Author Topic: Do most people think that the Celtics Won't Pay up for Isaiah Thomas?  (Read 9219 times)

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Reading through the forums, I've noticed that many are talking about Rozier/DJax as potential pg alternatives for when Isaiah's contract is up. Do you think the Celtics pony up $25m+ per year on a long term deal to keep the little guy around?

I would shoot for a bigger name at such a high salary, but would be fine paying him the big $ as a 2nd/3rd option.

Re: Do most people think that the Celtics Won't Pay up for Isaiah Thomas?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 06:51:48 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
The issue isn't signing him at the time of his contract. It's doling out that money for a 5'9" point guard who will be in his 30s by the end of that contract, and who relies on speed as his main way of scoring.

It's why I (personally) would love to see one of the young guys like Smart or Rozier develop into a starting caliber point guard. That way, I truly believe Isaiah would take one for the team if it led to more wins (imagine an elite Smart starting and Thomas backing him up!) and settle into a true 6th man role., especially as he transitions to the latter years of his career. That way, his ego is in check, and he hopefully doesn't demand that big pay day.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The issue isn't signing him at the time of his contract. It's doling out that money for a 5'9" point guard who will be in his 30s by the end of that contract, and who relies on speed as his main way of scoring.

It's why I (personally) would love to see one of the young guys like Smart or Rozier develop into a starting caliber point guard. That way, I truly believe Isaiah would take one for the team if it led to more wins (imagine an elite Smart starting and Thomas backing him up!) and settle into a true 6th man role., especially as he transitions to the latter years of his career. That way, his ego is in check, and he hopefully doesn't demand that big pay day.

bingo! I love IT, he's a bonafide NBA weapon. I'd love to have him as a 6th man even into his early 30's.
His attack style of PG, (along with his defensive limitations), would make him one of the best 6th men in the league for years to come. Certainly a valuable asset to have.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 07:32:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
He would start the next contract at 29 in 2018 and would turn 30 during the first season on a new deal. It is fair to say it is highly likely his game would deteriorate in the second half of a 5 year deal.

There is also the 2017 draft. Things can completely change in the next 9 months or so, but as of now Markelle Fultz and Dennis Smith both look like they have superstar potential. If Harry Giles doesn't pan out or isn't available, if we get the chance it might be best to take Fultz or Smith and try to trade IT for a big.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:43:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

bingo! I love IT, he's a bonafide NBA weapon. I'd love to have him as a 6th man even into his early 30's.
His attack style of PG, (along with his defensive limitations), would make him one of the best 6th men in the league for years to come. Certainly a valuable asset to have.
have to agree.  He's best suited as 6th man -- scoring spark plug off the bench.  I wouldn't pay what he's expected to ask for on his next deal though.  I'd look to trade him before then and use that money on a better player.  of course, with the C's making him the face of the franchise lately, that does create a negative image for the franchise to ship out their 'face' because they don't want to pay him.

I'm not as big a fan of IT as many here.  I see too many flaws in his game that I just don't like.  I'd have no issue with using him in a trade to bring in someone better.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 10:30:31 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think they'll probably pay up.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:37:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I believe it is in "IT 's " best .....long term interest to sign a mutual friendly deal

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 10:39:12 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Double post
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:41:03 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
It's bad business to give him the max, which will be ridiculous, but he is the best thing to happen to the city of Boston since Larry Bird (with no disrespect to Ortiz and Pierce)
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 10:48:01 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
He would start the next contract at 29 in 2018 and would turn 30 during the first season on a new deal. It is fair to say it is highly likely his game would deteriorate in the second half of a 5 year deal.

There is also the 2017 draft. Things can completely change in the next 9 months or so, but as of now Markelle Fultz and Dennis Smith both look like they have superstar potential. If Harry Giles doesn't pan out or isn't available, if we get the chance it might be best to take Fultz or Smith and try to trade IT for a big.

I could see Danny taking a PG with the Nets pick of the situation came up. Also as noted  Rozier and/or Smart could rise the the occasion. A lot depends on what IT really wants too.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 10:49:45 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It's bad business to give him the max, which will be ridiculous, but he is the best thing to happen to the city of Boston since Larry Bird (with no disrespect to Ortiz and Pierce)

Going a little crazy here!

Some guy named Tom Brady isn't that bad either.  ;)

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 12:02:28 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Going a little crazy here!

Some guy named Tom Brady isn't that bad either.  ;)

Yeah, and unlike the former two, Isaiah hasn't led us to any championships. Ortiz, Pierce, and Brady have done a LOT more for Boston than IT, but Thomas has made a reasonably big impact.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2016, 03:19:53 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't see why his game is so at risk going into his 30s. He's in incredible shape and looks like the kind of guy that could play at a high level late into his 30s. He's definitely worth the max, the only question is if we can win a championship with him as one of the 3 main guys.

I think ideally we extend him over the summer rather than wait til 2018. Obviously go for the big FA first but if you miss out on them. After extending him we are still in a great position to make a trade for a long term guy like Cousins and we'd have more flexibility in future years for adding role players

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2016, 07:38:29 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I would say probably not.  I think his liability on the defensive end will be too much for Ainge.

HOWEVER, let's see how things go this season with an improved cast of characters.  We all know he will be deadly in the PNR with Horford, and perhaps Smart can help out of defensive side.

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
the only question is if we can win a championship with him as one of the 3 main guys.

This is the question Danny has to answer.  If yes, of course you sign him.  If no, of course it gets trickier.  Do you trade him before summer of 2018?  Do you sign him at some point between now and then to protect your asset, to use in a future trade?  What if a trade doesn't materialize?  It is all risky stuff.