018.

Giving a 4 or 5 year max deal to a super-undersized point guard at age 29 will be tough to countenance, regardless.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 12:51:01 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

That's just going too far and absurd.

You're forgetting about two other key players that led us to #17 along with Pierce.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I think there is not much difference between what Ainge would offer IT and what he would offer a 6'2" PG with the same level of offensive and defensive production.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2016, 12:59:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

That's just going too far and absurd.

You're forgetting about two other key players that led us to #17 along with Pierce.
Yup, along with Horford who is a "transformative" player which IT is not.

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2016, 01:01:20 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I've been saying this all along.  We should have drafted Dunn to replace IT in 2 years.  IT will NOT be a celtic in 2 years... Zero chance Danny blows his cap on a 30 year old IT.

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 01:14:36 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

Definitely one of the wackiest posts I've seen on the internet. Once he said no disrespect to Oritz and Pierce, it made me think that he was serious. IT prob does not crack the top 20 of best things to happen to the city of Boston in just the last 10 years. Zero playoff series wins for IT in Boston.

Am I happy he is here? Yes. Is he irreplaceable? Certainly not.

TB12 and Big Papi will both be on Boston sports' Mt Rushmore. Isaiah? He will likely play for the Celtics for 4 years and then follow the $.

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 01:17:45 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

For those of us who don't buy into fairy tales, TB12 is the greatest contributor to humanity BC as well.

This post still is not as ridiculous as IT being the best thing to happen to Boston since Larry Bird.

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2016, 01:28:00 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Definitely one of the wackiest posts I've seen on the internet. Once he said no disrespect to Oritz and Pierce, it made me think that he was serious. IT prob does not crack the top 20 of best things to happen to the city of Boston in just the last 10 years. Zero playoff series wins for IT in Boston.

Am I happy he is here? Yes. Is he irreplaceable? Certainly not.

TB12 and Big Papi will both be on Boston sports' Mt Rushmore. Isaiah? He will likely play for the Celtics for 4 years and then follow the $.

Not even Pierce or Ortiz or Bird. The guy who posted that comment never even mentioned the great Bill Russell lol smh.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)